what to expect at riding class

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 07:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to expect at riding class

i will be signing up for the MSF riding course, i was wondering what to expect when i get there. i have always wanted to have a bike, and now i have an 06 1000 as my first.

Old 10-08-2007, 07:19 AM
Default RE: what to expect at riding class

At least you were smart enough to take the course. Good for you! Many people don't

Generally, the first day is all classroom, boring stuff. They start you out with the very basics. Then you will hop on their 125's and 250's and ride around in a parking lot doing various maneuvers. Pay attention and you will learn plenty.

my advice: always respect your bike and it will respect you (and) Its not if you wreck, its WHEN, so dress accordingly

Old 10-08-2007, 08:10 AM

https://cbrforum.com/m_360824/mpage_.../tm.htm#360824

Expect to have fun at your class. Don't go riding without gear. You will regret it when you fall. Be patient. Practice in your neighborhood for a few weeks to get comfortable with your beast. I took 3 weeks on my 600 just puttering around my neighborhood before I felt comfortable going on the road with cagers. Please be careful. That is a lot of bike and it can kill you. Ride like you want to ride tomorrow. When you have a few months under your belt, you and your bike should take the experienced rider course. I'm going to sign up for it soon.

Old 10-08-2007, 08:50 AM

i will be a safe rider. i have no interest whatsoever in stunts or wheelies and all that. appreciate any tips and knowledge from more experienced riders

Old 10-08-2007, 08:54 AM

remember the MSF teaches the basics. the rest takes practice. dont feel bad if you let it go down. its bound to happen sooner or later just use it as a learning experience, pick the bike up an keep going.

now the WTF. if this is your first bike then why in the hell are you starting on a litre bike. yes the 1000rr is one of the most forgiving bikes out there but you are talking about a bike that will stand the front wheel straight up if you wiggle the throttle a little too much. say going over train tracks or hit some rough road and bounce your arms. when leaned into a corner and give it gas, if you give it too much it will smoke the tire and slide. you can respect the bike all you want, be as gentle as you can and be fine. its when the problems come up that crashing happens. turn tighter than you expected, slick road, unseen bump that cuses the throttle to go wide open. they arent called accidents because they are planned. just please have full coverage insurance. statistically speaking you are going to need it.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:52 AM

+1 and please be carefull specially if you have never ridden before. And great advice on the proper gear, and it doesn't have anything to do with being a beginner.
ORIGINAL: Onarom

At least you were smart enough to take the course. Good for you! Many people don't

Generally, the first day is all classroom, boring stuff. They start you out with the very basics. Then you will hop on their 125's and 250's and ride around in a parking lot doing various maneuvers. Pay attention and you will learn plenty.

my advice: always respect your bike and it will respect you (and) Its not if you wreck, its WHEN, so dress accordingly

Old 10-08-2007, 08:15 PM

I agree. I have had thousands and thousands of miles on bikes. Cross country; city; drunk; passenger on my dads Goldwing cross country. Whatever. I laid off for a couple years and now bought a new 1k repsol. could not be happier! That right hand can put you in a BAD spot very quick. I have fun taking my time putting myself in controled situations. That is a SWEET bike. Take your time practice is fun. Good luck. Traded in X wife for my Repsol. Right thing to do.

Old 10-09-2007, 10:07 AM

i dont think it really matters what you start out on. i respect everybodys opinons and input, but for me the 1000 is for me. i always thought you had to crawl before you walk but i chose to walk first.

Old 10-09-2007, 12:12 PM

It does matter, most peple start out on 250s etc easier to corner and ride in general. The 1k is sweet you will enjoy just be very careful ...it is a beast and I've been riding for over 20 years ..........but it is the sweetest beast out there.

welcome to our world.

Old 10-09-2007, 01:20 PM

i guess you are right, being a 20 year vet and everything. i have had this itch for about 6 years now and i can finally scratch it. i guess a smaller bike would be cool for somebody else. i dont think people should be discouraged from starting out on a bigger bike. i know its a monster, but i will be spending a lot of time in empty parking lots for a while.

Quick Reply: what to expect at riding class