Stock can "Mod", or bad idea ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2005, 06:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock can "Mod", or bad idea ?

I overheard some guys talking at the shop the other day, and one of them swore that the stock exhaust will perform better after drilling some 3/8" holes in the baffles deep in the can. Is this true ? How would it sound ? Also, the last bike I will admit to owning was a 96`F3 and had never noticed this valve thing on the exhaust that has shown up on newer bikes. What is it ? Thanks for reading.....

Old 09-21-2005, 09:40 AM
Default RE: Stock can "Mod", or bad idea ?

Yes , just dont loose the drill bit in the can [8D]

http://hooliganbiketech.dynup.net/ho...haustvalve.htm

Old 09-21-2005, 09:50 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Noise control, eh? I'd heard it was emissions. A little back pressure can increase low end torque but the 2Bros slip on doesn't seem to mind not having an exhaust flapper.

Old 09-29-2005, 02:24 PM

yes i have some friends who have drilled out the caps on mufflers and removed the packing inside. it definately makes the bikes louder, but alot of them end up having to replace the rivets in the cap repeatedly because the vibrations keep them shaking loose. the only problem with that is, the muffler on a 1000rr is completely sealed so you would have to cut it open and then weld it back....to much hassle!! invest in a slip on, it is alot easier. the exhaust valve supposedly helps with emissions and gas mileage, but if you install a full system none that i know of use the valve and you have to remove it.

Old 09-29-2005, 03:06 PM

I wound up using a long drill bit extension and just put five holes in the baffle on each side. I don`t believe there is any packing in the stock can to take out, just steel baffles. I didn`t notice any power difference, just more noise. Trust me, if I had the $500.00 + I would have my slip on, but for now I have to work with what I`ve got. I disconnected my exhaust valve last night and I`ll take it out here in a few minutes and see if that helps or not...

Old 09-29-2005, 05:02 PM

Just got done with a "test ride", and was wondering if anyone else has disconnected their exhaust valve ? I could swear the low end (2k-4k) didn`t lug as much as it did... Is this possible or am I imagining shtuff to justify my garage time last night ? I also unhooked the "flapper" some time ago.