CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Eliminating fuel pump question

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 09:34 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Eliminating fuel pump question

Still struggling with this 89. Got the carbs rebuilt by Wired George and he seems to have done a very nice job, but the bike won't start at all now (keep in mind that it started and ran sort of before the carb rebuild because it had been sitting so long. Well now it's been sitting longer.) I pulled the fuel pump and did a bench test and it seems to be working but back on the bike and nothing is coming out of it when I crank so it might be the FP relay I suppose. I have a parts bike but of course I don't know if it has good parts so I will be playing with that a bit.

Actual point coming here, however. I read in another thread about CBR1000F owners just eliminating the FP and going gravity feed. Anyone know if this will work on the 600F? I'm tempted and if the bike runs at least I'll know that the problem was fuel delivery.

Old 07-09-2017, 02:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can bypass the fuel pump. The problem with running like this is you lose fuel pressure when the tank gets low and you can also run out of fuel at high rpms. For troubleshooting to get it running it should work. I usually run a small plastic water bottle when starting them after carb rebuild because you can squeeze the bottle to fill the carbs. It sometimes takes a while before the carbs fill up otherwise.

Old 10-28-2017, 06:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why would it seem ok to remove the pump. Take off the cover and file the contact. Mine were so corroded and messed up I cant believe it turned on. You can also buy them new on ebay oem. I have tested mine and it seems to work but my bike wont start either without heavy choke and then when it dies at low rpm it acts like the fuel pump isnt giving it any fuel.

Old 10-29-2017, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by chasenvolvos
Why would it seem ok to remove the pump. Take off the cover and file the contact. Mine were so corroded and messed up I cant believe it turned on. You can also buy them new on ebay oem. I have tested mine and it seems to work but my bike wont start either without heavy choke and then when it dies at low rpm it acts like the fuel pump isnt giving it any fuel.
Sometimes the pumps are full of crap from years of sitting. When you run them they just dump more crap right into your freshly cleaned carbs. Ask me how I know. The bikes will generally run at lower speeds with gravity feed as the tank is above the carbs. Not a long term solution but...

I just pulled the carb bank off the 88 I bought which was doing the same thing as yours. Slow jets completely clogged, which is apparently a regular thing on these bikes. I have them in the ultrasonic cleaner and am going to put it back together and see what happens later this week.

Old 10-29-2017, 12:32 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by heresolong
I read in another thread about CBR1000F owners just eliminating the FP and going gravity feed. Anyone know if this will work on the 600F? I'm tempted and if the bike runs at least I'll know that the problem was fuel delivery.
Just to clarify, only the '87 & '88 CBR1000F's have fuel pumps, '89 on were designed as gravity feed from the factory.

Old 11-08-2017, 03:22 PM

I pulled the fuel pump and did a bench test and it seems to be working but back on the bike and nothing is coming out of it when I crank so it might be the FP relay I suppose.

Put your hand on the pump when cranking and you'll feel it click, if its working.
also it's easy to put the FP upside down so make sure your not trying to pump fuel the wrong way

Actual point coming here, however. I read in another thread about CBR1000F owners just eliminating the FP and going gravity feed. Anyone know if this will work on the 600F? I'm tempted and if the bike runs at least I'll know that the problem was fuel delivery.

The F1 can be ridden on a gravity feed setup, but it's very janky. for testing purposes it should work just fine as long as you have over half a tank of fuel.

I went a few months with no FP and i was constantly getting airbubbles in my line or something and stalling out semi-frequently. there are plenty of options for a replacement FP though

Old 08-20-2018, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkwind2016
Just to clarify, only the '87 & '88 CBR1000F's have fuel pumps, '89 on were designed as gravity feed from the factory.
Sorry to revive an old thread, but does anyone have a picture of where the fuel pump gets its power, on the 1990 CBR 600F? Since you mentioned this will a 1990 not have the neccessary fuel pump equipment?

I ordered a cheap very low pressure fuel pump from ebay that's meant for the bike, just curious as to how/where it hooks up. I don't see anything in my shop manual mentioning the pump.

Thanks!

Edit: right as I typed this realized was looking in the wrong section of the manual, however any fuel pump tricks/pics would be handy. Will a regular cheap fuel filter work?

Last edited by lite_daddy; 08-20-2018 at 08:24 AM.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:20 AM

That old thread applies to CBR1000 You seem to have a CBR600 so you will absolutely have a fuel pump. Under the tank, towards the back, on the right hand side of the motorcycle, there is a plug that looks just like the other end of the plug that came on your fuel pump. I don't have a picture right now but can get back and add one a bit later if you don't see it. The wire from the fuel pump will just run right across the bike and plug in.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:54 AM

That old thread applies to CBR1000 You seem to have a CBR600 so you will absolutely have a fuel pump. Under the tank, towards the back, on the right hand side of the motorcycle, there is a plug that looks just like the other end of the plug that came on your fuel pump. I don't have a picture right now but can get back and add one a bit later if you don't see it. The wire from the fuel pump will just run right across the bike and plug in.

The only problem is when I bought the bike it came without a fuel pump, hence why am asking for some pics to see the stock configuration. Would be much appreciated!! There doesn't seem to be alot of parts/info about these old hurricanes so some of it has been guess work lol

Old 01-18-2019, 02:03 AM

Sounds like your slow jets or idle jets are clogged. Very common with this bike. You have to take the carbs off, bowls off, and poke them clean, either with a carb cleaner tool or copper filaments from a multi-sgranded wire that you can sacrifice.