steering problems, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2008 | 03:42 PM
Default RE: steering problems, please help!

Thanksguys for all the in-put! I totally agree with all of your post...I just know that it isn't normal for the handle bars to shake....especially if everything is tight and aligned right....I have to say that I have been messing with my tire pressure but I have now made sure that the pressure in both tires are at recommended psi (36 front, 42 back) and it still does it...so I will call my local dealer and ask them what they think but again I appreciate all info...

Old 09-14-2008 | 04:38 PM

My opinion is from the Facts that you report that the problem is not on the steering dampe,r but the problem coming from the tire.
When a problem happen only in specific miles for exampile 60 miles as you reportthen its 90%from the tire .....

Old 09-14-2008 | 08:00 PM

If you need to lift the front end of the bike, just get a car jack and put it (with a block of wood on it) right under the exhaust heads, doesnt hurt it a bit, then set it on blocks. This works best with a helper, my bike weighs 450 wet, and it was NOT fun balancing that thing and jacking it up and setting blocks under it all with one hand.

Old 09-15-2008 | 06:04 PM

I called a local bike mechanic that i trust and told him what was going on and he first asked me about the psi in my tires and i told him that i make sure that the recommended psi is in both front and back and he then said that it sounds to him like it has to do with the steering bands, has anyone heard of these and what they do? just wondering what you guys think about this

Old 09-15-2008 | 08:42 PM

I believe this is just terminology. the steering bands are considered the bearings in relationship to the race. In a nutshell.. its basically how tight the steering head bearings are. Your friend could have just said steering head bearings.

get on your bike, roll it forward about 2 miles an hour and lock up the front brake... Do you hearor feel a clunk in the handlebars? if you do, then your headbearings are loose. If not, they are more than likely ok.

Already suggested from others, I would be inclined to think it was the tire as well. Even very slight cupping can cause this.

What tires are they? how many miles are on them?

If they are dunlops and you have over 3500 miles on em,, I'd guess its the tire.

Another thing to consider is.. the recommended tire pressure is at max load. You dont need to run Max load air pressure in your tires. I run 30 rear 32 front. If you run your tire pressure at its max, you may have less traction and a harsher ride. Probably nothing to do with your issue, but something to think about.

Old 09-15-2008 | 09:19 PM

I did what you said about rolling it about 2 mph and then hitting the front brake and it just makes the sound of the shock compressing, nothing out of the ordinary sounding...any my tires are the stock tires that came on the bike which are bridgestone battlax B015R's with about 4300 miles on them....but as far as wear, both back and front tire still look pretty good... especially the front...but I will tell ya this, If i stand in front of the bike and put my leg/calf muscle up against the side of the front tire and try and twist the handle bars with out the tire moving, I can move them alittle with enough force...I don't know if this is normal or not, but I can make the handle bars move alittle while holding the wheel completely still...what do you think about that?

Old 09-15-2008 | 10:45 PM

Yeah, read that in your earlier post and it should be impossible, that is if everything is tight. So you must have something loose. either a clip-on is loose, or your wheel is loose. I really dont know what else if could be that would allow the wheel to sit still while the handle bars are moved. Another posibility it your front wheel bearings are shot and there is play in them.. that would also cause a wobble.. but 4300 miles is very low for bearings to go out.

You really need to go around the entire front end and tighten everything up. I would also suggest loosening up the front 4 bolts at the bottom of your forks that secure your front axle, make sure your axle is tight, then retighten the 4 bolts.

I guess it would stand to reason if your headbearings were not adjusted correctly, then you could have some sidelash.... but they would also move up and down a bit for that to happen and you definately feel or hear a clunk at the head bearing. being the bike has so low miles on it, I can't imagine there being an issue with them.

Old 09-16-2008 | 01:22 AM

Try to change the front tire it is not the steering damper ..........

Old 09-16-2008 | 03:04 AM

Not trying to be a smart *** here but I believe it's your tire. You already had a decent mileage with the bt015 and I had used it too. It might look good but the symmetry might not in good shape.

Old 09-16-2008 | 04:38 AM

ORIGINAL: jbryant2

but I did just notice when I stand in front of the bike and lock the front wheel with my leg and try to turn the handle bars, it seems, that I can turn them alittle bit while the wheel is not moving...but its not like sloppy or anything like a wheel bearing it seems like it might be in the forks, i don't know
Reread the post and saw this. I believe that this could be your problem. It sounds like the forks are loose in the triple tree. Try tightening it down and see what happens. You shouldn't have any freeplay like that. The head bearings going bad won'tcause this. My guess is that when the bike got laid down it shifted the forks in the triple tree causing it to get loose. Also check the clipons to see if they're moving too. Won't affect the headshake, but could give the impression that the forks are moving when they aren't.

Quick Reply: steering problems, please help!