CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/)
-   -   Temp low and Burning smell / Raditor fluid smell (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/temp-low-burning-smell-raditor-fluid-smell-119709/)

bdahl77 12-29-2010 04:05 PM

Temp low and Burning smell / Raditor fluid smell

I rode my bike last back in early November on a warmer day, however, I was caught in a bad rain storm on the way home and when I pulled into the garage the bike smelled like it was burning or just really hot (the smell of new hot plastic). I thought maybe it was from water hitting the engine but when I went out to start the bike today to run it, I got the same smell but this time with a whiff of radiator fluid scent.

My radiator fans turned on around 180°F and wouldn't stop blowing, they continued to operate and wouldn't allow the bike to heat up past that temp range. Usually my fans kick on around 217°F

I don't know whats going on, could this be a blown fuse, thermostat, computer malfunction? Please help, something is wrong with my baby and I don't know what to do.

PS I have made turn signal mods and added a fender eliminator kit to my 2006 CBR 1000RR

THANKS FOR THE HELP

RoadiJeff 12-29-2010 04:39 PM

What's the status of the antifreeze fluid level? Any leaks?

revilingfool 12-30-2010 12:52 AM

^^ what he said. I think i remember someone on here telling me the hoses can blow also...

mininsx 12-30-2010 12:18 PM

The rain probably had something to do with it. IMO, if it does it again then yeah, you might have a problem. Check your radiator reservoir level for sure, but I wouldn't worry about it unless it did it again.

bdahl77 12-30-2010 10:29 PM

The antifreeze levels are good, actually there was one single drop under my bike, but I assumed it was from the overflow, but I could be wrong. I assuming I should take off the fairings and investigate. I rode my bike hard this last summer...

bdahl77 12-30-2010 10:31 PM

Here is a post that I read off another website regarding the fans potentially being a relay issue. "I bought a CBR10RR8 with manufacture date 01/2008 on the number tag. My first problem was both the cooling fans. The right fan always worked and is supposed to work when the temp reaches approximately 215-220F. However the temp was getting to 250F on hot day's. I noticed the left fan never came on. I took it to the shop and complained about this. They replaced a relay for the left fan. This cured the problem. The temp can get to 252F, that is the max and after that you get a flashing temp signal. Now when the engine reaches 225-230F, both fans work and temp quickly drops as advertized; warrantied no cost me. During this same period I had a problem starting the bike sometimes. The shop was thorough enough to find loose connections involved with the fuel injection, connections tightened, problem solved. I believe if you have, "a first run assembly", a bike assembled early in the year of 2008 (January), you may find loose connections. This is not to say that I bought a lemon. I am very happy with this machine. I wont complain about it now. Bad relay's happen all the time,"made by the thousands=bound to get one not working right".
If your fan is working only sometimes this can cause a boil over, which can be steam that is unsean while ridding, but smell is definent. You may not have seen the flashing temp numbers on the dash, You never would have expected that with a new bike, therefore never looked for it.
Hope you have no more problems

revilingfool 12-31-2010 12:45 AM

how fast are you riding on your way home? if your on the highway i dont think your temp could get that high, but dogging it on the back road perhaps.

justasquid 12-31-2010 05:12 PM

I think a combination of things happened. the smell was more than likely the water hitting the exhaust. The coolant smell is more than likely a loose hose clamp. After a few years, the hoses compress and the clamps need to be retightened. You could have a very small drop of anti-freeze, but on a hot engine, it will smell for a long time. My guess is the hose clamps are loose. i know mine were loose after 2 years and needed to be retightened.

I have not suggestion for the fan kicking on at the wrong temp though. That shouldn't have happened. Even if you were in a heavy down poor of rain, the bikes electronics are sealed well enough nothing should have happened there.

Does the fan still kick on at low temp?

Nubby 01-02-2011 07:10 PM

If your fans are staying on and you said it wouldn't allow the bike to get very hot (if i understand your OP correctly) it would make no sense for the smell to be from coolant due to overflow. It isn't going to have any overflow if it's not getting above 180. Possibly if your radiator is stuck shut, but then your temps would be well above 180. I recently had a leaking coolant hose out of the blue. I started my bike, got dressed and when I came back out there was a puddle under the bike. I pulled the right fairing and found the rubber hose connecting the aluminum line to the plastic fitting right off of the radiator was leaking. I pulled it off, cleaned everything, re-installed, and tightened the clamps back up. No more leak and no problem since. I think it may be due to riding in colder weather when the bike gets up to normal temp then sits in 30 degree weather, then repeated.

motorhorse 01-11-2011 10:21 PM

i wonder if its possible that fan relay or 'switch'(not familar w/ cbr1k wiring) is wired up backwards? i know on my f4 the fans kick on at 228 and shut off when the temp reaches ~180. not sure how the hell that would happen but i suppose its possible. ground side short on the relay? you could test it by killing power to the fan and let it warm up to ~235 or so then turn it off, reconnect the fan and see it it spins above 217.