CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

88 Bogs in 5th and 6th

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 88 Bogs in 5th and 6th

Hey there. Am currently riding an 88 Hurricane.

The problem im getting is when riding is that when i reach 5th and 6th gears the bike bogs down like its not getting enough fuel.

I was able to clock 90-100mph behind my friend in 4th and as soon as i hit 5th it bogs down and splutters and when i let go of the throttle it dies and takes a while to start (am assuming carbs are being refilled)

Now heres what ive done. Basically a while ago my fuel pump burnt out, i mean the thing was boiling hot and i rode without the pump with no problems for about 200 miles. No coughing or boggings.

I have since then stripped the whole bike and rebult it (cosmetic things like frame being painted as what not) the only thing that has changed is that I have adjusted the valves as they were a bit loose and noisy and from the bike was rebuilt i had this problem.

I tried taking the cheap option and got an RF900 fuel pump from my friend as money is tight at the moment and the bogging is still there. Im thinking that i may just need to bite the bullet and purchase an OEM fuel pump for the bike, would this be right?

Old 06-02-2010, 10:14 PM

i think you need a pump. or possibly check you intank/inline filters.
some people have used a universal pump. look for a low pressure, 3.5 psi, or 650cc a minute.

Old 06-04-2010, 03:13 PM

filters are fine. I cleaned the carbs ect and its definately that its not getting enough fuel. Fuel pump may not be pumping enough but l was told it should work without a pump (gravity fed).

It worked for a few weeks without a pump and now it doesn't.

Old 06-06-2010, 12:41 PM

it might depend on how much gas is in the tank then. the outlet of the tank is about higher than the inlet of the carbs.

many bikes dont have a fuel pump, but ours were designed with one...

Old 06-07-2010, 08:41 AM

That's right but even then. Tank is full and same issue. I think it may be something to do with the vacume chambers. Seems that its not pulling enough petrol through.

I'm debating whether or not just to rebuild and re-synch the carbs. Was just trying to avoid that because as I said, other than the strip down and rebuild nothing has been changed and it ran fine before.

Old 06-09-2010, 02:16 PM

Are you running with the plastic on or off?
The reason I ask is that the airbox is sensitive to airflow changes, too much ram-air effect causes turbulance and loss of power. I made this mistake. With the plastic on the intake is in a high pressure zone and runs clean. Plastic off you need to partially cover the holes in the frame.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by thrasher572
The reason I ask is that the airbox is sensitive to airflow changes, too much ram-air effect causes turbulance and loss of power. I made this mistake. With the plastic on the intake is in a high pressure zone and runs clean. Plastic off you need to partially cover the holes in the frame.
wow never thought of that, this might be a key issue in fixing my problems.

Old 06-11-2010, 03:41 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by thrasher572
Your a live saver thrasher! Ive been working at this for a month and you got it in one try!

Rode with ducktape 3/4 of the way over the intake holes and she ran like a dream again! I cant believe thats what it was but it makes sense lol.

Knew you were right when you mentioned the fairings lol. Thanks again now i can get some major riding done

Old 06-11-2010, 11:30 AM

No problem! I've had mine since new in '87 so I've tried a few different things. Glad the info helped.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:47 PM

Big help indeed. now i can get to the rallies and what not. Has really been wrecking my head these last few weeks!

Quick Reply: 88 Bogs in 5th and 6th