CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/)
-   -   Tuning of a 2006 engine (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/tuning-2006-engine-158498/)

Tor Olav Salvesen 01-05-2019 02:22 PM

Tuning of a 2006 engine

Is it a easy way to tune a 2006 1000rr engine, i have power comander V and kn air filters, and good exsos whit slipon.
But is it anything more i can do that dont cost, a new bike :-)

Sorry the bad English, i am from Norway ;-)

Jjbmxer 01-12-2019 03:19 PM

For now i would consider suspension mods.

JohnnyRocket 01-12-2019 03:40 PM

Not much at low cost. Do you have the 'Auto-Tune Kit' for the PC-V? It works great at adjusting maps on elevation & enviro changes. Curious, does your bike have the Euro hp limits? Personally I'm not a fan of K&N filters(too lazy to be out cleaning and oiling every few days) and never seen much real improvement. perhaps an exhaust bypass on the lower end of pipe to open up exhaust flow, and with the PC auto-tune kit you can save some good maps. then it would be a matter of hitting a dyno to do final tweeks to a few maps for max power. At low cost that is about it. otherwise it will be costly to open the engine depending on your skills. from 500-2500EU
I have an 05 and the biggest change was getting rid of the factory maps with the Dynojet, then a few yrs ago when the PC-V came out even better. but the engine pushes >210rwhp so 2yrs ago I regeared 6th to raise top end over 220. with me at 100kg, so it is a powerful engine. at 45k miles waiting for it to blow before touching it.
keep your eyes open for an 08 engine with low miles. I suggest putting that in with your bolt-ons before building an 06 engine. never said your milage, the engine may be tired and compression dropped? .
if you want a 1/4mile racer you have the wrong bike, the geometry is all wrong for that. on the street I don't know of any quicker between 40-180mph for exiting turns or general acceleration (slowing down needs work so must set for turns earlier, but exiting turns it winds up faster than anything else)
Realistically I'd say if your engine is running properly, with the changes you have made (Be sure to get the Auto-Tune if need it) your 06 will have more power than you can ever/will ever use.

JohnnyRocket 01-12-2019 06:53 PM

I should also say.
just slapping on a PowerCommander-V with Autotune is just the start of it.
There should be a 'Masters Class' on engine mapping..
You can simply say set the AFR @13 and let autotune do its thing.. but when setting it up you need to slowly go up throttle range % at a time for a stable map.
I Suggest.. There are MANY 'This is Awful' maps on YouTube out there.
but you set mixture then ign then mix again..
using a Dyno with a person who knows how to map is best.
But you can take the long way and learn mapping.
I suggest watching videos about bad maps, everyone likes to point out what another did wrong, and they good ones say why its wrong.
remember you can save tons of maps on your phone to load as you please. then run Auto-tune off that map for minor tweeks only. as it may be 10degC warmer or 20% more humid than when made the map.
best to make general maps for conditions.
...Commuter -good gas milage, just ladeda down the road, no performance needed.
.. have fun map.. some performance, but mostly smooth throttle response and still good milage.
… moderate map.. great midrange, mild lowrange, mild upper range.
.. aggressive map.. the road racer.. top performance but still stabile throttle response..
… the GTF Outta here map.. total performance with peak response for every throttle position at every rpm, if you snap the throttle it feels like the bike runs on red bull and amphetamines, real twitchy ride but you can run 20-200-20mph in 10seconds, lock your knees or get tossed off. (but what a rush thinking of it going 110 low around a turn pavement RIGHT THERE.. and all that's holding you on the bike is a thigh muscle.. or doing 80 drop and pop 3rd and upupup it goes giving you a great view of the clouds above as you run up to 5th before the front wheel goes back down, or stays up as you wish, but a 150mph wheelie, any windage and it gets scary.. (I suggest unicycles remain below 115mph, click 4th then ease on down)

… for me I always have the GTFOH map loaded and rotate the other map as needed.
but if your just bolting on a power commander and not taking the time to properly set up maps, then applying auto-tune, you pretty much wasted money.