CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1100XX "Super Blackbird" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1100xx-super-blackbird-22/)
-   -   Sprokets (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1100xx-super-blackbird-22/sprokets-1102/)

Sandman 03-18-2005 04:05 PM

Sprokets

Hello out there.
I have an 02 XX and I'm thinking about changing either the front or rear sprockets.
I'd like to get a bit more usable torque in 2nd gear -- actually I'm sick of my buddies Gixxer 1000 kicking my but through 2nd gear!!
Anyone out there checked out sprockets for your XX ?

Or any other mods?

sirlimpzalot 03-21-2005 05:30 PM

RE: Sprokets

Just drop 1 tooth in the front and it will be substantial ( it will affect your speedo since the speedo is driven off the trannsmission) and if you are gonna repalce the front, replace the rear and the chain too. All the parts are "mated" and if you introduce the new sporcket to stuff that has wear characteristics it will acclelerate the wear on all the components and will not last as long....

Sandman 03-21-2005 05:45 PM

Thanks for the info.
I was trying to fiure out if dropping a tooth in front (or going up in back) would require me to get a DIFFERENT SIZE chain?
What I get from your reply is that I can keep the same size chain, but you recommend I replace it anyway just to make sure everything mates up OK ??
I had planned on replacing the rear spocket anyway, but I was hoping to save some cash and use the current chain . . . . hmmm

sirlimpzalot 03-22-2005 01:03 AM

The chain can be the same size, the length will vary depending on how much you alter the gearing...if you go smaller on the front sprocket you will gain some chain " length" and lose some by going UP in the back...just make sure you get matching " pitch" of sprockets and chain..meaning get 530 sprockets for a 530 chain etc....

skot 10-31-2005 04:57 AM

test

R1000 09-07-2006 05:43 PM

ORIGINAL: Sandman

Hello out there.
I have an 02 XX and I'm thinking about changing either the front or rear sprockets.
I'd like to get a bit more usable torque in 2nd gear -- actually I'm sick of my buddies Gixxer 1000 kicking my but through 2nd gear!!
Anyone out there checked out sprockets for your XX ?

Or any other mods?

Perhaps you don’t need an answer now since the thread is a few days old [&:]. However, going down from 17 to 16-tooth front will change the bike far more than one would believe. It's only about 6% in total gear change, but it wakens up this beast quite a lot. From just being able to wheelie at full power in first gear, it will lift the front also on transition to 3rd gear and the pull up in rpm is absolutely tremendous by any measures :). The feeling that 6th gear is a gear too much, like an over-gear, disappears and the bike is far snappier on all gears since the torque on the rear wheel goes up with 6 % on all gears. It accelerates hard in stock condition, but the 1 tooth down front strengthens the somewhat modest mid range so much that the total performance increase is better than it should normally be.