CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1100XX "Super Blackbird" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1100xx-super-blackbird-22/)
-   -   Which bike to buy Blackbird,Busa, or ZZR1200 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1100xx-super-blackbird-22/bike-buy-blackbird-busa-zzr1200-22870/)

jmenon 09-12-2006 12:40 AM

Which bike to buy Blackbird,Busa, or ZZR1200

So I have an 87' 1000F that has been a great bike for the last 1.5 years after being off a bike for 7 years. Runs well for its age and as many know in the real world it can keep up with all but 10% of the top new liter+ bikes on the straights.

I am looking to buy either a Blackbird 2000 or newer, Kawasaki ZZR1200, or Busa.

All of these need to be super clean under 10K miles top.. perfer under 5k... I want show room clean. So My budget is under $7k.

Right now I am torn between the blackbird or the ZZR.. Busa is too sport for me.. I like longer rides and like to take my girl with me sometimes.

The stock ZZR is faster and most test show better overall than the XX. The main reason I am down on the ZZR is the carbs. I want FI.

I know that Honda is more refined and better quality..
I would love to hear thoughts.. Kind of hard to find 3 people with these bikes that would let me test drive so got to do my homework.

JM

mitch_1100xx 09-12-2006 01:07 AM

RE: Which bike to buy Blackbird,Busa, or ZZR1200

i have a ninja 12r as well (well its my bros) but i ride it regularly. a few things you need to think about, the zx12 is thourough hypersport, more hp and torque then the busa, better quarter mile, better accl, just lacks a bit aerodynamically in top end, none the less it a real scare the............ pants............. off you kinda bike, and far from refined. the bike is very open in alot of places and is kinda raw, though the fun factor makes up for it. it is also cosmetically very nice, it also has 2 remarkable power surges, one a 5k and another at 8 that feel unbelievable.

the bird is a very rideable bike, oldest of the hypersport and what started the trend. very comfortable, insurable, doesnt feel like it will throw you in the dirt. also still incredably fast and has honda refinement and precision. its heavier, but has a bigger tank so you can go for alot longer. even though it is a little dated still a great bike, ppl that own them keep them till they ride em into the ground. also the xx is know for its rock solid frame which makes the ride a dream, and very predictable. a local guy in toronto Can. where i live has like 140,000 km without an engine rebuild or major work done. thats like 105000 miles or somthing. both exceptional bikes. it really comes down to what you want to do with it. go like a mother or go distances almost as fast.

as for the busa cant help you there what i can tell you is it is ugly but has really supurb top end. but then if you dont intend to go 180 whatever miles why buy it right???

jmenon 09-12-2006 01:33 AM

The ZZR1200 is a different bike from the ZX12r. The zzr is based an evolution of the zx-11.. very much a sport touring bike but racks up a 20HP advantage on the stock XX.

Most magazine tests that put the XX against the ZZR give the nod to the ZZR.. but I agree with you that I like what people say about the smoothness of the XX and the Fuel Injection. I cannot deal with carbs anymore.. I cannot believe they are still on bikes.

rippn 09-12-2006 12:05 PM

I'm going thru the same "narrowing down"
'Busa's, frag starters and engine cases, from low batterys, pre 04, less leg room too, still spendy, even for used... passed on a 04,w/ 3k, this weekend.
All big Kaws, fit and finish arn't up to Honda standards, and tranys are week link... droping circlips, OUCH $$$$!!!!!!! But i've never had a molly(puke) green bike, I love that color !!!!!!!
'Birds, if you don't have to go w/ ego... 1# Fit and finish, rideability, reliability, comfort, exclusivity, usualy owned by people, that maintain them well, fit large people well."iron butt" people, swear by 'em. I've been comare'n for awhile now... the bird, is a really good choice. Maybe i could paint one...PUKE GREEN... sorry!!!!!! Clean and free, Ripp'n

mitch_1100xx 09-12-2006 01:21 PM

yea srry for some reason i was thinking about the 12r, i dunno it seems like almost every comparison article on the net has to do with busa vs xx vs 12r so i wasnt thinking of that and not paying attention. either way, the 12r still is a sweet bike with our without the puke green.

R1000 09-12-2006 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: jmenon

So I have an 87' 1000F that has been a great bike for the last 1.5 years after being off a bike for 7 years. Runs well for its age and as many know in the real world it can keep up with all but 10% of the top new liter+ bikes on the straights.

I am looking to buy either a Blackbird 2000 or newer, Kawasaki ZZR1200, or Busa.

All of these need to be super clean under 10K miles top.. perfer under 5k... I want show room clean. So My budget is under $7k.

Right now I am torn between the blackbird or the ZZR.. Busa is too sport for me.. I like longer rides and like to take my girl with me sometimes.

The stock ZZR is faster and most test show better overall than the XX. The main reason I am down on the ZZR is the carbs. I want FI.

I know that Honda is more refined and better quality..
I would love to hear thoughts.. Kind of hard to find 3 people with these bikes that would let me test drive so got to do my homework.

JM
I've had a Bird -97 for a month or two, switched from a Hurricane -92. I've reported my positive Bird experiences in other threads, and have no experience from the ZZR, which I believe is also a great bike. I've had some concerns about the rear shock on my Bird, which felt OK except when the bike is driven hard in curves that are a little bumpy. I compared the rebound setting to my Suzuki GSX R1000 -03 and found there was just about no rebound attenuation at all on the Bird. It was simple to adjust and after doing that the bike feels very good also in severe corners, it did a great difference. I hope to get a head-to-head race with a friend having a GSX R1000 -05 soon. I walked away from him even with the Hurricane in twisties (and straights between them), but his bike is now driven harder and he trains more frequently, so I really don’t know what the outcome would be. I'll report in this thread when the test has been done, perhaps already coming weekend.

jmenon 09-12-2006 09:21 PM

Also a minor issue really is what year model to buy. I know imporvments were made of course with the FI.. carb models are ont an option for me. I am not a big fan of the digital speedo... how hard is that to get used to.. ? If the ZZR had FI I think I would be lean more that way. but I think the quality of the XX wins me over. Now I just have to find one.

NCBirdman 09-12-2006 10:05 PM

I think there are plenty of fine bikes, but with the 3 choices you have listed I would also lean toward a Blackbird as well. Refined, comfortable, etc.

Here is a link to board specializing in B.Birds. This is a '99 (FI) with extras.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/inde...howtopic=37927

mitch_1100xx 09-13-2006 02:33 PM

hey nc birdman ..... are you on that forum as well??

NCBirdman 09-17-2006 02:03 PM

I am. There is a tremendous amount of knowledge there and most of the folks are eager to help if you have any questions. However, I have learned to overlook some of the other things that are posted that do not fit with my personal beliefs.