CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Anyone done a front / rear wheel retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone done a front / rear wheel retrofit?

Just wondering if anyone had retrofitted a pair of wheels to allow newer, cheaper, radial tyres to be worn?
I have a contact who can get me part done race tyres cheap in a 120/70-17 and 180/55(or 60, depending on track)-17 and I'm hoping to set my newly acquired 'Cane up to use these sizes

Old 05-06-2014, 09:18 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probably been done. Certainly the front, but that big of a tire on the rear is a big step from the 130 oem rear. The stock swingarm won't allow it, nor would the stock rim. You would be looking at a full rear end retrofit to maybe an F4. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth, no?

Old 05-10-2014, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by CorruptFile
It's probably been done. Certainly the front, but that big of a tire on the rear is a big step from the 130 oem rear. The stock swingarm won't allow it, nor would the stock rim. You would be looking at a full rear end retrofit to maybe an F4. Sounds like more trouble than it's worth, no?

Who said we had to stick to Honda bits here?
I need to fit 'a different swingarm' to the bike, who says it has to be a Honda one?
I do have a VFR800 Swingarm in the garage though, and the hub, caliper, and rim...... Maybe that + an F2 wheel in the standard forks could be the answer?
Or a ZX6R J Swingarm, got one of them spare....

I think I need to post my Kwak buildthread somewhere on here so you can see where my modding seems to go.

The idea is only because of how expensive CrossPly tyres seem to be and I'm led to believe I can't fit radials due to the rim design?

Old 05-10-2014, 08:28 PM

You can fit radials on the stock wheels, but you need to use tires that are very close in size to the OE sizes. There isn't a lot to choose from in the narrower tire sizes, but I have a set of Avon radials on mine (110/80 and 140/80), and a few others here have also made the switch including CorruptFile. The Avon Azaro tires I am using are spec'd to fit the narrow bias ply wheels, but just barely.

Or go ahead and mod the bike and please post pictures here if you do! I would like to see a VFR swingarm on a Hurricane