upshifting without clutch

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 06:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upshifting without clutch

i've hear people say its bad for ur bike, but ive also heard many say there's no prob with that. couple of my friends ride without using clutch for shifting. im sure its great for racing, not wasting time clutching and all, but how bad is it for teh bike really, i mean if they gave teh bike a clutch then u frekn need it, right?!

Old 01-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Default RE: upshifting without clutch

The main reason that these bikes have a clutch is bc it is impossible to stop the bike and sit still without one (or without turing the bike off or putting it in neutral everytime you come to a stop). With that said the inline shift pattern on the transmission allows for all other shifts to be completed given proper allinement andengine/transmision speed. Is it bad for the transmission? This depends on what your deffinition of bad is. Everytime you shift two sets of gears come together one set on the motor side and one on the driveline side. These spin at the same speed when engaged but are allowed to spin at different speeds when the clutch is pulled in. When making shifts, a possitive engagement of these gears requires the teeth to line up properly. Now if you try to shift without the clutch you will notice that you will not be able to shift untill they do line up. This is more so evident at low rpms bc it takes longer for them to line up however at high rpms you may not even notice a problem with upshifting bc they tend to line up somewhat easier. So to recap evertime you shift the two sets of gears alline and re-engage. With a clutch they are pulled appart and then set backtogether after being repositioned (shifted). Without a clutch they are not allowed to reposition (shift) untill they are allined. So in short there is some bit of wear on the gears everytime they are shifted but it really depends on where the gears are when the shift is attempted and or when the clutch is let out as to how much wear each shift causes. My advice to you is if you are really worried about it get the extended protecion plan from your dealership and relax about it.

Old 01-09-2007, 01:14 PM

uhh yeah what kahili9 said lol i don tthink it is that bad cause i do it but not all the time and definately not when im racing in the high rpms lol

Old 01-09-2007, 02:20 PM

You don't need the clutch to upshift. If done properly, it won't create any extra wear and tear that you would get when using the clutch.

And you can do it even at high rpms.

Old 01-09-2007, 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: abadfish

You don't need the clutch to upshift. If done properly, it won't create any extra wear and tear that you would get when using the clutch.

And you can do it even at high rpms.
i know you can do it at high rpm's but since my bike is my only means of transportaion righ tnow i would rather not risk breaking the tranny lol

Old 01-09-2007, 02:45 PM

I do it sometimes, not a lot. I hope it's not bad for it but I've done it on ither bikes and never had any problems.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:04 PM

If youre that worried about it then use the clutch! You wont lose to many secondsgoing from one stoplight to another.Youre not going to break your bike by doing it on accident a few times. I do it on my dirt bike all the time on accident (foot faster than hand). And Ive done it on my CBR with no damage done. If you have any worries about it just clutch it up.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:31 PM

THANX! excellent feedback guys. its not that im so worried about it, more like, i wanted to make sure its ok to try before i did, and i do have the extended warranty, so ill give it a gove a couple of times. thanx everyone for setting me right about this whole thing!

Old 01-09-2007, 06:17 PM

Glad we could help. I hardly ever use the clutch except at stops or in really slow traffic situations. Besides the reason you ride a Honda is bc you want the best and expect nothing less. So give it hell and expect it to take it and give it right back to ya. Happy riding!

Shameless plug... check out our site at www.excessiveadrenaline.com thanks

Old 01-09-2007, 07:45 PM

If you do it constantly, it's bad for the shift forks - the part that actually slides the gears around. You'll wear them out.

I've done it many times, just don't get in a habit of doing it every single upshift.

Quick Reply: upshifting without clutch