Tires for 2005 CBR1000RR

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2006, 12:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires for 2005 CBR1000RR

I've been looking for a tread that talks about tires.

I have 6000 miles on my bike and I think I need new tires now because I'm starting to see where the belts are coming through the rubber. I still have the stock tires, Pirelli Diablo Corsa and they have been really good. I haven't noticed any kind of unwanted sliding, they really seem to hold the pavement. Most of my miles are highway, lately I've been driving to work and back (112 miles round trip). My question is, should I stick with the stock tire or go for more of a sport touring tire for better mileage and longer life? I've only had my bike 6 months and already need a new back tire. I don't want to sacrifice losing traction because I always seem to get myself going too fast around turns and I don't want to slide. Does anyone have a suggestion? I will most likely get new tires this weekend.

thanx
JM

[IMG]local://upfiles/4770/C2F6A6C1F3594DC08130570E96C5539B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-25-2006, 01:07 PM
Default RE: Tires for 2005 CBR1000RR

Flarz - From what I've heard around the watering hole the Pirellis are usually good for around 3000 miles or so, depending on how you abuse them, so it seems pretty good that you got the usage out of them that you did. The 1000rr's actually came with two different stock tire setups. The other stock tire is the Bridgestone Battleaxe BT014. This is the setup that I had on my 1000 when I purchased it. Bridgestones haven't historically been known for the best sportbike tire, but with the Battleaxe they pretty much hit the mark dead on. I put about 7500 miles on mine before replacing them. There was no belt showing, only the unfortunate flat spot we commuters embarrasingly develop. I rode the hell out of these tires on weekend twistys and was very satisfied with them. I switched to the Michelen Pilot Power as they had a special at the time I purchased new tires. I have already noticed a faster wear rate, but plenty of stickiness. I don't think you would go wrong with a pair of the Battleaxes. Good and sticky and plenty of longevity. Whatever you choose 6000 miles is gonna be pretty much the life of a sportbike tire... If your lucky... If you look at your swingarm you should see a tire chart that shows the different stock setups.
RubDub

P.S. Beautiful bike!

Old 05-26-2006, 01:46 AM

Stick with Diablo Corsa dude!! Always bear this in mind..if u wanna save cost on tires..u'll end up spending more on repairs!! Sports tourer tires are a no no for a superbike for me... power/speed = traction if u dun get the equation rite, see sentence above!! juz my 2 cents worth..e choice is yours! enjoy ur ride dude!!

Old 05-26-2006, 01:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though I know I am going to end up replacing the Perillis more than the Bridgestones I am going to stick with them. My partner and I both got 06' 1000RRs and he got Bridgestones on his, Perillis on mine. He seems to get more rear end shimmy in the corners than I do and we are both equally agressive in the corners. I don't know if it is due to riding style or tire, but I would prefer a softer compound with more stick than a harder compound and worry about rear tire quirkiness.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:45 AM

I got 5000 out of my corsa. But they are way high in $$$ to replace. The best deal I got was $179.99 and $45 to put it on.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:43 PM

I didn't find anyone who had the Corsa, so I got the Pirelli Diablo (Not Corsa). The shop said they are about the same, but this one will get more miles. I actually brought my bike in this morning with 6800 miles on the original tires. The shop also said that I should switch to the Michelin Pilots next time. I'm thinking that I should just stick to the Corsa's as Blade17fire suggested.

Old 05-26-2006, 11:26 PM

i just got a screw in my corsa. 650 miles, tell me that doesnt suck. so anyway i put a metzler on there hope its pretty comprable. who has the best tire prices out there.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:04 AM

I got 4,500 miles out of the diablos. Now running Metzler M1. Seems to grip better. Don't know how long they last though. Pilot Powers will be next.

Old 05-27-2006, 12:32 PM

wanna noe wat bout Michelin Pilot Powers...this is a personal experience so dun quote me on dis..

2 of my track day buddies bought a pair of fresh Michelin Pilot Power RACE(e best of Pilot Power Series)..while i stick to my trusty Pirelli Supercorsa Pro which is already battered thru 3 track days before..so we went to Sepang Intl F1 Circuit..For e 2 days while i was there..all 3 of us dun suffer any wiggly wiggly rear or front tire quirkiness..on the following week my buddies went to the circuit again while i sit dis one out noeing dat i shouldn't push my luck too far..and u noe wat..THEY CRASH!! one after another low sided..on dat dreadful day..3 riders dat i noe off crashed all of whom fitted the Michelin Pilot Power Race..my buddies swear never to fit a pilot anymore and to stick with Supercorsa instead..

Bottomline is stick with Pirellis!!!! no doubt Michelin is as good as Supercorsa but Pirelli lasts longer..trust me..

equation..Pirelli = 5 track days and survived Michelin = 2 1/2 track days and crashed

u choose..

Old 05-27-2006, 07:02 PM

Just remember your primary focus is commuting to work. The Pirellis will not outlast the Bridgestone or Michelins for daily freeway abuse. They are a softer compound and they will wear faster. Sure they work fantastic in the twisties, but unless your some super aggressive pro rider the Bridgestones/Michelins/Dunlops will keep your tires underneath you regardless of what you can throw at them. The fact is that unless you are really pushing the envelope of the bike's and your capabilites any one of the tires mentioned here will be more than good enough.

Quick Reply: Tires for 2005 CBR1000RR