CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

87 Hurricane build

Old 12-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 87 Hurricane build

Hi all I stopped by to share my build with you.
My name is Ben and the progress of my cane.
I bought it 3 years ago with no plastics and started building it almost at once.
This is the day I brought it home

I started buying parts and modifying until I came up with this

I rode it like that for a season and the last ride of the season a bolt for the rocker arm retainer came loose and went for a ride with the cam chain.
So I pulled the engine and tore it down for an overhaul. I figured while the engine was out I would make a few changes. During that time my daughter was born and my bike went on the back burner until recently. I stripped and painted the frame.

Then I put the overhauled engine back in and all the goodies I had collected and spent considerable time modifying to fit.

I still have some bodywork to do before I can paint but its all primed

Thats where it is right now having a 18 month old cuts into my do work time but its getting close. I'll update as I get more done

Old 12-24-2012, 11:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to CBRF Ben.

We like rebuild/mod threads. Thanks for sharing.

Keep us updated.

Old 12-25-2012, 03:50 PM

Hi Ben you're doing really well! I'm in a similar position as I've a 3 1/2 yr old girl and an 18mnth old boy and know about how it limits workshop time a fair bit. The kids definitely are priority so I try to use the 'little but often' rule for working on my cane. I might spend just an hour 3 or 4 evenings a week during their bedtime but it means that each session is focussed and I make small but definite progress so I enjoy doing it and keep motivated. I love the new swing arm and subframe - what are they off? What are you hoping to do next? Do a vid and show us round the old girl man!

Anyway stick at it, bikes make dads happy and kids need happy dads is what I reckon so messing with bikes is important

Old 12-25-2012, 04:29 PM

What kind of front fender is that? i'm not a fan of the stock one

Old 12-25-2012, 07:15 PM

Yeah I usually do an hour or so after she goes to bed and go full tilt when shes visiting her mom. I'll try to get a vid of it but right now its not running I'm still running the wiring.
The swinger, shock and rear wheel are off of a 05 600rr
The subframe and tail are from a 01 GSXR 750
The front fender is the stock one that I spiced up a bit with a coping saw.
I had to narrow the swingarm pivot and I had someone make custom spacer tubes. I also had to make the dogbone mount and weld it on as well as the subframe mounts.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:19 PM

I'm very busy right now I'm putting 2 of my own bikes back together and getting my friends f2 ready for paint. My other bike is a 89 kwak zx10 that is a decomissioned drag bike. You can see the front wheel poking in a few of the pics. I'll post a pic of where I have it in the build process if its allowed since its not a cbr

Old 01-11-2013, 09:32 PM

Well after being sick for a while I finally found time to work on the honda. I have all my body pieces ready for paint after several coats of priming and sanding. I lengthened some of the wiring since the battery box sits farther back now and made new battery cables( for a grand total of $13 I might add). I started it up to make sure the rebuild on the engine is good and found a new setback. It seems my carbs sitting for almost 3 years caused some issues cause they are leaking at the fuel tee. So now I have to tear them out and replace the o-rings hopefully the plastic tee isnt cracked. I still have some wiring to run for the lights. once I get it painted and everything squared away I get some finished pics up

Old 01-16-2013, 11:25 AM

Well I found some time to work on the old cane yesterday.
I made a rear tank mount for it

I think I'm going to redo it though so that the bolt goes in from the top cause after looking at it I dont like how it looks like that.
I also started working on ways to mount my acewells speed sensor cause it used to be held to the forks with 3m tape

not sure if this is going to be the final product for that or not.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:43 PM
Registered Users

hi mate have you any info of how you did the swingarm swap pics of cuts and measurements etc

Old 01-16-2013, 06:10 PM

No I didnt take pics when I was doing that part. What I did was Measure my stock swinger at the pivot then marked the rr swinger on the side opposite of where the chain runs and cut it. I had someone make new bushings to fit the hurricane pivot bolt cause I didnt want to drill my frame that big. For the dogbone mounts I cut the center stand bracket out and made 2 mounts out of steel plate and welded them where the centerstand bracket was.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 87 Hurricane build