shifting gears?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2006, 03:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifting gears?

I have a new 1krr, and i was just wondering at what speeds do you guys usually shift gears? When racing and just riding at a normal pace? Or do you usully go off of your RPMs?

Old 10-24-2006, 05:29 AM
Default RE: shifting gears?

On the street, you have to look at the speed first and RPM second; unless of course, if you like tickets, you can just stare at the tach. The 1000rr can quickly take you up to 45mph in first gear without much of a scream. The recommended shift points indicated in your manual is extremely conservative. If you do not want to get into trouble, I suggest you stay below 6000 RPM on the street. On the track, you should stay at the RPM that produces the most amount of torque (around 11,000 rpm), but this is not always possible because even on the track, you are limited by corner entry speeds. In any case, higher the RPM, the better, on the track.

Old 10-24-2006, 03:06 PM

These bikes don't like to be lugged around town, so at least 3-5k rpm shift points. When riding the twisties hard, I usually keep it between 6-9k rpms for increased engine braking.(sometimes higher)

Old 10-24-2006, 05:46 PM

I was told that is not good to ride below 5k all the time. Something to do with the engine performance or what not.

Old 10-24-2006, 08:52 PM

SpeedTrap:

If you do any highway riding, there's no way you can stay below 5000 RPM. Conclusion is that a motorcycle or a car will not function properly if you don't do any highway travelling. On the other hand, a constant high RPM riding (above 6000 RPM) will wear out your engine faster than normal. Even a high performance engine will give out sooner if you push it hard. My point is, "don't over do it". Let's face it, if you're not racing, then you're NOT racing. Personally, I find ga_cbr_rider's 6-9k RPM a little high for the twisties. Sure, you get a lot more engine braking, but it also has the down side that your throttle will respond that much more abruptly. In a corner, a harsh throttle handling can cause loss of traction. A better way to control speed is primarily by the use of the BRAKES. High RPM riding is preferred by racers because that's where most of the HP is. They want to stay up there as long as possible before they have to shift down to reduce speed for corner entry. Shifting to a lower gear helps to slow down the bike, but the main reason for down shifting is to maintain that high RPM even as the speed is reduced. They want to maintain the high RPM so that at exit, their bikes will be ready to launch out of the corner without excessive up-shifting. The speed of the bike is mostly controlled by the brakes, and racers use a technique called trail braking to accomplish a smooth reduction in speed as well as a smooth increase in throttle as they approach the apex. It's all about smoothness and keeping the bike from wobbling around due to abrupt braking and acceleration.

Old 10-24-2006, 09:35 PM

ORIGINAL: 2wheels

SpeedTrap:

If you do any highway riding, there's no way you can stay below 5000 RPM. Conclusion is that a motorcycle or a car will not function properly if you don't do any highway travelling. On the other hand, a constant high RPM riding (above 6000 RPM) will wear out your engine faster than normal. Even a high performance engine will give out sooner if you push it hard. My point is, "don't over do it". Let's face it, if you're not racing, then you're NOT racing. Personally, I find ga_cbr_rider's 6-9k RPM a little high for the twisties. Sure, you get a lot more engine braking, but it also has the down side that your throttle will respond that much more abruptly. In a corner, a harsh throttle handling can cause loss of traction. A better way to control speed is primarily by the use of the BRAKES. High RPM riding is preferred by racers because that's where most of the HP is. They want to stay up there as long as possible before they have to shift down to reduce speed for corner entry. Shifting to a lower gear helps to slow down the bike, but the main reason for down shifting is to maintain that high RPM even as the speed is reduced. They want to maintain the high RPM so that at exit, their bikes will be ready to launch out of the corner without excessive up-shifting. The speed of the bike is mostly controlled by the brakes, and racers use a technique called trail braking to accomplish a smooth reduction in speed as well as a smooth increase in throttle as they approach the apex. It's all about smoothness and keeping the bike from wobbling around due to abrupt braking and acceleration.
Plus 1 on that
I keep between 5K and 6K (city) just below the powerband,in case I need the extra ponny's for an emergency.
Plus, when on these Rpm's you run your bike with a nice deep sound from the exhaust as opposed to loud and abnoxious (which will pi$$ off cops).
NOT SO SURE ABOUT IT, but I also think you can get a better milleage!!!

Old 10-25-2006, 02:42 AM

Isn't it true that you don't want to labor the bike around, especially if it is a newer bike?

Old 10-25-2006, 11:19 AM

You don't need to shift the bike unless you go faster than 70 MPH, just stay in first To be honest if you can figure out when to shift maybe you should be driving a car..............

Old 10-25-2006, 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: cbrrookie

Plus 1 on that
I keep between 5K and 6K (city) just below the powerband,in case I need the extra ponny's for an emergency.
Plus, when on these Rpm's you run your bike with a nice deep sound from the exhaust as opposed to loud and abnoxious (which will pi$$ off cops).
NOT SO SURE ABOUT IT, but I also think you can get a better milleage!!!
+1
Its better u keep around the powerband in case of an emergency. And lower RPMs will always give u better gas mileage then runnin it at over 6k. Plus u can always rev it up real quick in case a curb squirrel starts hollerin for u 2 slow down so u can pretend not to hear her. [sm=shutup.gif]

Old 10-25-2006, 11:57 AM

What exactly is meant by power band?

Quick Reply: shifting gears?