Sport Rider Mag. Liter bike Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 07:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sport Rider Mag. Liter bike Shootout

Oh, Honda did have the quickest lap time on the track portion, by the way. It was like a half second faster than the kawi.

Old 05-11-2008, 01:26 PM

I have read other reviews that say that the Honda didn't feel as fast as it actually was. To me, that means that Honda did their homework and made a very well balanced bike. I guess to them, it takes away from the "fun" factor.

But since when is Honda EVER the lowest on quality. Most of there factors are qualitative/opinion based and can be easily biased, but how do they figure that the quality was the lowest. I would like to hear more about that!

Old 05-11-2008, 03:55 PM

I think the HP number is lower due to a new HP rating scale that changed a few years ago where all motervehicles look lower, because of some "universal" rating where you can actually believe the differences between a Honda and Toyota. I am sure this applies to bikes as well.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Camman

What I cant understand is even before the 08 cbr 1000 came out people was saying how good of a bike it is, even before they knew anything about it. Its so much hype behind the 08(don't get me wrong I'm not putting it down). But look at the numbers when the 06 came out not only was it making more stock power but it dry weight is lighter.
I hope you are not trying to say that the '06is lighter than the '08. The "hype" has turned out to be fact. The '08 has won just about every shootout.The Roadracing World reviewers, who race Suzukis, say the '08 is the best liter bike ever made. That's hype?

ORIGINAL: Camman

Leave theUK bike out of this we are in the US I could care less about their bikes
You might want to do that because the UK '08s make 160 rwhp andoutclass the '06even more.

ORIGINAL: PlayfulGod

I think the 06 looks worlds better, the hp may not be that of the 06 n it may be a tab heavier. But the 08 out performs (by the test I seen/read) and the ppl I know who have owned both love the 08 n say how much better it is than their 06 was. Think a few said the 06 had more bottom end punch to it but the 08 was alot smoother.
Again, I hope you are not trying to say that the '06 is lighter than the '08. The '08 1000RR is so much of a better bike that the previous 1000RRs aren't even in the same league.

Old 05-11-2008, 06:35 PM

ORIGINAL: jgolo

I think the HP number is lower due to a new HP rating scale that changed a few years ago where all motervehicles look lower, because of some "universal" rating where you can actually believe the differences between a Honda and Toyota. I am sure this applies to bikes as well.
The peak horsepower number is low because Hondaretarded the timing at around 10,500 rpm forreasons not yet made clear. The UK bikes thatdid not get the timing retard make 160 rwhp and no '06 or other 1000RR comes close stock for stock.

Old 05-11-2008, 08:02 PM

I agree red08. The 08' CBR is lighter than the 06' by far.and, it has to makemorepower.Like I said earlier, I saw one at the Honda House. It's light just like my old 954 was. And, that was one of the lightest bikes Honda has made. I tell ya, that 954 was pretty damn awesome. I wish I would have kept it. But, I traded it on my 06 1000rr. I didn't want to have 2 bikes because the insurance would have been too much . But, after the fact, I realized, all I had to do was finish paying the 954 off and get liabilty on it, which would have been only $40 a month. I only owed like4 grand on it. they gave me $5,000 for it. Which only took $1000 off the 06'. After tax, tag, and title, I still financed $10,500. I went in there a few weeks later and they had a $7000 price tag on my 954. I really F$&cked up on that one......haha

Old 05-11-2008, 11:01 PM

ORIGINAL: red08

ORIGINAL: jgolo

The peak horsepower number is low because Hondaretarded the timing at around 10,500 rpm forreasons not yet made clear. The UK bikes thatdid not get the timing retard make 160 rwhp and no '06 or other 1000RR comes close stock for stock.
I'd bet you a dollar that the good 'ol EPA had a little something to do with that. At any rate, a PCIII could fix that, but I've seen a video talking about what a b#$ch it is to install a PCIII on the '08.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:28 AM

