Tail of the Dragon!

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 02:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail of the Dragon!

I am leaving FL on Aug.26th to go to NC. I am going to ride the Dragon and the Cherohala Skyway. Any one been there? I will be hauling my CBR in the back of my truck. What is the best way? On the side stand tied down or staight up no stand? Either way I am using soft ties. Its 10+ hrs drive so I want to make sure I tie it correctly. Talk to me

Old 08-17-2005, 02:45 AM
Default RE: Tail of the Dragon!

I guess the same princible applies to road bikes as dirt bikes.

Here's what I do with my dirt bikes. NO STAND! Straight up with the front forks compressed about half way with two tie downs. Get a good angle on the front tie downs and make sure the front wheel can't move sideways - very important. With the front tie downs alone, the bike should be quite solid but you still have to stop the rear wheel from moving side to side. Use another set of tie downs for this but only to stop side ways movement. Do not compress the rear shocks. Also, might be a good idea to check the bike a few times during your journey. Just to be sure, you could always get your girlfriend to sit on it - it's only a 10 hour trip and this way you'd be able to listen to whatever music you like.

For quick trips on the dirt bikes I only tie down the front. It's surprising how solid the bike is just with these. Mind you, dirt bike are made to fall over. Some guys out there may have specific experience with road bikes. This is how I tie down my dirt bikes.

Cheers

Old 08-18-2005, 12:37 AM

^^^^^

thas how I do it. Im going on a 2 days drive, well, its going to take 2 days before I can unload, but its only about 12 hours of actually driving, and I have it sitting in the back of my truck right now. I just did the two front ties, and compressed the shocks about as much as I could and tightening at the same time... its worked for me before, so well see how it goes on this trip.

good luck,

Chris

Old 08-18-2005, 01:21 AM

yo dude go to this website canyondancer.com they sell a strap to go over your bars it holds the tiedowns away from your farings so it doesnt scratch stuff up I got them at my local shop for 30.00 and they are priceless. Good luck on the dragon like 5 people have died on that this year take it slow for the first time knee draggrin buddie good luck

Old 08-18-2005, 01:40 AM

Thanks guys. I will take it easy for sure. I am going to ride not to die, and soak up the clean cool mountain air. Sometimes I think I am more worried about crashing up my long awaited investment than myself.
I have seen those canyondancers advertised . I will look into them. Thanks for the advice.

Old 09-07-2005, 01:48 AM

Well boys and girls I am proud to say that I survived the dragon and it was awsome. I went there the day the hurricane was pounding gulf coast.
The bike was perfect except for the seat of course. I rode for about 4-5 hours and when I got back I could barely walk my butt and back of my legs were so sore. I rode the whole loop through the Cherohala Skyway around through the dragon and back to Murphy. The Cherohala Skyway was the best for me. Lots of tight curves and wide sweepers. It was a real work out and great way to work on the skills. You have to hang off the bike to carry any kind of speed. Lots of knee draggin also. I learned alot about the bike. I ride motocross also and I was suprised at how soar I was all over when I got back. I am also 42.
I highly recommend this ride for everybody who likes twisties. The dragon was a little too tight for me but still fun. I suggest taking it slow the first couple times or you will get hurt. Here is the website with all the maps. Have fun, stay safe.

P.s. Another cool thing was I was the only Repsol rider in sight the whole day. Gixers every where though.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/maps.html

Old 09-07-2005, 05:29 AM

I rode the dragon earlier this year in April. Myself and three buddies only drove 5 hours from West Tennessee. The highway patrol was so bad on the gap we stuck to the skyway and other rodes most of the time. The air temp change on the skyway with the elevation is unbelievable. We met four guys from Canada that had come down to just ride those rodes. That says something about its popularity.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:03 PM

Both my wife and I ride sport bikes and for us, the best way to trailer them is by using a wheel choc made by Baxley. This thing is amazing because all you have to do is drive into it and it grips the front wheel automatically. Then we strap the rear end of the back at the rear foot peg brackets. No stress is put on the forks and you can load each bike by yourself in less than a minute. http://www.baxleycompanies.com/
The sport choc works for us and we use them to haul our dirt bikes as well.
And yes, the Dragon's tail is impressive....and humbling. Be sure to check out the Tree of Shame while you're there.

Old 09-07-2005, 12:27 PM

We also rode the Dragon this past weekend. Unlike many, I rode the Repsol from Michigan to Tenn...was glad that I added the corbin seat. After riding the dragon, we hit the skyway, then the parkway into NC. I agree with previous statement that the skyway way more enjoyable - way less traffic and can cruise without worry of slower/faster traffic.

For those making the trip, I would strongly recommend the skyway and parkway as a ride destination.

Old 09-08-2005, 02:03 AM

I read about the troopers also but I didn't see any on the dragon or the skyway. I went on a weekday so there was less traffic. Mostly just bikes. I eneded up taking my bike to N.C. in my inclosed trailer instead of the bed of the truck. That way it doubled as a garage when I wasn't riding and also put it out of sight when the wife and I went out. It gave me peace of mind when leaving it unatinded. We also got some of Katrina while we were there. Lots of wind and rain and even lost power for a full day.

N.C. is just a great place to ride and the dragon website lists all the great roads and also maps with known common radar spots.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon!