CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

chick in need of help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 04:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default chick in need of help

Ok, so here's my problem. I have and 87 600 I know nothing about what to do with fixing this bike. It has already sat for this summer and I want to be able to ride it next year. Any help that I can get I would appreciate. I know I have a spare engine, carbs, headlight, and a few other things. I am needing all the plastics for it. I have some but all the mounting tabs are broken. Just looking for any and all information that I can get.
Thanks a million.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:16 AM

Does the bike run at all or is it simply a cosmetic fix-up that you need help on?

Old 09-13-2009, 08:49 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

What part of town are you from? I can't help out on the plastics but can lead you in the rite direction on shops around town if you are unable to do the work yourself. Doug

Old 09-13-2009, 11:01 AM

If your plastics are still in good shape minus the mounting tabs, you could try what Airtech suggests for the stuff they sell...

Originally Posted by Airtech's Website
Buy some little metal L-brackets, some flat stock and 5-minute epoxy at any home improvement store. Bend and cut your own tabs, drill some small holes and use the 5-minute epoxy to mount your custom made tabs on the inside of the fairing.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:05 PM

What all is wrong with it? You say you have a lot of parts but does the bike run as is?

Which plastic parts do you have that are completely unusable?
Which plastic parts are missing?
Which one are missing tabs or mounting points.

Pictures?

KongBastard

Old 09-14-2009, 04:55 PM

Pull the side covers off. You need a flat blade screw driver to turn the black plastic fastener need the front of the cover half a turn or so. The cover will pull away at the bottom edge first. There are two plastic tabs that push into rubber grommets and a tab at the top rear of the panels.
Next there are two 12mm bolts holding the seat to the frame, one on each side. Remove them by turning them counter clockwise. The front end of the seat is held in place by a large plastic tab on the base of the seat. Pull the back end of the seat up and slide it back.
Now you should be able to see a black cover with three 10mm bolts. This is the cover for your battery box. Remove the three bolts to gain access to your battery. Since your bike has been sitting the battery may have discharged and will not start the bike. The best bet is to charge it with a low amperage charger to avoid damaging it.
The bike has been sitting for some time? You may need to drain the old fuel and put fresh gas in. With the right sidecover off you can see the fuel tap and inline filter. The hoses are held on with a spring type clamp. Squeeze the tabs together and slide the clamp toward the middle to remove the line for draining.
With a charge on the battery and fresh fuel you will have a better chance to start the bike and troubleshoot any further issues. Good luck.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:30 PM

You need a boyfriend who loves working on bikes.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you're know much about them, so I'd suggest having a professional take a look at what you have and go from there. In the long run it could be cheaper to part it out and buy one complete and running. Just my .02

Old 09-15-2009, 10:02 AM

Ah...come on Dao, we all gotta start learning somehow and with something. What better place than here? What better time than now?

At least she was smart enough to find the forum and post up.

Besides, you should never underestimate a female on a mission.

Old 09-15-2009, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by DaoJones
You need a boyfriend who loves working on bikes.

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you're know much about them, so I'd suggest having a professional take a look at what you have and go from there. In the long run it could be cheaper to part it out and buy one complete and running. Just my .02
Honestly Dao - I'm no expert by any means either - Hell I'm no shadetree mechanic for that matter. How else do you learn? I've got friends I ask a lot of questions to and I always have the forum. This place is better than an encyclopedia.

Old 09-15-2009, 07:59 PM

So here's the deal. I do have a boyfriend who can help, but hasn't so far. I'm done with him so I want to learn on my own. He rides a Buell so doesn't know about these bikes anyhow. It didn't run at all when he bought it for me. I know he has done some work to it so now it runs. It needs fork seals. I am just looking for a starting point to do what I can to get it going. I do have a manual but that is like a foreign language. I know that whoever had it before me jacked the igniton up so that is one of my priorities. I don't know of any shops other than Honda in Whiteland, IN. I live on the southside of Indy so any help there is very beneficial. I don't think any of the plastic is worth anything. I have looked at it and I don't know if any can really be repaired. I will have to look again, it has been a while.
Thrasher-thanks for the info. The battery was dead and we put it on a charger. It actually has the seat off of it anyhow.
Dao- I don't know much but very eager to learn. Thx for the vote of confidence. Besides MischiefMan has it right don't ever underestimate a female on a mission. Especially one who fell of a bike had her head bust open and got back on and got her license after all that!!!
We have also considered selling it as is, but the issue becomes finding something that I like and in the price range to buy. This one I can at least get running and work on plastics as I go. So, since some were helpful and others just want to bash. There is MY .02 worth.

Quick Reply: chick in need of help