Suspension Adjustments?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 03:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension Adjustments?

Hey guys. I got my 2004 1000RR about a week ago. I was thinking i might need to make a few minor adjustments to the suspension. While taking a turn like an on ramp to a highway relatively hard at a good lean angle, i just feel like the suspension is a little to soft. It almost feels a little bit bouncy, I'm not good at describing it though, im sure you'd feel it too if you rode it. It isnt scary or an ything, i have complete control of it, it just feels like it could be better, tighter. So. My question is this. How do i adjust it? I have never set up a suspension before. I know its relative to my body weight, and i know where the controls are to make the adjustments, i've just never done it. Is this something i should attempt myself, or will i just screw it up? I weight about 170 pounds. Any advice, or links to some info i could read up on about this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot guys.

kyle
[align=left] [/align]

Old 06-08-2007, 06:06 AM
Default RE: Suspension Adjustments?

Here's some guidelines to follow for suspension adjustment:

http://cbrtech.dyndns.org:8080/cbrtech/damping.php - Compression/Rebound Damping
http://cbrtech.dyndns.org:8080/cbrtech/rider_sag.php -Sag adjustment (preload)

Old 06-08-2007, 04:06 PM

[align=left]Hey thanks a lot for the links there. Very helpful. I really had no idea how much was involved in tuning in the suspension, not that it really seems too complicated, just a decent amount involved. Ill have to get a few friends hopefully this weekend and give it a go. Have many of you guys followed these guidelines to tune your suspensions? Have most of you found that you have had to make significant adjustments or even change springs? Or do most of you just leave it as is? Let me know what seems to be the norm with these bikes. thanks guys.

kyle
[/align][align=left] [/align]

Old 06-09-2007, 02:16 AM

No problem. I always monkey with the suspension, to get it to where it feels just right or close enough to it. Like the guy said, in the preload link, the fork springs could be better on these, but the rear feels really nice. I'm big, at about 240, and would really like to respring the front to heavier ones. It's ok as is, but could be a lot better. These bikes are made for 160 lb riders, really. But the rear spring is stout, like said before.
For me, since I'm heavier, I always set the preload about 1 turn out from full hard on the front and 1 setting below full hard on the rear. That gives me about the right loaded sag for my weight. The front could be better though with heavier springs because under hard braking or really hard corners, the front will dive a little more than I'd like it too. I can't notice it dive in corners, but I know it does. It's noticable on dive when braking hard though.
The compression/rebound is a big pain in the *** to get right, just like the article says. I adjust mine a little every ride out until I feel it where I like it then leave it. To start off with, I adjusted both front/rear rebound/comp to almost full hard. Just about got bounced out of the seat on uneven pavement changes. Then go softer from there.
Just make sure you turn each fork leg rebound and compression equally on each one, same with the fork preload.
Preload adjustment are the black bolt looking adjusters on the top of each fork leg. I believe it's a 15mm. Socket or wrench for those.
You'll also need a spanner wrench for rear preload adjustment, and it's a real pain to turn. You can get a spanner from the dealer for about $10-20. Then get a 1 foot long pipe to slip over the handle for leverage to turn it easily. Just turn firmly, but carefully.

Old 06-09-2007, 11:31 AM

It has been reported time and time again that the springs on a 1000RR are way too soft for anyone over about 150 lbs. I am 185 and even if I dialed the front preload all the way up sag was still over 50mm. The cheapest and easiest way to fix is going to an 06 shock and rear link (the 06 rear link is the high dollar HRC link from 04/05) and a set of 100 dollar ohlins springs for the front in the correct spring rate.

It will make a world of difference.

Old 06-09-2007, 04:26 PM

Great information. . .thanks for posting it!

Old 06-09-2007, 07:43 PM

Old 06-09-2007, 11:32 PM

Try these settings as a basline, they're pretty good to start with.

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...gs/index4.html

Old 06-10-2007, 12:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Phoenix1

Try these settings as a basline, they're pretty good to start with.

http://www.sportrider.com/bikes/146_...gs/index4.html
absolutly not
set it up for your weight
get the sag first
everything else is subjective based on front end bounce and what feels comfortable
sag is set by preload
if that isnt right nothing else will be
check this link
http://www.1000rr.net/vb/showthread.php?t=14616
it is a step by step how to on setting sag

as far as compression and rebound
bounce the bike should go down
back and and start back down

shouldnt bottom out on hard braking
shouldnt notice a significate weight transfer under hard acelleration
lots of subjective stuff that only you riding and adjusting and riding and adjusting will figure out

set the sag
set rebound and compression on the hardest setting
go for a ride
note how it feels
then change one
then the other
when it handles good and feels stable
that is where you stay

you can take it to a track and have the suspension guy get you in the ballpark based on what he knows and your weight
but this of course depends on how good he actually is

Old 06-10-2007, 02:30 AM

[align=left]Damn thanks for all the killer info. I was hoping I'd get some good feedback from this, cuz i want my bike to be able to handle some hard corners and decent leaning ( of course safely and i dont mean doing 130mph on a freeway offramp), i just mean i want the bike to feel solid and planted when i lean hard into a corner. Cuz like i said, the way it is now, just feels kinda bouncy/mushy. So i need to do a little research now on what screw/bolt controls the adjustment for each setting. I know which one does preload now because you told me that. What does the little flat-head adjustment control thats on the top of the forks? Any more info would be great, but im sure i can find what im looking for on the net. Im gonna follow your advice baxsom and set it in at the stiffest setting and soften up from there as needed. Seems to make sense. Thanks again, and let me know if you think of anything else, or if you can help me with whats what as far as the controls go.

kyle
[/align][align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: Suspension Adjustments?