CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

'89 Stopped Running

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '89 Stopped Running

Hey, new to the forum, but I've gotten lots of help so far from other posts.

My problem is that about 4 years ago my bike (stored over winter without de-gas-ifying it) stopped running. It cranks, but never turns over. I can get it to turn over if I pour gas straight into the carbs, but cannot get it to continue to run.

It has a new battery, rebuilt carbs (as far as I know they work, I was told the guy knew what he was doing), but I don't know if the pump works - it won't spit out gas when I turn the key. I can feel the pump working (pulsating), and gas coming through the 'In' line, but no gas coming out.

I was wondering if this was a pump issue, but upon bypassing the pump, it still won't start (gravity fed). Maybe I am doing this wrong, or maybe something else is wrong entirely? I am new to the inner workings of bikes, and am going off of my Clymer manual and online posts as of yet.

Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:00 PM
Default RE: '89 Stopped Running

has it had any fuel sitting in it over the period of time you've had it not running? if so, you need to clean your carburetors out well. its entirely possible that the guy didnt know what he was doing, and something is incorrect. I work on carbs often, and see that frequently.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i second that answer, thats the problem with carb'd bikes, if you leave the fuel sit in the bowls too long the jets can get clogged. That and fuel does go bad after a while. I would recommend checking to see that your carbs are indeed getting fuel first by loosening the drain plug on each bowl. If they are, clean the carbs again + a set of fresh sparky plugs and she should fire right up (with fresh fuel of course)

Old 10-03-2008, 07:40 PM

exactly. also put a FRESH fuel filter in, and be THOROUGH about your carb cleaning, unless you enjoy burning yourself while using a 1/4" drive ratchet and some sockets pulling the carb bowls on the side of the road because it wont run right, or stay running. been there, did that, sucked royally.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:29 PM

ohhh yes, be very thurough, I had my carbs out of my bike 20 times(not exaggerating) last weekend trying to set them up properly! make sure to set your float height as well, runs 100000000% better when you do that.

x2 on the fuel filter, I just changed mine last week to a 2 stage clearview filter, and one stage of the filter is already turning brown with the ****.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:44 PM

The bike has been empty (fuel-wise) for about 3 years now, and whenever I put new in to test run, I drain it out afterwards. They were empty when cleaned, and have been since (except as above).

@tds94probe: loosening the drain hole? and do what? I am at a loss as to carbs, and am not really sure what you mean, sorry.

Really, I'm not even sure if I have my filter on right, I only had about 20 min available today and couldn't consult my manual...as I said, I'm new to all of this and not really sure what I'm doing.

I'll try the filter, could it being clogged be the culprit, or would it still start but run rich? Otherwise I'll probably have to have the carbs sent out to be re-set, I'm not really sure how good the guy was who cleaned them...maybe he screwed up the positioning or something, I don't really know.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:10 PM

on your carburetors, there is a flat head screw on an angle on the bottom of each float bowl. open it about 1/4-1/2 turn, and you SHOULD see fuel pouring out. btw, is your killswitch set to ON? my Hurricane will spin forever without firing if the kill switch is OFF.

Old 10-04-2008, 08:24 AM

check your petcockand fuel filter. just because the pump is working doesnt mean enough fuel is getting through

Old 10-04-2008, 02:26 PM

what hurricane rider said, thats what i meant.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:38 PM

Ok, just got back from work and checked out some stuff...

1. There is an external fuel filter, and when I let the gas flow throught it, I get about 3/4 of the hose worth of gas flow

2. When I unscrewed the screw on the carb, I got a flow of fuel coming from them

3. The killswitch is set to 'Run' (the regular running position)

4. The bike still does not run

Is this a problem with the carbs then, or am I gravity-feeding wrong, or not able to gf? Or something else entirely?

If nothing else, is anyone from the Akron, Ohio area who can help me with carbs or point me to a reputable (inexpensive, non-ripoff) dealer or mechanic?

Thanks for the help so far, and in the future

Quick Reply: '89 Stopped Running