CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

CCT questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 10:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CCT questions

Since im putting a cbr600 engine in a smaller sand rail, i would expect to be perfromance driving and i heard something about the stock CCT not working so good for that. Could i just use the stock CCT or would i need to get something else, and if so, what?

Old 11-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The issue you've heard about is that the stock, auto-adjusting CCT quits following the
chain and lets slack build up. You can replace it with a manual adjust CCT, after-
market. If you aren't currently experiencing issues with the stock one, don't bother
swapping it. However, it IS advisable to monitor/be aware of the CCT because it
might quit working properly, but till it does, why spend the money?

Ern

Old 11-02-2011, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by MadHattr059
The issue you've heard about is that the stock, auto-adjusting CCT quits following the
chain and lets slack build up. You can replace it with a manual adjust CCT, after-
market. If you aren't currently experiencing issues with the stock one, don't bother
swapping it. However, it IS advisable to monitor/be aware of the CCT because it
might quit working properly, but till it does, why spend the money?

Ern
this is a poor concept. waiting til it fails is foolish on something KNOWN to fail. get the manual NOW to save the headaches. anytime you're dealing with known failure parts, replace them BEFORE they fail and leave you stranded.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:46 AM

^^ truth. otherwise you might as well wait til your tire falls off. otherwise you waste money! :P

Old 11-03-2011, 05:56 AM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

*Sigh*, drawing my advice given about a specific piece of hardware into a general
philosophy of bike maintenance is a dis-service.

The cct is only a POTENTIAL failure point. There have been enough failures over the
life of the bikes to make it something to be aware of. There have not been enough
failures to run screaming to your HONDA dealer demanding re-dress. Drawing larger
conclusions from advice given on a particular technical issue is a failed logic.

Benign neglect on a part that might fail, is not negligence. If the cct begins to fail it
will not strand you or lead to catastrophic engine damage. It will just introduce a little
noise to the engine. If you check your bike on a regular basis (as I advised), you will
spot the potential failure long before it will cause any problems.

Altough the part has the potential to fail, it has a MUCH higher potential to function
for the life of the bike. Thus my advice to monitor but not panic/replace it.

If even the possibility bothers you (and you have the money) by all means, replace it
with a more maintenance intensive part. I understand the drive for excellence. I just
don't think it applies to this specific issue.

Ern

Old 11-03-2011, 06:09 AM

A.P.E manual CCT is what you want, but i agree with Mad if it's not noisey save your $$$.

Old 11-03-2011, 09:09 AM

I dont. I'm **** about things simply not failing to begin with, and removal of failure prone parts proven TO fail is the way to do that. in the case of the Hurricane, a MOSFET regulator relocated from the engine bay, a manual CCT, and good oil.

but I also work on this kind of thing all the time. I'm totally used to older GSXRs sounding like diesels because of the CCT being ****.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by Bobthebiker
I dont. I'm **** about things simply not failing to begin with, and removal of failure prone parts proven TO fail is the way to do that. in the case of the Hurricane, a MOSFET regulator relocated from the engine bay, a manual CCT, and good oil.

but I also work on this kind of thing all the time. I'm totally used to older GSXRs sounding like diesels because of the CCT being ****.
But seriously dude we're talking about a sand rail here so he's hardly going to be commuting on it everyday.

Last edited by RedBaron; 11-04-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:58 AM

suit yourselves. I have OCD and cant handle things rattling that shouldnt. it places the mind ill at ease, and makes it something you DONT wanna run or ride.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:02 AM

Alright, so ill have to get a muffler before i can tell whether i need to get the manual CCT or not. And bob said something about a mosfet regulator, whats that for?

Quick Reply: CCT questions