CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

charging system problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: charging system problem

you could try your local electronics supply store or online store,but my guess is that you may just need to get a completely different3 or4 pin molex connector and redo both the female and male connections. the oem connectors arepretty hard to find. should cost you no more than a few dollars for the pair.

try looking for something like this:
http://www.kayjayco.com/catPConnectors.htm

http://www.suresealconnections.com/orderSamples.html

http://www.sherco-auto.com/cg.htm

Old 02-15-2008, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so i can just use any 3 pin connetor as long as the wire gauge is right
tahnks for all the help ill post back if this fixes it or not
thanks again

Old 02-15-2008, 02:09 PM

find a connector that is bladed as it will give better contact and handle more amperage. don't forget to use the grease to prevent corrosion.

come to think of it, you might be able to find replacement automotive type molex connectors at the auto store.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:19 PM

ok so i put in a new connector and i started it fine before i started it the batery was at 12.6 and after i started it it slowly increased to around 13.5 and when i hit the gas up to about 5k rpm it would increase then after 5k it will stop. is that right i am gonna post back after i get to ride it further then the 2-3 i did today and say whats happening

Old 02-16-2008, 09:07 AM

Yep that sounds about right. The Voltage Regulator is what keeps it from getting TOO high over about 5k rpm. If you hit the battery with 18 volts or something for too long of a time it will boil and make a mess.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:20 PM

hey i rode my bike around for about 60-70 miles and i came home tried to start it this morning and it tried and then the battery went out just couldnt hardly turn the engine. i dont know where my problem lies any more. i am charging the battery and then i plan on starting it and checking the volts while it runs and revs. then my only other geuss it that the r/r stops working when it gets hot if the can even happen. any suggestions would help i thought the problem was fixed after i replaced the connection thanks again.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:49 PM

check the rr and see if it is toast. could be that it is old. or see if any part of the rr is running goo. that is usually a sign that it is burnt. but if you see no external problems, you'll have to put a meter to it.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:32 PM

alright i am charging the battery now then i am gonna see if i leak any power while the bike just sits there key out and everything then i will check the r/r i dont think it is bad i think i leak power somewhere but ill check everything just for the peace of mind

Old 02-18-2008, 11:45 PM

ok so i pluged every thing back together and started the bike. the volts in the battery went up slightly and when i reved the engine up to 5000rpm the volts only every hit 12.8 or so. i didnt have the bike at normal operating temperater. i dont know if that effects anything. so the volts do go up a little but not enough to keep the battery tip top. anythingany ofyou can think of that would cause this. when i changed out the coupler i may have accidently mixed one of the wires up becuse my splice came off of two of the wires at the same time and i tried to hook them up right but not sure. could that cause this? any help is again appreciated.
thanks again

Old 02-19-2008, 05:46 PM

please just a little more help i am so close and the weather here is great just need to see what needs to be done. i will be doing a check on the stator and the r/r tonight tell me if you have any thoughts on what it should be thanks again.

Quick Reply: charging system problem