up grades on new bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2006, 03:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default up grades on new bike

hello i am a first time forum user, could some one help me on a question? i just bought a 2006 cbr 1000rr and i would like to up grade the intake to a KandN and the programer i had the dealer put a two brothers slip on when i got it with zero miles i now have 110 miles. should i wait to break it in (6-700 miles) or should i get it all done now? also what is the ideal tire psi? thanks

[IMG]local://upfiles/8911/B5364B9CA5924CD1A55E2C87EB16EC07.jpg[/IMG]

Old 06-29-2006, 04:42 AM
Default RE: up grades on new bike

Hi, and welcome. Congrats on the new 1krr, i have the same one, and love the silver. Your questions are good, however you will probably get alot of different responses, as these have been both the topics of numerous threads. 1st I will state the what the pros and many of the riders on this forum have stated. It is a fact, that a power commander with the appropriate custom map can benefit any fuel injected motorcycle. That said, in most cases the installation of a slip on does not require a PC. Specifically with regard to the 06 1krr, the bike runs extremely rich from the factory, and the installation of a slip on does not normally cause the bike to run too lean, as is the case with full exhaust and/or installations on other models/years. On my bike I will be installing the Yosh RS5 slip and the BMC filter, and I will not be installing a PC3, at least not initially.

Your choice of filter has also be a rather heated topic, K&N vs. BMC vs. Stock. Many people are of the opinion that the factory filter out performs the K&N and only the BMC actually makes a noticable improvement over the factory filter. There have also been several posts with regard to fitament issues on the 06 1krr with the K&N. I think most of these are based on opinion, and the factual information is somewhat skewed based on altitude and expectations of the owner.

You truly need to know what you expect to gain before doing any mods. My choice of mods is not primarily to make my bike more powerful, for me I am satisfied with the power the 06 makes in its stock form. I am adding the Yosh slip on to improve the sound and looks of my bike, and the BMC filter simply because I want a reusable filter based on the fact that I live in Arizona, which is a very dusty enviroment. Both mods will also ad HP, but I see that as simply a bonus.

If I were truly seeking significant performance improvements, I would go with a full titanium exhuast that not only adds HP but cuts weight, I would add a PC3 with a custom map for the specific mods I have on my bike, and I would also elect to install the race flow filter vs. the street flow. Many people adds mods because they are the cool thing to do, without a lot of thought as to what they are trying to accomplish, for example rearsets, I chose the to replace my rearsets as they would open up my seating position and the pegs would not bind on my riding boots as the factory ones did. Added benefit, they look cool, were lighter, and much to my surprise feel considering more precise when I shift.

I hope you take some time to think through your mods and really have a clear picture of what you are trying to accomplish prior to spending your cash. For most riders, the 06 1krr, and even the 04/05 model years are more bike than most of us will ever be able to ride to its full potential. Again welcome and congrats and make sure you post pictures of the mods you do install and let everyone know how you like them.

Old 06-29-2006, 03:35 PM

thank you very much that was very help full. but do you think i should wait till break in point or break it in with mods? thanks again for your help.

Old 07-01-2006, 01:53 AM

hi..you can actually break-in from the dynamometer(dyno) if you choose to purchase the PC III but....since you already put some miles in it so I think it will defeat the purpose of breaking in on the dyno which is suppose to sit in your rings firm around ur pistons.

That said, I have a PC III installed 2gather wit my slip-on..power curve improved and gain extra hp...then my PC broke down[:@] and I've been riding since without one for more than 8 months and there's no problem..

For me, install the air filter(street/race) you should noe which one I'm refering to, slip-on or full system, flapper mod and etc etc before you install the PC III..the reason being, you only need 1 good custom remapping and voila!! ur bike is done. Errr.. sort off..LOL If you install the PC earlier, you may tend to remap the A/F ratio after each modifications made and it cost lots of money bro..less of course you have lots of it!!

Juz my 2 cents worth..welcome and enjoy ur new ride!!

Old 07-01-2006, 09:19 PM

to break in or not to break in....open that can of worms at your own risk...IMO...I'd wait to add any performance mods until you have some miles on your bike. And not because I am concerned about whether or not its better, simply do it becuase you want to make sure all is okay with your new bike before adding to it. Dealers can be finky about warranty work, and if you mod something, you give them an out as they can blame your mod for the problem instead of the factory defect....again IMO only; i have seen guys by there bikes fully moded before they even put a mile on it....this is fine, if you already know how the stock bike performs, and how you would like to improve it....let us know what you do and post some pics of your bike (not the honda.com photo);

Old 07-16-2006, 05:32 PM

thanks guys for the input ill wait till the 1000 mile mark to do all other upgrades.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8911/8CDAD6A7183245FCB6D21537997854CA.jpg[/IMG]