CBR 1100XX "Super Blackbird" 1998 - 2003 CBR 1000XX

Help on a 1997 Blackbird.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 09:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on a 1997 Blackbird.

Hey here is my problem. My 97 has problems with the choke. I can get her started with the choke applied but cant get her to run or even idle with choke off. I took off the air filter and cleaned the filter with k&n Filter cleaner. I tried to get to the plugs and cant get to them due to the bar across the frame. Any suggestions, please advise. I dont want to go to the honda people because they will try to catch me out there. I am also a honda riders club member, and still dont want to get ripped by the dealer.[:@]

Old 04-10-2006, 10:11 AM
Default RE: Help on a 1997 Blackbird.

I think your carburators are almost empty, that fuel isn't coming into them. After, of course, refueling, check all then way: all hoses, filter, the valve/key (can't remember its name in english) that is under the tank, must be open; you may flush carburators by removing the screws under them, to check if there's fuel in them, or even to see if rust comes out. These birds ain't got fuel pump, so you can check two little hoses that links carburators with the engine block (remove them temporaly and blow through them with your mouth to detect obstructions); a classic problem apears when you disasseble the tank and put it again: hoses bend enough to block fuel passing, this last thing is very common.
After all that, you have to check carburators inside. As I have seen, a service manual has ALL the info you need to know to do it so try to get one and follow all steps (you'll get amazed how maintenance routines turns so easy). By the way, there's the explanation on how to remove spark plugs, then same info that is in owner's manual: on the radiator there's a bolt (only one) you need remove it to get down the radiator (you don't need to loose hoses nor even flush coolant).
That's all a can do for you via web. Write soon and tell us what you've found

hug

Old 04-16-2006, 11:06 PM
Default RE: Help on a 1997 Blackbird.

Sounds like a fuel delivery problem. First thing I'd do is check your vacuum hoses:

Name:  5832508c.jpg
Views: 217
Size:  65.9 KB

Changing the spark plugs isn't that hard, actually, if you follow the directions on Warchild's page:
http://www.superblackbird.com/spark1.cfm

I'd also try posting this question in the garage section at http://www.cbr1100xx.org/ and most likely someone there will help you. If you're local to one of the members, most likely one of them will come over and help.