190/55 tires on a C-ABS 1000rr

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 190/55 tires on a C-ABS 1000rr

Hi all, I need help!;

I'm buying new tires for my 2014 C-ABS 1000rr. I would really like to try a 190/55 rear tire (Michelin PP3) but I'm worried that the ABS computer won't be able to handle the "non-standard' tire size. I've read so many complaints about flashing ABS lights, and my blade definitely suffers from the "lever going soft" problem, but has never had a fault light flash.

The only mention in the manual is "use the recommended tires or equivalents of the same size........."

The service manual states: "The Combined ABS indicator might blink if tires not recommended for the motorcycle were installed (incorrect tire size)"

I understand that with other bikes such as the R1 the ABS computer "learns" the size of whatever tires are installed, so larger tires aren't a problem - but I have seen no such information regarding Honda's C-ABS system. Knowing how poorly implemented the Honda system is, I wouldn't doubt that they never took into account different sized tires!

Is anyone out there using a 190/55/17 on the back of a C-ABS bike and if so did it cause any problems - such as upsetting the abs electronics or bringing up a warning light, etc?

thanks for all the help
amnesia

Old 05-24-2017, 05:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe find a used tire and try it to see what happens. I wouldnt use a used one that the middle was burned off, but one with plenty of center left on it.

Old 05-30-2017, 12:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by amnesia
Hi all, I need help!;

I'm buying new tires for my 2014 C-ABS 1000rr. I would really like to try a 190/55 rear tire (Michelin PP3) but I'm worried that the ABS computer won't be able to handle the "non-standard' tire size. I've read so many complaints about flashing ABS lights, and my blade definitely suffers from the "lever going soft" problem, but has never had a fault light flash.

The only mention in the manual is "use the recommended tires or equivalents of the same size........."

The service manual states: "The Combined ABS indicator might blink if tires not recommended for the motorcycle were installed (incorrect tire size)"

I understand that with other bikes such as the R1 the ABS computer "learns" the size of whatever tires are installed, so larger tires aren't a problem - but I have seen no such information regarding Honda's C-ABS system. Knowing how poorly implemented the Honda system is, I wouldn't doubt that they never took into account different sized tires!

Is anyone out there using a 190/55/17 on the back of a C-ABS bike and if so did it cause any problems - such as upsetting the abs electronics or bringing up a warning light, etc?

thanks for all the help
amnesia
Just a follow up:

Decided to "bite the bullet" and bought a set of Michelin Power RS tires (2014 1000rr ABS):

Front: 120/70ZR-17
Rear: 190/55ZR-17

I have never had an ABS light with the original OEM Dunlop Q2's, and there's no hint of an ABS light with the 190 /55's either. The ABS brakes work exactly as they should (and always have). You could not tell the difference (brake wise).

Now handling, that's a different story. Took the blade to my favourite twisty road (Sea to Sky Highway) for a "spirited" ride and scrubbed them in. It was a beautiful, smokin' hot day evening. The tires were a little "squirrely" at first, which was partly the new rubber, and mostly me getting used to the new profile on the rear. All I can say is - I was blown away! The handling was unbelievable. It was like getting a brand new bike. After about 70 km's I started getting into some serious high speed lean angles, and the grip and handling were unreal. To say they were "confidence inspiring" is an understatement. The blade effortlessly wanted to "fall into" the corners in a smooth & predictable way. The "turn in" was awe inspiring. If I would have known what the 190/55's were like, I would have tossed the OEM's the day after I bought the blade.

The only other notable result of the higher profile rear tire is that the bike sits quite a bit higher. I'm 5'8'' and I used to be able to comfortable sit "flat footed" at traffic lights. Now I'm slightly to the "***** of my feet" at standstill. No big deal at all, but for those who are "vertically challenged" it might be an issue. But the benefits in handling are totally worth it. Now, all I can think about is getting the suspension "dialed in" and heading out to the track (which I had no desire to do before)

I can definitely recommend upgrading to a 190/55 rear tire, and the Michelin Power RS is fantastic choice. My main motive for writing this review is so that no one will have to endure the OEM tires for fear of pissing off the quirky C-ABS unit as I did. And I have had my "issues" with the C-ABS in my previous blade, so I totally understand wanting to leave "well enough" alone - but I'm here to tell you to go ahead (disclaimer - your results may be different than mine, but I doubt it). If your C-ABS brakes worked before (and that's a great big if) then they will work after the upgrade. You will not experience any problems with the C-ABS brakes, and these tires will put a great big smile on your face.

Respect, Amnesia.

Disclaimer: I can't tell you how they perform in the rain, and I hope that I never will - but living in Vancouver, that's pretty unlikely.