CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

the bike so far..

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default the bike so far..

Started cleaning and fixing little bits and pieces here's before and after, though not much has changed, just wanna keep track of the stuff I've done, and maybe get some pointers along the way!:

Before:
Name:  cbrside.jpg
Views: 12
Size:  110.0 KB....note the rust and grayish exhaust, dusty, just ugly in general..

After:
Name:  SDC10193.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  129.9 KB..got the side fairings fixed and on and wiped her down, a coupla coats on the exhaust and it already looks WAY better!

next on the list:
Trim the front fairing tabs off and smooth the edge a bit.
drill a small hole for the side fairings to mount right behind the plastic screw (the bracket for the lowers are right behind there, prolly not necessary, but it'll help my peace of mind).
Get a new front fairing, the crack on the front is probably to big to fix, and if it isn't I haven't a clue how to do it.
The header wasn't dented near as bad as I had thought, but new headers is on the list anyway.

I still have a good left hand side mid and lower fairing for sale or trade, have no idea what they go for so make me an offer:
Name:  SDC10185.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  104.8 KB

Old 05-02-2009, 01:35 PM

looking good. how does it run?
you might just want to keep an eye out for another fairing, instead of going the street fighter look. i forget the name of the adhesive, but i've used a product that bonds plactic back together. you might be able to use MEK, to "melt" the plastic and fuse it together. ill post back when i recall the name of the product i used.

Old 05-02-2009, 02:56 PM

As nice as the complete bike looks (I Googled the hell out of it before I bought it), I really like it better without the lower fairings, I decided to keep the cracked lower that I had planned on throwing away and maybe fix it so that I'd have a choice..but I really like it the way it is now, as for running the one time I rode it, it blew me away, both of the other bikes I've owned ('81 Suzuki GS850G/'87 Honda VR500F), were slow in comparison, I'm waiting on my headlight to get it inspected, then I ride Afraid of getting pulled over right now (has insurance, but no tags, and I don't have my permit, never had my permit...waiting on my birth certificate now so I can go get it).

Old 05-04-2009, 08:07 AM

love the red and white, so much that I have mine done up in red and white, just not the same scheme. I know that one benefit I noticed with the side fairings is when it is cold or I get caught in the rain. keeps you a bit warm and dry. but they do look ok without them. any mods to the bike, or is it all stock? enjoy it, they are a nice reliable and pretty solid bike unless you REALLY want to push it. I love mine for some spirited back road riding and touring, it goes well and I got 56mpg on it yesterday with a bit of back road and some highway riding. try using bleach white on the wheels, it disolves brake dust like crazy

Old 05-05-2009, 03:51 AM

Completely stock as far as I know, got the headlight in and got it all put back together last night, tonight it gets inspected and tomorrow licensed

Old 05-05-2009, 06:48 AM

enjoy the ride let us know how it goes. A jet kit and better air filter/airbox mod is a nice bump in power. mine pulls great with the box lid drilled, kn filter, jet kit, slipon, and the factory pro ignition advancer. I love it

Old 05-05-2009, 05:24 PM

Just got back from getting it inspected and licensed, and I made a rookie mistake, leaving the license office I forgot to turn the gas back on...made it a mile uphill when I started feeling the surging, thought it was done for, pulled over with my wife behind me, and turned the gas on...wouldn't start......choked it, fired right up, turned choke off, got moving and did a quick pull to 100...wow this thing is a spaceship compared to the last 2 bikes, still kinda scared of it (weary respect in my mind), but down the road, hell..skies the limit

Old 05-05-2009, 05:28 PM

that's called a healthy respect for a bit of power, enjoy it a few quick mods and it will be better still

Old 05-08-2009, 08:19 PM

I rode it to work (57 miles) thursday and wow, it's pretty dang comfortable for a sport bike, the only problem I have is a vibration in the handlebars at 6-6.5k RPM (60-65mph according to the speedo), it makes my hands go almost numb :P Is this pretty normal? I don't hear any wierd sounds from the motor or anything, so I imagine it'll be ok. GOD I LOVE THIS BIKE!

Old 05-08-2009, 09:00 PM

do you have bar end weights? I noticed that once I had the carbs sync'd up really well I got a LOT less vibration. some vibes are pretty normal though.