Someone tried stealing my bike

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Someone tried stealing my bike

Sorry, not trying to heat up the forum, but I also live in Florida and If it came down to it I would shoot first and ask questions later. There would be noone able to testify at the trial because the thief would no longer be breathing!

I doubt the situation would ever come about, mine is parked just inside my front door and I work in a VERY secure location. You would have to be SERIOUSLY retarded to steal my bike from the parking lot where I work!!!!

Whenever I am out and stop somewhere My bike is always within view, and you would have to break into my house (which a coroner would be called for you) to steal it!

Old 11-08-2008, 12:34 AM

ORIGINAL: Evan_CBR

Worst case scenarios happen fast. Why would you even take the chance that the guy would not be scared off, has a weapon of his own or has someone else to take his back?

Believe me, you do not want to have to answer for using “deadly force” to "protect what is rightfully yours"...unless it is your life. The first thing the prosecutor will ask is "why did you opt to confront the thief instead of calling police." And no answer will keep you from prison.

Does vigilante ring a bell?
I'm familiar with the term vigilante, but why would it "ring a bell?" I can't speak for everyone here, but I don't think we're talking about running up to a guy who's stealing your bike and just blasting his brains out. If I was braveenoughto confront a perpwho wasstealing my bike I'd grabmy 12 ga. pump and from a safe location, advise him to get lost. If hequickly pulled a gun and got a shot off he'd very likelymiss and I'd be in no danger of going to prison if I popped him. Themain problem (like you mentioned) iswhere the perp has armedassociates who are waiting for you to comeout, then you're pretty much screwed.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:38 PM

ORIGINAL: SD2007

I'm familiar with the term vigilante, but why would it "ring a bell?" I can't speak for everyone here, but I don't think we're talking about running up to a guy who's stealing your bike and just blasting his brains out. If I was braveenoughto confront a perpwho wasstealing my bike I'd grabmy 12 ga. pump and from a safe location, advise him to get lost. If hequickly pulled a gun and got a shot off he'd very likelymiss and I'd be in no danger of going to prison if I popped him. Themain problem (like you mentioned) iswhere the perp has armedassociates who are waiting for you to comeout, then you're pretty much screwed.
Again, you miss the point of the law....you were not in danger and "you" confronted the thief with a deadly weapon when your life was not in danger.

Therefore you would go to jail. However, If you are brave enough to "POP" a guy for stealing your bike, then I can only hope that you will be brave enough to "STOP" your cellmate from stealing your manhood. And that would be the least of your problems.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: 88stang

guns are a great thing for protection. I no u probably will not shoot someone for trying to steal ur bike but if u point a gun at someone stealing ur bike hes def going to stop
But what if he doesn't stop...then what? What if he has a gun too? What if a gun battle starts and one of you shoots an innocent kid on the corner; or through someone’s window.

It is rash irresponsible thinking that gets everyone hurt. And when you create an unpredictable hostile environment (that would be a shootout between two untrained civilians); you endanger everyone else….over a stupid bike that can be replaced.

You will go to jail and still lose your bike in the end.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Rod38um

More sympathy for the criminal than the victim.......all too often happens in this country.....not with me on the jury. SOB steals your stuff and you pop him......I'll shake your hand after the trial and thank you for making my city safer! Laws that say otherwise....need changed. Deadly force is a deterent.....liberal laws are not.....
But you will go to jail under those liberal laws. But don’t worry...I’ll have sympathy for you too.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:37 PM

Again, you miss the point of the law....you were not in danger and "you" confronted the thief with a deadly weapon when your life was not in danger.

Therefore you would go to jail. However, If you are brave enough to "POP" a guy for stealing your bike, then I can only hope that you will be brave enough to "STOP" your cellmate from stealing your manhood. And that would be the least of your problems.
Maybe on the planet you're from the police show up instantly to stop all crimes in progress. Maybe the insurance companies make instant payments for the full, fair value of your stolen goods. Here on earth that ain't the case. If some jerk comes running at me shooting,there's no way in hell I'm going to jail unless my cousin Vinnyis representing me. Make all the bubba cornhole butt buddy jokes you want, that doesn't change the law.

Old 11-10-2008, 10:52 PM

lock it up..or go buy a zx 14 and add a ton of stuff so it can be heavy as hell lol
to make it impossible for 2 guys to lift it

Old 11-11-2008, 02:01 PM

Maybe on the planet you're from the police show up instantly to stop all crimes in progress. Maybe the insurance companies make instant payments for the full, fair value of your stolen goods. Here on earth that ain't the case. If some jerk comes running at me shooting,there's no way in hell I'm going to jail unless my cousin Vinnyis representing me. Make all the bubba cornhole butt buddy jokes you want, that doesn't change the law.

Too bad you didn’t read and stay within the context of the conversation. Nobody was talking about someone "running at you shooting". The discussion was focused on you confronting a thief with a gun; and what would happen if that resulted in you shooting/killing the thief.

