Red Paint Coming off my New 1000rr '08

Old 11-10-2008, 11:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red Paint Coming off my New 1000rr '08

Hiall,

i'm from Singapore and i own a Candy Red and black Honda 1000rr 2008. I just bought it 1 month ago.
i have problems with the paintwork of my bike. When i use wax to polish the candy red fairing, i see stains of red on my polishing clothe. this means that the red paint is coming off. I have tried many brands of wax, even high end brands like autoglym, which are all clearcoat safe. Yet the candy red paint still comes off. I know that wax has abrasive properties to remove oxidation and slight sratches, but this should only remove a thin layer of the clear coat, and not the base paint below. Interestingly, only the parts painted in candy red have this problem. The black parts like my fuel tank does not.

I have notified my Honda dealer in Singapore and they have taken some photos of the candy red paint coming off. and said they will send it to Honda Japan to investigate. They have not given me a reply yet.
I have read online of people experiencing the same problem. However, their discussion on the forum about this problem all end abruptly with the notion that they will speak to the dealer, but so far i have not read any replies on the outcome.

I have read some peoples opinion that Honda is using a new technology which mixes the paint and the clear coat so that they can paint the bike in one single application. Some say its a new water based paint and such technology saves time, money and is eco friendly.
This is unlike traditional painting methods where they first paint the colour then add 2-3 layers of clear coats above to give shine and protection from oxidation and scratches. Whatever it is, its very disturbing to see red paint on my polishing clothe. It only means that the new painting method does not render the same kind of protection that 2-3 layers of clear coat gives. I am concerned that my paintwork will detoriate with further waxing. I wish to state that this is not a problem due to insuffiecient time for paint curing as the bike was manufactured many months ago.

With regards to the white discolouration from the exhaust, i too have the same problem.

What answer did your dealer give u about the paint and exahust discolouration problem?
Is this a serious problem? Will paint quality detoriate over time?
Is there going to be a recall for the paintwork or exhaust?

Hope your guys can help to answer the questions above. thanks!
I promise to post the reply from my honda dealer as soon as they get back to me

Old 11-11-2008, 10:57 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal
Default RE: Red Paint Coming off my New 1000rr '08

Thats my only gripe with this bike.. the Clear coat sucks ***. I'v already scrached "very minor but im a perfectionist" small little marks on my black tank. it pisses me off but Im ok with the fact that atleast it's a plastic tank and I can buy a brand new cover for it and poof. so if I scrach it noticably. *right now im pretty much the only one who's ever noticed it, in the right light you cant see it.

the exhaust is just going to change color i suggest powder coating it.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:42 PM

Why are you waxing such a new bike. Just wash it you should only be using wax to get rid of surface scatches.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:57 PM

^^ Waxing is a private affair...every man has the choice to wax whenever he wants, whatever he wants. Especially in Singapore, the world's cleanest city...no joke.

Sorry about the paint, Blue, what does it look like on the bike? You mentioned red on your buffing pad, what about the fairing, is it dulling, fading, or looking like its coming off?

How about the night race, did you make it to the F1 event? Sure looked beautiful on television...

Old 11-17-2008, 12:16 AM

ORIGINAL: CBRjosh1000rr

Why are you waxing such a new bike. Just wash it you should only be using wax to get rid of surface scatches.
You are probably talking about polish, not wax...

Polish is a mild abrasive used to smooth the surface of the paint. That smooth surface is what gives the paintjobit'sshine and reflective properties and creates the illusion of depth in the paint. Some polishes claim to "feed" the paint and keepit in newer condition but I'm not sure how much I buy that one. You only want to polish if you want to renew that smooth layer because it WILL remove some paint each time you do it.

Wax however is as a sacraficial layer of protectant that keeps contaminants from getting to the actual paint and to some degree will "fill in" the verytiny imperfections to povide 'shine'. Different waxes provide different levels of protection and shine but they aren't meant to remove scratches. You can wax it all you want and it shouldn't hurt anything.

Old 12-12-2008, 09:15 AM

Actually I have a simple answer to this.. Have any of you actually noticed that ONLY the tank cover is clear coated???? The rest of the plastices ARE NOT clear coated... This is your answer.

Old 12-12-2008, 12:54 PM

I wax my 06 600rr red/black all the time { 2-3 times a month } to keep a really high gloss shine.I use theMeguiars Motorcycle Wax that I bought at Walmart and it seems to work great. Little high in price since a little bottle of motorcycle wax cost almost the same as a big bottle of car wax. But to me its worth to pay a little more for the better wax.