CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

90 cbr streetfighter project

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 05:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 cbr streetfighter project

Ok im getting a 90 cbr hurrican that needs some work.The motor was just rebuilt so it runs perfect.But its is missing i front end.Was wondering what forks are avalible to convert onto it and what not.I also seen that u can do a rear tail conversion from a newer cbr,was wondering what year and how u got the seat to fit an alll.and advice on what to do to make this thing a sweet streetfighter?

Old 03-26-2008, 10:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 90 cbr streetfighter project

any honda frontend will do since they are pretty much 95% interchangeable. it will mostly be a difference of cone bearings vs. ball bearings. most use ball bearings. get correct stem nuts and that's pretty much it. since you are making a streetfighter, there will be no bodywork clearance issues to worry about.

if you are using mx bars instead of clip-ons, then you may run into wire length problems with the electrical controls.

look here for more about swapping front end. http://www.cbrextreme.com/forum/index.php?topic=4223.0
whatever forkset you get, you will have to get the rim, rotors, calipers, axle, etc. in otherwords, get a complete front end.

other things to look out for are radiator clearance lock to lock, key fob location relative to steering tube, steering geometry, etc. if you get shorter forks than stock, which is anything f4+ or later than f3, the steering geometry will change. i highly suggest a steering damper.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:10 AM

Ya im using some high rise mx bars.Im prolly gonna just try to find some 90 forks for it unless i get a sweet deal on something newer.But I gota 00 yzf r1 complete front end that uses ball bearings i didnt know if them would work or not.Its not like i couldnt try.

Old 03-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the possible problem with the r1 is that the top and bottom bearing may be the same size (suzuki is like this, i do not know about kawi or yams). if this is the case, you cannot use the bottom clamp/steering tube combo. honda's use 2 different size bearings, the bottom bearing being larger than the top bearing. you'll know if this is the case as the top of the steering tube on the bottom triple will be necked down or smaller diameter than the rest of the tube.

now this is not to say that the forks and whatnot can't be used. you could just get a honda bottom and top clamp with the correct bearings and stem nuts, etc. just be sure that the fork tube centers in the clamps are the same distance as the yamaha's and that will allow you to use the rim, etc.

Old 03-27-2008, 04:15 PM

I want to see some pics man!!!!!!

I traded a beat 85 jetta gli that I bought for $200 for my Cane

the front end was wrecked just like your situation, I hate all the plastic on the damn things so I got rid of them all, I will do an "Official" thread when I actually get it on the road but hes a little preview/inspiration (dont mind my a$$)

I have done some pretty original little things on it that i will include in the other thread... dont mean to jack your thread but lets some see pics of yours

Old 03-28-2008, 02:13 AM

Well i havent got pics of it yet.But i got the tank all dented in just perfect so it looks real good.And ya im taking off al of my plastic too and just going to cage it and make a 12o clock bar for it.But ill get pics up and the progress i make on it too.