However, it is nice how you completely “changed” the scenario to justify the naïve & absurd vigilante stance you took earlier. However, feel free to shoot at will…and you will go to jail…and that’s a world you don’t want to discover.

And just so you know and won’t be confused during a later discussion; like all of us on this forum…I am from the planet earth also.

Ride Safe and leave the gun at home; you might hurt yourself with it.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:54 PM

Too bad you didn’t read and stay within the context of the conversation. Nobody was talking about someone "running at you shooting". The discussion was focused on you confronting a thief with a gun; and what would happen if that resulted in you shooting/killing the thief.

However, it is nice how you completely “changed” the scenario to justify the naïve & absurd vigilante stance you took earlier. However, feel free to shoot at will…and you will go to jail…and that’s a world you don’t want to discover.

And just so you know and won’t be confused during a later discussion; like all of us on this forum…I am from the planet earth also.

Ride Safe and leave the gun at home; you might hurt yourself with it.
Leave the gun at home? It was always at home, I didn't indicate anything to the contrary. It is you whocan't read. Just a few posts ago it was me who said-

'I can't speak for everyone here, but I don't think we're talking about running up to a guy who's stealing your bike and just blasting his brains out. If I was braveenoughto confront a perpwho wasstealing my bike I'd grabmy 12 ga. pump and from a safe location, advise him to get lost. If hequickly pulled a gun and got a shot off he'd very likelymiss and I'd be in no danger of going to prison if I popped him.'

I'll translate that for you into more specific terms. Some guy is stealing my bike in the middle of the night, I grab my gunand from around the far corner of my house ('a safe place') I tell him to leave. If he has a gun and decides to start shooting,he's not going to casually stand in the middle of my driveway. He's either going toflee or come at me. If he bolts, I don't need to shoot him. If he comes at me, well you get the picture. Even if he did just stand there like a moron and shoot at me, I'm perfectly within my right to shoot back.If he dies, the cops will find a thief with a smoking gun and his bullet holesin my house,fence, etc.

Did I completely 'change the scenario?' Not even close. I merely added the next step in the most likely sequence of events that would have taken place if I had shota thief.

Sotelling a guy to stop stealing your bike,while having a firearm at the ready isa naĂŻve & absurd vigilante stance? Maybe on planet Evan. According to Evan-law, these guys would have gone to jail without question-

Guy #1

Guy #2

Somehow they got off without even being charged. Now it's your turn Evan. Show me the case where a person acting in the manner I've described goes to jail.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:15 AM

Leave the gun at home? It was always at home, I didn't indicate anything to the contrary. It is you whocan't read. Just a few posts ago it was me who said-

'I can't speak for everyone here, but I don't think we're talking about running up to a guy who's stealing your bike and just blasting his brains out. If I was braveenoughto confront a perpwho wasstealing my bike I'd grabmy 12 ga. pump and from a safe location, advise him to get lost. If hequickly pulled a gun and got a shot off he'd very likelymiss and I'd be in no danger of going to prison if I popped him.'

I'll translate that for you into more specific terms. Some guy is stealing my bike in the middle of the night, I grab my gunand from around the far corner of my house ('a safe place') I tell him to leave. If he has a gun and decides to start shooting,he's not going to casually stand in the middle of my driveway. He's either going toflee or come at me. If he bolts, I don't need to shoot him. If he comes at me, well you get the picture. Even if he did just stand there like a moron and shoot at me, I'm perfectly within my right to shoot back.If he dies, the cops will find a thief with a smoking gun and his bullet holesin my house,fence, etc.

Did I completely 'change the scenario?' Not even close. I merely added the next step in the most likely sequence of events that would have taken place if I had shota thief.

Sotelling a guy to stop stealing your bike,while having a firearm at the ready isa naĂŻve & absurd vigilante stance? Maybe on planet Evan. According to Evan-law, these guys would have gone to jail without question-

Guy #1

Guy #2

Somehow they got off without even being charged. Now it's your turn Evan. Show me the case where a person acting in the manner I've described goes to jail.
Still not reading, the District attorneyfor guy #1 clearly states...

"The district attorney's office said Saechin broke the law by discharging a firearm in a grossly negligent way, but he will not be prosecuted because no one was injured. Saechin's cooperation is needed in the attempted burglary case against the three."

So there, you have proven your own self wrong. The guy broke the law but would not be prosecuted because "NO ONE WAS HURT." Had he hurt someone, he would have been prosecuted. Had he killed someone (which is what I was referring to), he would have been prosecuted. Now add on hitting an innocent person.

For Guy #2, the text reads “no charges are not expected” and the basis is that the thief was on his “property” (the house, not the car).

The next time you post a link to prove your case...read it first. So tell me again, how does either of these two links prove your case? Take a hint: be "brave" enough to quit while you are behind.

Ride safe; read first; stick to the issue at hand; and post thoughtfully.

Quick Reply: Someone tried stealing my bike