CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Charging problems, need some help

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 11:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging problems, need some help

Hi, I need some guidance regarding the charging system on my cbr 600 1990. Typical symptoms, I charge the battery, shows a healthy 12,9v - 13,1v. I ride around town some short trips some longer. Week later the battery is dead and starter does not turn. Push starts no prob.

First of all I have a new battery in there and I have been working my way through the manual.
In step one battery leakage inspection im suppose to disconnect the batteries negative terminal and check the voltage between the negative wire and negative battery terminal (suppose to show 8 V) but there is barely a reading on the multimeter, about 0.01-0.02.

Checked the grounds after I cleaned/sanded all the connections with the peep setting ground good throughout the bike but still no reading of 8 v!

What does this mean?? The manual does not say! Is it my reg/rec?

Checked reg/rec, red and green show correct battery voltage. Yellow connectors on reg/rec side dont give squat. Are they suppose to give 0.1-1.0 ohm ? Manual unclear about this..

Also checked the stator , all show 0.5 ohms and nothing to ground. Guess stator is fine.

When bike is running voltage does not go above 12,9v, 5000 rpm barely goes above 13v.

Im thinking its the regulator rectifier but can anyone confirm?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by eidura; 05-19-2017 at 11:53 AM. Reason: Accidental submit
Old 05-20-2017, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi have a look at this , a full test for your stator reg/rec

Attached Files
Old 05-20-2017, 09:17 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the stator checks out and your battery is truly good (should be load tested if it has gone flat to verify), then you need a new rectifier. Don't buy a cheap one. Get a MOSFET kit and be done with it.

You should check all the wires and connectors for corrosion, breaks and burning as well.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:37 PM

Thanks guys.

Old 05-25-2017, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by eidura
Thanks guys.
Did you fix your moto or not?

Old 05-25-2017, 05:40 AM

I ordered a new reg/rec, was able to pin down the problem to that. I will receive it on the 31 of may. Will let you know how it goes.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by eidura
I ordered a new reg/rec, was able to pin down the problem to that. I will receive it on the 31 of may. Will let you know how it goes.
Here is a link how you could check yourself the voltage regulator for next time.If you have a voltmeter you could check the old voltage regulator to be sure that's your problem.
http://youtu.be/F8EjV0IjW9Q

Old 05-25-2017, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Edgardj
Here is a link how you could check yourself the voltage regulator for next time.If you have a voltmeter you could check the old voltage regulator to be sure that's your problem.
http://youtu.be/F8EjV0IjW9Q
Important:
You could do this test only with your stock voltage regulator(non MOSFET type).I have a 2003 Honda 954 basically with the same charging issues symptoms of yours.Make all the test by the manual but the manual did not have any data to test the voltage regulator itself.I make the voltage regulator test following the video with multimeter and got it one faulty diode on voltage regulator.Order new OEM one and problem resolve.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgardj
Important:
You could do this test only with your stock voltage regulator(non MOSFET type).I have a 2003 Honda 954 basically with the same charging issues symptoms of yours.Make all the test by the manual but the manual did not have any data to test the voltage regulator itself.I make the voltage regulator test following the video with multimeter and got it one faulty diode on voltage regulator.Order new OEM one and problem resolve.
Honda OEM regulator will eventually fail. It's one of the few weak spots on Honda's. The best fix is a MOSFET regulator kit as I mentioned earlier in this thread. Diode test is only needed when voltage tests do not show an error IMO.

Old 05-25-2017, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by dennisgb
Honda OEM regulator will eventually fail. It's one of the few weak spots on Honda's. The best fix is a MOSFET regulator kit as I mentioned earlier in this thread. Diode test is only needed when voltage tests do not show an error IMO.
I was searching for mosfet type for my Honda 954 but I cant find it anywhere.So I decide to buy OEM one.

Quick Reply: Charging problems, need some help