when to start putting synthetic oil?

Old 05-08-2008, 04:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default when to start putting synthetic oil?

i have about 2.9k on my 08 cbr, and i was wondering what's the recommeded mileage to start putting the full synthetic stuff in there.
thanks

Old 05-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Default RE: when to start putting synthetic oil?

I put in mine right on the first 600 mi oil change.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:38 PM

I'll put it in on the first 600 mi oil change too. High performance cars use synthetic oil from the factory. Why not with CBR?

Old 05-09-2008, 05:10 AM

I was in the local dealership the other day and I heardthe parts/service monkey behind the counter tell several different people specifically NOT to use synthethic oil in their motorcycles and ATV's because of something to dowith the clutches. Truth, Rumor, Total Bull****???

Old 05-09-2008, 08:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: teamfx3

I was in the local dealership the other day and I heardthe parts/service monkey behind the counter tell several different people specifically NOT to use synthethic oil in their motorcycles and ATV's because of something to dowith the clutches. Truth, Rumor, Total Bull****???
Give that monkey a bananna because he is right ! I heard through various reliable sources NOT to use syn. oil on these machines. Was informed to use regular 4 stroke brand motorcycle oil. It will performance well and be easy on the engine. These machines are not those old clunks from the past.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:17 AM

that is really good information to know.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:01 PM

Yes, you can use synthetic oil for motorcycle.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...ycle_Oils.aspx

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/...AQs.aspx#FAQs4

http://www.repsol-oil.com/

http://www.motul.com.au/product_line...4stroke08.html

BTW, synthetic oil for cars are not good for motorcycle causing clutch to slip a lot. so use synthetic oil for motorcycle.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:56 PM

okay thanks, i was just asking cuz i was told that u have to give the rings and bearings time to seat properly.

Old 05-09-2008, 02:35 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

its just an old rumor that it makes the clutch slip if you use synthetic oil, the truth is if it really did every time no one would use synthetic oil including the Race bikes that every bike is runing synthetic.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Will1000RR

ORIGINAL: teamfx3

Give that monkey a bananna because he is right ! I heard through various reliable sources NOT to use syn. oil on these machines. Was informed to use regular 4 stroke brand motorcycle oil. It will performance well and be easy on the engine. These machines are not those old clunks from the past.
Ok this straight out from Honda MOM: It's ok for u to put any kind of motor oil to the bike but absolutely DO NOT use any oil w/ the "Energy Conversing" Label. That will eat up our wet clutch. Full syn oil damage ur clucth is incorrect. Even Honda local stealership sell full syn oil that branded Honda too.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: when to start putting synthetic oil?