CBR 1100XX "Super Blackbird" 1998 - 2003 CBR 1000XX

Which bike to buy Blackbird,Busa, or ZZR1200

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 12:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Which bike to buy Blackbird,Busa, or ZZR1200

I also belong to that board - quite a lively group- with a little bit of everything for everyone. Some of the discussions in the "Pub" get rather spirited and we do have some people with rather strong opinions, but none of it is required reading LOL. They're a good group!
Terry

Old 09-19-2006, 07:39 PM

yea they are a lively group. i havnt passed by there in a while. dblxx is a joker though, i laught everytime that guy opens his mouth. but yea there is one guy on that forum with a blackbird quad or somthing.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:19 PM

Yousay the Busa is too sport for you? why?

I owned a Hayabusa for five years and put 24,000 miles on it,I also owned a XX in 01 till I crashed it, I actually replaced the XX withmy busa, well then I bought another XX a couple of years agosince I missed it so much, I probably have about 20,000 miles on XX's and my son also bought a beautiful Canadian XX, bottom line is to me , now of course this is in my opinion, and my son also agrees, the Hayabusa is more comfortable than the XX, and as far as sporty, the XX is every bit as sporty as a Hayabusa, maybe not in top speed, but it's still wicked fast, some observations for you
Busa seat is great, XX seat sucks!
More leg room on the XX, probably 1.5" or so.
Busa is more compact, about a three inch less reach to the bars, but the bars are lower, seat is also about 1/2"lower on the Busa.
Busa is absolutly cool to ride, puts off almost no heat to your legs or crotch, the XX is like riding a Habachi in the summer in traffic, the gas tank and frame rails get almost to hot to touch. typical Honda, our F4I and ST1300 do the same thing.
Power, well I dont even have to say it, I love the TQ of the Busa.
XX is butter smooth, all Busa's vibrate some above 4700RPM
My Hayabusa could get up to 50MPG, out of our three XX's the best we can do is about 38-40MPG on a good day.
Fuel injection on the XX is flawless, the Hayabusa needs a TRE to smooth it out around town, throttle is off and on, cost me $20 to fix it.
Busa's are pretty much bullet proof,except for a few 2002 models that grenaded starter clutches and eng cases, some XX's suffer from cam chain problems. both can get real expensive if it breaks. but the Busa problem has been fixed.

The bottom line is they are both great bikes, dont be scared off by the too sporty thing, my Hayabusa made a great sport tourer , to me and my son it was just more comfortable than the XX since the reach to the bars is shorter, I'm 6' and my son is 6'3" and even he found the Busa to be morecomfy on long rides, but I do hear allot of taller riders prefer the XX since it is a more stretched out bike.
on our Busa we put Heli bars, Buell foot pegs, it will give you about another 1.5" of leg room for under $40 and a set of soft luggage, a ZG sport touring shield in the winter and a Puig DB shield the rest of the year and you have a fantastic sport tourer, on our XX we also put the Buell pegs, Puig DB shields and VFR bars, wich give abouta 2" rise and thesame soft luggage and off ya go.

It's all about ones own opinion and wich bike they are most comfortable on, all three bikes are great bikes, but I would never buy another Carbed bike if I have a choice so I would not buy the Kawi, but I know several guys who have sold their Busa's and bought the new ZX14R and they love it, it has better brakes, is smoother , faster,( but who needs that) than the Busa, dont let the top end power fool you, the Busa and ZX14 are both very nice bikes to ride, their only as fast as you twist that throttle any ways.

I did sale my Hayabusa to buy our new ST1300 and I miss it teribly, the reason I sold it instead of the XX? simply because XX's are hard to find, busa's are a dime a dozen, or as my friend put it, you cant swing a dead cat without hitting a Hayabusa . when he said that, I made my mind up to sale the Busa andkeep the XX,so you can find some great deals on low mileage Hayabusa's

Oh and as far as "rippin" say's Busa frag starters and engine cases? this was only a problem on 2002 Busa's with a very few others, maybe 01's but almost all were 2002's I know because I owned a 2002, and I was worried about this on mine, the problem was the starter clutch would grenade and since there was not enough room in the housing for the now grenaded gears, on some bikes the eng case would crack,
Schnitz racing

Old 06-13-2007, 06:48 AM

jmenon, Hi if you liked your old cbr you will love a new fuel injected blackbird I was lucky enough to have gone from a 92 1000 F to a 07 Blackbird I am 6 feet 3 and my wife is 5 feet 11 and it suits us just as well as the old 92 but a heap smoother and plenty of power, for us it was a great decision. I still have my 92 and every now and then take it for a spin and I can only describe the 92 as being made of real steel and the bird to be made of plastic steel. The bird gets from point A to a corner VERY fast and then you have a split second to plan the corner when the old 92 got from A to a corner reasonably quick but she went around the corner as if she was on rails. BUT once you get used to the bird you start to push her faster into a corner as you know she just loves twist and wind. After the other weekend we did 530 odd Kls we could have turned around and done another 500 THAT DAY its just a real nice bike to ride.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:40 PM

I don't know where your at , but here's a clean one.

Oh and your preferring under 10K and 5K preferred, just thought I'd also let ya know, 10K or even 20K on an XX or a Busa is nothing, valves at 15-16k but they'll go and go with normal maintainance. I do agree I would take the lowest mileage bike I could find too, but if you find a great deal on a super clean bike, like this one , dont let the mileage scareyou off, there's also a 05 blue/silver Busa in my local paper with 960 miles on it, asking 8K I think?(Fresno, Cali)

http://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23469

Old 06-14-2007, 12:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel like we are having a reunion in here.

Hello everyone.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:20 PM

I love the Busa it's the nicest bike of the three IMO. Very comfortable and unbeatable in a straight line in the right hands.

Old 11-10-2007, 11:15 PM

The ZZR has a few problems. It is about 600 lbs, it has a long reach to the bars, it vibrates (Almost but not quite as bad as a Concours), and its carburated. The bike will probably can get 40-50 mpg though. Most of the owners modify the clip ons to be more comfy and they add heavier bar end weights to help with the buzz.
BUT the insurance cost will be much less than either of the other two.