CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

90 cbrf trying to get started

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 cbrf trying to get started

I just picked this bike up real cheap but its been sitting for a while. I put all new filters in it and tried starting it up today with no luck. The bike fired up when starting fluid was sprayed into on of the intake holes. I checked the fuel pump and disconnected the out line and cranked the motor over but it didnt spray out any fuel, so i tried bypassing the pump but the motor still would not fire up... Also the fuel pump was getting warm to the touch. Any help is much appreciated

Old 07-26-2009, 10:56 PM

Typical, seems like a good carb cleaning for starters, since it has been sitting for a while.
Check the gas tank fuel filter and the main inline fuel filter. Sounds like lack of fuel flow. Is the fuel tank rusty?

Old 07-27-2009, 12:34 AM

You probably have checked already but is there fuel coming out of the tank? (into the fuel pump)

KongBastard

Old 07-27-2009, 08:40 AM

ya fuel is coming out of the petcock on the tank, and the fuel filter is new and its flowing through there fine...im gonna try and clean my carbs, i ripped them off last night and 2 of the bowls had some jelly like substance in them, which im assuming is not good...so tonight i guess my task is to clean those carbs...if anyone has any help in that area for me it would be greatly appreciated

Old 07-27-2009, 10:03 PM

update: took apart carbs and cleaned jets floats bowls and put them back on. Hooked up a fuel line (with no fuel filter) and started bike. Was idling on choke for a while but if i turned the choke off or turned the throttle at all it immediately stalled....i pulled the plugs and they're black so im going to get replacements tomorrow. I don't know if they're causing the stalling or not but im assuming they cant be helping the situation. Also could it be stalling because of the lack of a fuel pump? or should gravity be enough to at least let it rev up a little?

Old 07-27-2009, 10:10 PM

Put in your new plugs, reconnect the fuel pump and try again. The fuel pump will click very fast until the bowls are filled and then it will slow down.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:06 PM

Installed new plugs and now when trying to start bike just backfires, still starts up on starting fluid ...plugs were gapped to the tool that was in the bikes tool kit, Im still waiting on a fuel pump to come in but shouldn't it start up without it, or is that why its just backfiring when im trying to start it ?
EDIT: just pulled all the plugs and the one from the second cylinder from the left was black, i cleaned it off and reinstalled and tried to start bike again but same symptoms occured

Last edited by ike66; 07-29-2009 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-30-2009, 06:29 AM

Blackened plugs can be caused by many different conditions. Carbon deposits build up when the plug fails to fire correctly and burn them off. Air/fuel mixture too rich, choke stuck on, electrical problem, extended periods of low speed driving, plug heat range too cold.

I would start by looking at the choke opperation, then look at the fuel mixture

Allan

Old 07-30-2009, 09:07 AM

The choke seemed to be working fine when i had the carbs out to clean them. How would i go about checking the air fuel mixture to see if it is correct?

Old 07-30-2009, 10:44 PM

Installed a fuel pump today and got it started up, but its having trouble idling now and i took it for a short ride and it was running pretty bad. I pulled the plugs and checked them and two of the brand new plugs are white. They're the 2 on the left side of the motor. Another question i had is how should the **** (im not sure what it adjusts) on the carbs should be adjusted

Quick Reply: 90 cbrf trying to get started