Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: upshifting without clutch

Why do it??

Old 01-10-2007, 02:08 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Will that exstended warrenty be honored, when the mech. says this gearbox shows signs of not using the clutch...Remember... he works for the guy that signs his check. What your really asking for is permission to treat your bike harder than you NEED to. Just dosen't seem to pass the "need/no need" test. What ever happend to respecting your stuff??? Don't hondas have enough trany probs, w/o extra abuse?? To me it seems like... low/ oldoil. lowtire preasure, and other specific lack of proper motorcycling. Is the next guy, going to give you top dollar for your ride, because it was take'n care of ??? Do you think trade in time at the dealer, will go any less inspected???
Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 01-10-2007, 02:34 AM

ORIGINAL: dwhite645

If you do it constantly, it's bad for the shift forks - the part that actually slides the gears around. You'll wear them out.

I've done it many times, just don't get in a habit of doing it every single upshift.
I've got 78k miles on my previous bike and almost 20k miles on my current bike that says otherwise.

Again, if done properly, you'll add no more wear than when using the clutch.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:00 AM

so i tried it today, and i was able to shift a few times without the clutch.... but it usually doesnt let me... is it because i have roll off the throttle fully? if so, then wouldnt it be faster to use the clutch, and i have an 06 1k if that makes any dif. ) and i dont really plan on doing it, i just wanna see if i can do it properly and then stop. ive been using clutch for too long and im too used to it to stop now. thanx!

Old 01-10-2007, 03:41 AM

Here's how I do it. I do the following in order but very quickly (a split-second at most):
- place foot on the gearshift pedal in a position ready to shift putting a small amount of weight on the shifter
- let off the throttle
- shift gears
- get back on the throttle

if done properly, it'll feel like nothing happened. It may take some practice though. Letting off the throttle is very important as it takes the load off the tranny and allows the clutchless shift.

Old 01-10-2007, 10:52 PM

I do a clutchless upshift with just a slight roll off of the throttle on my '99 f4. It has about 30k on the odometer and I've never had any problems. Besides how do you explain airshifters. Isn't that clutchless. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree!!!! It "seems" like nothing... I think a person would have to be perfecting RPM, EVERY time. the clutch cusions the on/off transition, w/ every shift. This cusion help reduce loads on, headstock/wheel/swingarm bearings/trany/shiftforks /front fork bushings/rear hub cush drive/ camchain/cct./ drive chain/ sprockets.Also can change "settle" of bike in a corner, changing the geometry.Picky, I know...but it's really a bigger pic overall.
I just don't see the benifits (exept racing)... yes, you can do it well w/ practice... It is fun... I think time will tell, that the wear, really isn't worth it.Anyone out there ever miss a gear,and the resulting clunk???!!!! I think I will call Falicon ( they undercut trany dogs) and ask them, there general opinion... I'll post the results, Regaurdless.
Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 01-11-2007, 02:03 PM

ORIGINAL: rippn

I think time will tell, that the wear, really isn't worth it.Anyone out there ever miss a gear,and the resulting clunk???!!!!
Time has already told. Read my previous post about 78k miles.

Anyway, its pointless to discuss this further. If you feel it causes extra wear and tear, then use the clutch.

Old 01-12-2007, 12:58 AM

if done correctly, shifting without clutch is easier and faster.
the difference is when shifting normal you:

roll off gas, pull in clutch, shift up, realease clutch, rollon gas.

if you do without cluch is just like abadfishsaid. it all happens to quickly to even describe it.
If I remember correctly (i hope I don't get flamed for this) when rolling of throtle there is a dead spot,
that when done correctly the gear just slips in smoothly.

I've heard from people I ride with,just like many people are sayin in this thread thatits o.k.
the only thing its not good to do is downshifting without clutch.BAD

Old 01-12-2007, 01:03 AM

Yes, off throttle. If you're gunning the motor you won't be able to do it. Down shifts are the same way.
Why do it, well, sometimes you wanna stretch as you're coming to a stop at a light, sometimes wanna just sit up as you're slowing it down and put your hands behind your head.

Quick Reply: upshifting without clutch