Sprocket: Front/Rear Change?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 08:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprocket: Front/Rear Change?

I cant get it up: Wheelie
I want to change my sprocket. What should I do to get it up more easily.
SHould i change the front to a smaller sprocket OR change the rear to a larger one.

Any ideas?

Old 08-16-2007, 12:55 PM
Default RE: Sprocket: Front/Rear Change?

Maybe your not really trying cause a liter bike (all of them) will picke the front up really easy and you don't have to clutch it either.

Get going in 1st to about 5000 rpm and open the throttle fast and hard and be ready for the front to jump up like it aint nobody's business!

Also, I think a 520 conversion is a must! After much research, I went with D.I.D. 520ZVM2 chain (rated to 1000cc) and Votrtex sprockets. Heated treated steel front (15T) and 7075 T6 aluminum rear (44T). I got all this for a package price of 217.00 total from Cycle Pros in Mesa, AZ who will also be installing the package tomorrow for 65.00 plus tax. I will have to get used to how the bike will take off out of the low gear corners I can't wait to get to the twisties Sat. morning!

Old 08-16-2007, 11:22 PM

Careful with the first gear wheelies. You can easily end up sliding on your back if your not careful.

I recently got use to 2nd gear wheelies and they have become my favorite...

1. In second gear, go about 40mph.
2. Hit the gas
3. WHILE ACCELERATING, pull in the clutch and release quickly (do all of this in one fluid motion)

Keep practicing, start out small and get comfortable. By comfortable, I mean that your heart should not be racing and your hand shouldn't be shaking.
PS- I still have hte stock gearing.

If you are set on changing the gear, go down one in the front and/or go up in the back.

Old 08-16-2007, 11:23 PM

Keep me informed on the improvments.

If all works well, I may be taking your advice.

Old 08-17-2007, 08:10 AM

You can pull a wheelie in 2nd without the clutch also... In 2nd going up to 7k-8k rpm and off, then back on the gas real hard and again up goes the front.You must use caution trying wheelie's on any bike but these liter bikes are so powerful that no matter what you do by the time you get it up in the air you will be flying. This is what will happen if you are doing power wheelie's, if you are trying stunt wheelie's there are a whole set of different rules.

Please use extreme caution when attempting wheelie's and remember it's at your own risk. One more thing, make sure your suspension is set up pretty hard (like race set up) cause you will probably come down hard a couple times until you get used to it. Just remember that when it comes up slightly let off the gas and get back on (not too hard) and the wheel will slowly come back down.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:14 PM

I dont know so much about the 520 conversion. but I went down one gear in the front on my 06 1000. very cheap and only takes about 30 minutes to change. my top end was reduced about 10 to 12 % but it does come up so much smoother. I almost feel this was a better mod then getting a powercommander.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:02 PM

Well I wasn't able to make out to the twisties Sat. cause I got such a late start Friday night installing my speedohealer. This is the best mod that I have done, period! The bike will pull a wheelie in second easily with no clutch and just steadily comes up. You do lose some top end and some gas mileage but the bike comes to life like you would not believe.

Since I chose spefically the D.I.D. 520 chain (zvm2) Vortex sprockets (aluminum rear), I dropped about 2.5lbs of rotating massand unsprung weight. This made a huge difference in corners. Feels like a brand new bike. After this mod, I'd love to come across some fundage to get some ultra lite race wheels! See ya!