ORIGINAL: woogie

I'd bet you a dollar that the good 'ol EPA had a little something to do with that. At any rate, a PCIII could fix that, but I've seen a video talking about what a b#$ch it is to install a PCIII on the '08.
There are all kinds of speculation regarding the why butno matter what the reason I would expect Honda to come clean about it instead of playing dumb. A Dyno Jet ignition module as well as the PCIII is needed to re-gain the "missing" spark advance. All told it is about $500 worth of stuff that could have been better spent on suspension, gear, track time, etc. I have also read on another forum about what a beeyotch it is to install the PCIII on the '08 ... removing the airbox and such.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:04 AM

I wouldn't get to worked up about it, most of the things that were problems on the CBR08 in the Sport Rider Literbike Shootout, were not problems in the other Literbike Shootouts. They probably got a bike from Honda with a few problems. If 1 out of 8 Shootouts have a few problems with the Honda that none of the others had, it's probably just isolated problems on that one Bike. Let's see, in future tests, if the Honda has the same suspension and other problems they metioned in Sport Rider Mag, than I would say those problemsto be an issue. In real the world and on other Forums, I have not heard these same problems Sport Rider Mag is saying to be an issue.

Horse Power I would not give a Rat's *** about, The Honda beat all those bikes on the track by a pretty good margin. What would you rather have a Bike with 175rwp that does 1:45.9 or 155rwp that does 1:44.0 on the track.

The Kawasaki always has the most horses, for years that's been true. What's also true is they rarely win any races in World Superbike, AMA Superbike, or MotoGP for that matter.

Real World Again....... I had an 06CBR1000RR and most of the other riders I ride with have Suzuki's(GSXR's, HayaBusa's) and one other guy has an 06 ZX10. None of them can beat me, I also have like 23years experience to their like 2 to 4 years of riding. All of there bikes have more horsepower than mine, doesn't bother me none in the least. Where there power is none of them have the capability of using on the road (top end).

My buddy with the ZX10 let's me ride it when I want to, I will say you can feel a big difference in the power of his motor compared to my 06CBR1000RR. I just can't get it to the ground without feeling like it's going to through me off like a ragdoll, really scary feeling when riding his bike hard to the limits. It gives you no confidence in riding it hard like that. My point is what good is all that power if I can't use it and feel safe while doing it.

Give me the Honda's all day long with their useable horsepower, all of it.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RICHS65

I wouldn't get to worked up about it, most of the things that were problems on the CBR08 in the Sport Rider Literbike Shootout, were not problems in the other Literbike Shootouts. They probably got a bike from Honda with a few problems. If 1 out of 8 Shootouts have a few problems with the Honda that none of the others had, it's probably just isolated problems on that one Bike. Let's see, in future tests, if the Honda has the same suspension and other problems they metioned in Sport Rider Mag, than I would say those problemsto be an issue. In real the world and on other Forums, I have not heard these same problems Sport Rider Mag is saying to be an issue.

Horse Power I would not give a Rat's *** about, The Honda beat all those bikes on the track by a pretty good margin. What would you rather have a Bike with 175rwp that does 1:45.9 or 155rwp that does 1:44.0 on the track.

The Kawasaki always has the most horses, for years that's been true. What's also true is they rarely win any races in World Superbike, AMA Superbike, or MotoGP for that matter.

Real World Again....... I had an 06CBR1000RR and most of the other riders I ride with have Suzuki's(GSXR's, HayaBusa's) and one other guy has an 06 ZX10. None of them can beat me, I also have like 23years experience to their like 2 to 4 years of riding. All of there bikes have more horsepower than mine, doesn't bother me none in the least. Where there power is none of them have the capability of using on the road (top end).

My buddy with the ZX10 let's me ride it when I want to, I will say you can feel a big difference in the power of his motor compared to my 06CBR1000RR. I just can't get it to the ground without feeling like it's going to through me off like a ragdoll, really scary feeling when riding his bike hard to the limits. It gives you no confidence in riding it hard like that. My point is what good is all that power if I can't use it and feel safe while doing it.

Give me the Honda's all day long with their useable horsepower, all of it.

I second this....enough said.. thanks Rich..

I'm completely satisfied with my 08' 1k and its plenty of fun....

Quick Reply: Sport Rider Mag. Liter bike Shootout