Wife called my CBR1000RR bluff

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wife called my CBR1000RR bluff

All,
Well it has been a while since posting but riding, working and remodeling the house has kept me busy. After weeks of working to meet my wife's desires of a complete alteration to her kitchen and dining room, putting in 10 hour days over the Thanksgiving holiday and working until late in the evenings; she offered a surprise.
She asked was I still looking at a new 2008 CBR1000RR and I said yes. She offered to "make a deal" and I had to bite. "Remodel the living room, master bath and basement and you can get one!" After ****ting my pants I asked was she serious and then she told me that if I made the deal, she would not mind.
Great Scott...I love this women. The problem is that she called my bluff. I need to know what you guys think of the '08 CBR1000RR. I have read the other threads but just thought I would ask. Any issues, other owner's comments, etc. Locally, they are $7,499.00 and I plan to buy Jan. 2nd or 3rd. Thanks, Leanit

Old 12-08-2009, 10:07 PM

Have you seen it, how many miles, first owner, ever crashed and most importantly???? What color is it??

Old 12-08-2009, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ricohelms
Have you seen it, how many miles, first owner, ever crashed and most importantly???? What color is it??
Welcome to the World Rico! He is talking about a left over 08 from the dealership... so no miles, never crashed.....

I love my 08, I havent had any problems out of it.. I would suggest looking at the TaylorMade Exhaust though... I fell in love with it before I got my bike and made them cut me a deal on it when I bought my bike...

Old 12-09-2009, 04:29 AM
Default TaylorMade exhausts are sweet

Originally Posted by rellimdekim
Welcome to the World Rico! He is talking about a left over 08 from the dealership... so no miles, never crashed.....

I love my 08, I havent had any problems out of it.. I would suggest looking at the TaylorMade Exhaust though... I fell in love with it before I got my bike and made them cut me a deal on it when I bought my bike...
I agree on the TaylorMade exhaust. I also saw a MotoGP exhaust that looked sharp but may have been a little loud. How about tire wear? What kinda miles are you getting from a set of tires? Thanks, Leanit

Old 12-09-2009, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Ricohelms

I believe that the OP is talking about a new 2008 bike..

Old 12-09-2009, 09:53 AM

The only issue i've ever heard about them is some of them drink quite a bit of oil...but only some of them, this has been an issue on another forum. I have just copied this from a UK Fireblade forum....

Not all 08's burn oil, in fact its only a small percentage of the bikes produced but I was lucky to be one of the owners with the problem I have recently changed to castrol and now with 3500+ miles on it the oil consumption is not "as bad" but its still there, I was pissed off to say the least as I have never owned a bike that has burnt oil at such a rapid rate but now moving on I keep on top of the levels and just ride the bike how I want, I recently put it back on the dyno to see if there was any adverse affects with the engine, performance and air/fuel mixture and all is well.

Hope that helps

Old 12-09-2009, 11:50 AM

That is a hell of a deal for a new 08 RR. $7,499 was the list price for my 93 1000F in 1993. Unbelievable. Talk about value.

I've read about that oil thing too. It seems to be extremely limited. I'd just stay away from red line for a while (like a year ) to be nice to your engine (and to stay alive - you probably won't need that extra 40 horsepower on a bike that weighs 200 pounds less- for a while anyway ).

Last edited by JHouse; 12-09-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:18 PM

When I changed the original break-in oil at around 600 miles, the oil level was almost right at the top line of the dipstick. But I did not ride this bike hard at all and kept it below 6,000 RPM during this period.

At that time I changed the oil/filter and put in Rotella T Synthetic and put another 280 mi. on it. It then went into winter storage and the oil level was right at the top line of the stick.
I'll have to report back in the Spring after putting more miles on it then......
So far no oil consumption issues.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:36 PM
Default Awsome

You are certainly a lucky guy. My wife surprised me last year by showing up with the key to an 08 CBR 1K for xmas. I nearly had a brain hemmorage trying to figure out what was going on because I sure as hell didn't expect it. Nearly 5k miles later and I still haven't tapped the potential but I'm smiling every time I get on it, or look at it, or even clean it.

I've used exactly 2 ounces of oil so far so I ain't complaining.

Old 12-09-2009, 08:18 PM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

she got a sister?

Quick Reply: Wife called my CBR1000RR bluff