CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/)
-   -   .. what is the freeplay..? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/what-freeplay-38654/)

simo1000rr 05-09-2007 07:25 PM

.. what is the freeplay..?

hey guys .. i was going over my bike manual and i came across that part when they talk about the free play adjust .. .. i just wanted to know what the freeplay . and what does it do to the bike if i adjust it ... i know its kinda stupid question but its been itchin me ...

Mafu 05-09-2007 10:55 PM

RE: .. what is the freeplay..?

I havent looked over the manual but im assuming it is talking about the freeplay adjustments on your clutch and front brake levers. there is a knob that you can adjust to set the amount of freeplay you want when pulling the lever to activate the clutch or brake. to adjust it all you do is push the lever out/forward and turn the knob, itscool to play with and find a comfortable setting

Onarom 05-10-2007 12:49 AM

I was going to throw in a lame joke about foreplay, but without any $$ involved, but that is just too lame. I can't do it.

Kendrick07 05-10-2007 04:15 AM

correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't that referring to the chain freeplay? It is the amount of vertical travel the chain has. I believe it is 1" to 1-1/4" if I remember correctly. There should be a sticker on your swingarm.

simo1000rr 05-10-2007 08:43 AM

oh im sorry guys i should ive been more specific.. no i didnt mean the chain freeplay .. i know that one .. and i know about the brake -clutch knob thing . .. no what i meant is the throttle free play .... as the manual says .. its in the right grib that lock nut that adjust the free play . had any one did it before .. i just wanna know what it does to the throttle .. does it give u some space in the throttle b4 it push gas in .. or what ... here is a pic of what im talkin about

[IMG]local://upfiles/12021/C067A43350ED42E8A56A3761AC6E1681.jpg[/IMG]

CBattR1000 05-10-2007 01:39 PM

Throttle free play.. im assuming... those bikers that do stunts end up changing the throttle so that the bike idles at high RPM...thats why when the bike falls the wheel is still rolling... and thats how they do that stunt where the wheelie with no hands.. its just really slow.. im assuming its that... but i dont really know..

wylowt 05-10-2007 03:46 PM

CBattR1000...what you're talking about is the idle adjust knob...not the throttle freeplay. I really don't know what it is but it seems like it's exactly what you said, it should adjust the freeplay in your throttle... In the beginning of your throttle should be some play before it actually starts gassing up...This throttle free play adjuster probably takes some of that freeplay out or puts some more in. I actually have some freeplay in mine that needs adjustment so i'm gonna try it out and get back to you.

simo1000rr 05-10-2007 05:53 PM

Cbatt .. the idle knob is diffrent than that im talkin about .. and ya wylowt .. i have the same issue here .. there is a gap in my throttle grib . between the 0 position and where the gas kicks in .. so i wanna make that space smaller . get back to mje and let me know ..

CBRWZRD 05-10-2007 06:01 PM

Throttle Freeplay is the amount of turn the grip moves before acceleration occurs. If you grab the throttle with only 2 fingers and lightly twist it with only a touch offorce, you will notice that the throlle moves ever so slightly but the idle does not change, that slight movement is freeplay.

simo1000rr 05-10-2007 08:49 PM

thanx .. exactly what i was thinkin'