CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/)
-   -   Thinking about getting a cbr1000rr (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/thinking-about-getting-cbr1000rr-144368/)

C Jacob W 01-25-2013 08:20 PM

Thinking about getting a cbr1000rr

Ive been looking pretty hard at 1ks lately and I really want to get a cbr1000rr. I ride a F4i right now and i really like the seating position of it. Is there a cbr1000rr with a similar riding position out there? I mostly will be doing city commuting and then occasional 3hr rides back to my hometown, which is why i would like a not so agressive riding position. My f4i has -1/+2 sprockets with k&n and pc3 and runs really rich so i already get pretty bad mileage. My logic is that i get a 1k for the power when need because downshifting is a waste of time:icon_razz:. And i can cruise at highway speeds without riding at 8k rpms or more which results in better mpg. Also i love the turns how does the cbr1ks compare to the f4i? Another thing is that my bike is my daily rider, i have no car. Let me know what you guys think, any feedback is appreciated.

RoadiJeff 01-26-2013 11:42 AM

I've never ridden an F4i, so I don't know how the two riding positions compare. I have an '08 1000RR and I've ridden it over 1,100 miles in 25 hours without much problem. However, I'm used to the riding position of a road bicycle with drop bars and its narrow, hard saddle. The 1000RR feels like a Gold Wing compared to long endurance rides on the bicycle.

If I had to do another long ride on the 1000RR it would be with a Throttlemeister and tank bag, both of which I now have. It has stock gearing and it seems fine.

raylee 01-26-2013 05:54 PM

In a sense, you can get better gas mileage on a 1k depending on what speeds/level of acceleration you're comfy with because you don't have to make the motor scream to get away from that swerving jackass watching Madagascar on his in-car entertainment system.

The CBR1krr has better suspension so turns will feel a lot better so long as you have it adjusted for you (all you need to initially worry about is the sag). It's gonna feel heavier, but it'll settle better mid-turn and corner exit will feel a lot better. Depending on what year CBR1000rr, the turn in will feel a little lazy or razor sharp compared to your f4i.

As far as seating position, the F4i is damn near upright compared to the CBR1000RR. Set of heli bars or riser clip ons will do the trick.

Good luck in your search.

camaroloverx4 01-26-2013 07:51 PM

i just brought my 07 1000rr home today and i was on an 01 f4i before. ill report back to you when i get a warmer day this week and get to ride it

C Jacob W 01-26-2013 08:38 PM

The gas mileage is not that big of a deal to me really but i just cruise mostly so i wont really be winding her out all the time. I feel like the seating position would be a pain on the bike after a while and i have throttle lock for the wrist so thats all fine there. Also the seating position would change what im use to on body position during hard turning as well, guess shouldnt be a big deal because ill just get use to it. Also from my researching the 1ks are only about 10-20 pounds heavier? so i didnt expect a big difference in weight.

And let me know how that 07 is compared to the f4i camarolover that would be some great feedback for me.

regener8ed 01-26-2013 10:29 PM

while i the (08+) 1krr may be slightly less comfortable over long distances, i still MUCH prefer it over the f4i for a multitude of reasons. as rider-friendly as the f4i was, i feel even more confident with the 1000 and enjoy the available power. truth is the f4i actually felt bigger, heavier, and less capable. and mpg of 35+ is entirely possible (depending of course on your aggressiveness with the throttle.)

raylee 01-27-2013 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by C Jacob W (Post 1213620)
The gas mileage is not that big of a deal to me really but i just cruise mostly so i wont really be winding her out all the time. I feel like the seating position would be a pain on the bike after a while and i have throttle lock for the wrist so thats all fine there. Also the seating position would change what im use to on body position during hard turning as well, guess shouldnt be a big deal because ill just get use to it. Also from my researching the 1ks are only about 10-20 pounds heavier? so i didnt expect a big difference in weight.

And let me know how that 07 is compared to the f4i camarolover that would be some great feedback for me.

It usually comes down to where the weight is. Some of that weight is moving in the form of wheels, pistons, con-rods, etc which increases how heavy that weight feels.

C Jacob W 01-27-2013 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by regener8ed (Post 1213631)
while i the (08+) 1krr may be slightly less comfortable over long distances, i still MUCH prefer it over the f4i for a multitude of reasons. as rider-friendly as the f4i was, i feel even more confident with the 1000 and enjoy the available power. truth is the f4i actually felt bigger, heavier, and less capable. and mpg of 35+ is entirely possible (depending of course on your aggressiveness with the throttle.)

When highway riding how difficult is it to sit straight up while just using your right hand for steering and left hand on the hip? And yeah i figured my gas mileage would be better on the 1k because as of now im getting about 100-115 miles to the tank(130 at best) on the f4i with -1/+2 and no speedohealer, So not very good.

And to raylee: That makes sense didnt really think of it that way? Where does it tend to feel heavier.

Im gonna go to the dealership tomorrow and see what i can get on a trade in, they have a brand new 07 there listed at 11,500 but i wouldnt pay that, what would be a fair offer on A Brand new 07 from the honda shop?

sjona2011 01-27-2013 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by C Jacob W (Post 1213755)
When highway riding how difficult is it to sit straight up while just using your right hand for steering and left hand on the hip? And yeah i figured my gas mileage would be better on the 1k because as of now im getting about 100-115 miles to the tank(130 at best) on the f4i with -1/+2 and no speedohealer, So not very good.

And to raylee: That makes sense didnt really think of it that way? Where does it tend to feel heavier.

Im gonna go to the dealership tomorrow and see what i can get on a trade in, they have a brand new 07 there listed at 11,500 but i wouldnt pay that, what would be a fair offer on A Brand new 07 from the honda shop?

11.5k is just ridiculous.
kbb says 7k retail, but if its been sitting on the showroom floor for the past 6 years then with extremely low miles then i wouldnt mind paying a bit more.

regener8ed 01-27-2013 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by C Jacob W (Post 1213755)
When highway riding how difficult is it to sit straight up while just using your right hand for steering and left hand on the hip?

i cruise like that all the time, no big deal. and a set of clip-ons with a 1-2" rise would make a HUGE difference.

a brand NEW 2007 still at the dealer? it's nice to find a classic like that still mint, but depreciation will be a bitch; one minute after you buy it it will be just another used 6-year-old bike (with low miles). and how old are the tires, battery, etc? cut that price in half and i'll think about it.