CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Was to attach the rear fairings?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 07:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Was to attach the rear fairings?

Hello all,

First off, Merry Christmas!

I have finally gotten the front frame of my Hurricane bent back to the proper shape so that all the fairings match up with the mountain holes as well as align properly with each other. The former owner(s?) dropped it on the right side so figuring out the problem took a while, followed by a few hours of trial and error to bend the frame back one millimeter at a time.

The only problem I have now is that the said previous owner(s?) messed with the rear fairings and the locating pins and holes did not align whatsover. They were attached using everyday nuts and bolts and were done improperly. Thus, I removed these and now have to figure out a way to mount the rare fairings.

I was thinking to put a bolt through the locating hole, tighten it down with a nut, put epoxy on the back of the bolt, put the fairing on, then loosen the nut and push the bolt back until solid contact with the fairing is made. At that point, remove it CAREFULLY so I don't ruin the angle and then use more epoxy to ensure it does not come off. The only problem with this idea is that getting the nut on and off may be relatively difficult.

Are there any better ideas than this?
Erik

Old 12-23-2015, 08:40 PM

I ran into something similar where a fairing I sourced did not have a pin to put into the hole. I either used fiberglass or epoxy to attach a tab/loop to the back of the fairing at a point where it came close to the frame and then just zip tied it to secure it. Whenever I need to remove it I just cut the zip tie and get a new one.

Old 12-24-2015, 10:07 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pictures would help.

Epoxy usually doesn't hold due to vibration. Fiberglass is the same. Will break loose eventually.

If you are trying to fix fairing ABS plastic the best thing to do is to weld it using a soldering iron. Pretty much any damage can be fixed by adding ABS plastic or fabricating a piece. I buy sheet ABS and used stick ABS with a soldering iron to weld. If done properly you can't tell repair from new and it will be very strong. There are many "How To" methods on the web.

Old 12-26-2015, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by dennisgb
Pictures would help.

Epoxy usually doesn't hold due to vibration. Fiberglass is the same. Will break loose eventually.

If you are trying to fix fairing ABS plastic the best thing to do is to weld it using a soldering iron. Pretty much any damage can be fixed by adding ABS plastic or fabricating a piece. I buy sheet ABS and used stick ABS with a soldering iron to weld. If done properly you can't tell repair from new and it will be very strong. There are many "How To" methods on the web.
Not really trying to fix a crack or missing ABS. The rear fairings attach to the motorcycle with two locating pins which literally pop into the rubber locating holes on the bike and a quarter turn screw (on the right side only i believe) The locating pins which pop into the rubber gaskets were epoxied on by the previous owners in the wrong location. I recognized this and have removed them simply by using a flathead screwdriver to pop them off of the fairings (the epoxy did not hold well at all). I don't think I can really utilize plastic welding in this case because I'll be using a metal bolt and a plastic fairing. I'm still brainstorming and trying to find the best way to go about this.

Thank you for your input, I will try and get pictures up this evening.
Merry Christmas!
Erik Muntzing

Old 12-28-2015, 06:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Erik,
If you could post some pictures it would help a lot. Sometimes verbal descriptions are difficult to follow, particularly if parts are modified, broken or missing.

If you are talking about the side tail fairing parts, the twist connectors are pretty simple in design.

Go to one of the parts supplier sites like Bike Bandit as they have very good parts diagrams for OEM Honda parts. Most parts are no longer available, but you can see what's supposed to be there and how it should work.

I have 5 CBR600F's and none of them have the proper side clips for holding these fairings on. There are ways to fix this but it's important to know what yours look like and what the issues are so post some pictures please.

Dennis

Last edited by dennisgb; 12-28-2015 at 06:30 PM.