CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Cbr600FL / Hurricane Forks Question.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 12:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cbr600FL / Hurricane Forks Question.

Hello. I have a 1990 FL/Hurricane.

Picture just for those who like them.

Anyway, the right fork seal started to leak after I put air into the forks, as the damping was off. So I serviced both forks, as they had not been done for 9 years. [&:]I know. But listen. The bike had been stood in a lady owners garage for all that time before it found it's way to me. It's only done 20k miles. Runs sweet as.
I used pattern part seals. Have put 5psi in the forks, and within a week the right fork is leaking again. The manual talks about internal parts being damaged if you put too much air in the forks. Anything over 6psi.
Now I am thinking. Is it a pattern part that is to blame. Is it possible I put too much air in the first time. Now I'm fairly sure I didn't put too much air in. But lets say I did. What other than the fork seal could be damaged? Any ideas.
First things first I'm going to put some Mr. Honda seals in at the weekend.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:51 PM
Default RE: Cbr600FL / Hurricane Forks Question.

the air fork setup is a flawed design to begin with IMO. I just let the pressure flat out of mine and ride like that. to improve dampening, or anything else, you're better off with another set of forks that has actual adjustments for this.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:52 PM

make sure there aren't any nicks or scratches in the chrome. lube the seals with whatever fluid you are using when you install them. make sure you seat the seals squarely, with a proper tool.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:30 PM

Thank you people. I have thought about newer forks, but not sure which year to go for. Do you have any sugestions on which cbr ones would be best for a pc23 1990 cbr? Also, how do I give positive karma in this forum (e.g add to your stars to say thanks) ?

Old 10-15-2008, 02:44 PM

I dont think we have the rep/karma thing on this forum. but hey, saying thanks is plenty I do believe. the one thing you have to remember with going to new forks, is you'll have to buy a new set of triple trees to go with them, since the Hurricane uses 37mm forks, and the rest of the modern world's bikes use like 41, 42mm and so on diameter forks, which obviously wont fit in the Hurricane's triples.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:46 PM

i think you only get stars from the amount of posts you make.
i've heard that the front suspension from a F2 will work, 91-94?
you will need everything to do the swap
tripple trees, forks, wheel/axle/brakes, fender
you also have to cut off the steering stops

Old 10-15-2008, 04:20 PM

NP, very grateful for your help/advice. If you like I can throw in a joke as way of saying thanks.
Buying a new front end sounds expensive for now.I'll try the Honda part first.
I hope it's the pattern part. No problems with the legs or chrome. My friend brought, a PC23 and had problems with pattern parts. A wheel bearing that was, would you believe over 1mm too small. [&:]. Just goes to show that all that what is cheap, is usually just that. I'll do the work this weekend and let you know how it goes. I'll double check onseating the seals squarely. I'm hoping that all the bushes are ok. On the last fork rebuild they all looked as they should. They had no copper exposed, and all the Teflon coating was good. One other thing makes me suspect I might have bust a part, is that it has only lost fluid on the same side that was the start of this work. Suppose the old method of trying it and seeing is the best way forward for now. Thanks again.

It is hard to find a joke today without a dirty word or two in it, but, here is one:

Two tall trees, a birch and a beech, are growing in the woods. A small tree begins to grow between them, and the beech says to the birch, 'Is that a son of a beech or a son of a birch?' The birch says he cannot tell.
Just then a woodpecker lands on the sapling.The birch says, 'Woodpecker, you are a tree expert. Can you tell if that is a son of a beech or a son of a birch?
'The woodpecker takes a taste of the small tree. He replies, 'It is neither a son of a beech nor a son of a birch. It is, however, the best piece of ash I have ever put my pecker in.'

Old 10-15-2008, 04:58 PM

thats a good joke. I like it. and yes, OEM Honda parts usually are best in applications of most any sort. Even on kawasuckis, Honda parts tend to give them 40 hp more. Not really, but the OEM parts are best. Otherwise, a GOOD quality name, like K&L or Pyramid are best. chinese knockoff parts though, can rot in their packaging before I'll buy them.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:00 PM

Bah, ha, ha!

Old 10-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you need more info on frontend swap, check this link:

http://www.cbrextreme.com/forum/cbr-600-f1-'hurricane'/front-suspension-swap/

Quick Reply: Cbr600FL / Hurricane Forks Question.