CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Bought '87 Hurricane- What on Earth is this?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought '87 Hurricane- What on Earth is this?

Hey, guys. Bought my brother a bike to fix up and learn to ride on. My father and him stripped it today and found this under the rear left fairing. What on Earth is this? It has several hoses going into it and is duct-taped to the frame... Please see attachments, and let us know what is SUPPOSED to be there!

Attached Thumbnails Bought '87 Hurricane- What on Earth is this?-wtffluidcan.jpg   Bought '87 Hurricane- What on Earth is this?-fluidcan1.jpg   Bought '87 Hurricane- What on Earth is this?-fluidcan2.jpg  
Old 06-16-2013, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by Samantha071600cc
Hey, guys. Bought my brother a bike to fix up and learn to ride on. My father and him stripped it today and found this under the rear left fairing. What on Earth is this? It has several hoses going into it and is duct-taped to the frame... Please see attachments, and let us know what is SUPPOSED to be there!
First impression is it looks like a home made Scottoiler but without knowing where the hoses go to it's difficult to say!

John

Old 06-16-2013, 04:20 AM

Mine has nothing there. Where do the hoses run to? If it is the vent hoses to the carbs, etc etc it might be from someone trying to keep anything vented from hitting the ground.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:04 AM

Hi guys, the detached hose above the bottle in pic 2 has the fuel filter on it and should be attached to the fuel pump. Is there a cylindrical thing inside the bottle? If there is then it could be that the PO has done a diy fix on the fuel pump. The fuel pump casing could've gone bad and putting the whole thing in a sealed bottle could get around the problem if the pump was still working. Have you had any fueling problems?

Check out the honda service manual and the section on the fuel system. It might help pinpoint what's going on.

Put a pic up of what's inside the bottle we'd like to see what's in there (if anything).

If it's what I think it is I would get a properly working fuel pump.

Hope these ideas help a little.

Good luck with it. You've got a cracking bike to learn on. This is my first bigger bike too.

Rog

Old 06-16-2013, 07:12 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

No expert, but I think it's a brake fluid bottle.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:39 AM

We'll open the bottle today and update. I had looked through pictures of naked bikes and didn't see anything there! So odd. Thanks very much for replies so far.

Old 06-16-2013, 09:54 AM

Ok. Seems like the 4 hoses go to: 1) rear shock, 2) left side of oil cooler, 3) right side of oil cooler, and 4) bottom of battery. So, they are all overflow lines... Hmm.

Old 06-16-2013, 01:36 PM
Thumbs up

I guess I was way off with my fuel pump idea!! ha ha

I'm glad it's overflow pipes. I think if that was my bike I'd put the lines back to how they should go.

Safe riding

Rog

Old 06-16-2013, 02:23 PM

There was nothing in the bottle. No idea why dude would have put the hoses into it.

Main problem right now is that bike won't rev. It idles irregularly and only idles with choke all the way on. Give some throttle, and it shuts off. Sprayed carb cleaner in carbs, ran some Seafoam through fuel line, and it still shuts off with throttle.

Tried to take carbs out to actually clean them, and the 8 freakin' bolts on the air box are tight as Hell. Got the top 4 off but can not get the bottom 4 off. Soaking them in WD-40 right now.

Last edited by Samantha071600cc; 06-16-2013 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 03:30 PM

The hoses might have been run there if he was on a track. I'm not sure but I think they are pretty strict about no fluids hitting the asphalt. It sounds like the pilot jets are plugged if it will only idle with the choke on. the carbs have to come out for that. The best way to clean the jets is to take them out soak them in carb cleaner and run a fine wire through them then I blow compressed air through them too.

Quick Reply: Bought '87 Hurricane- What on Earth is this?