Recommened Service?????

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Recommened Service?????

when im on idle the temp is about 188 - 190 .. but when i roll on the road it gets to 215 .. is that normal . i checked the coolant level every time b4 i ride and its at the proper level .. any one has any idea..?

Old 11-11-2006, 05:50 PM

That does seem a lil bit hot, but not much. Pends on where you live. In the summer mine runs over 200 almost all the time.

Old 11-11-2006, 07:43 PM

san antonio tx
when it is over 100 out my bike sits in traffic at 230ish with honda coolant in it
fan constantly on
pure water and water wetter will cool it down a bit more than that

Old 11-12-2006, 06:14 PM

My new one yesterday was running about 175-185 while riding. At red lights it would climp up to 215 then the fan came on. It was 70degrees here yesterday but it is 50 and raining now...

Old 11-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All sportbikes do the hard "clunk" when shifting into first, Kawasakis, Yamaha's, Suzuki's, etc. Honda's are bit more noticable, but it's normal. You need to get the inital service done at 600 miles (I would recommend taking it to a trustworthy dealer or shop for this.......they check everything to make sure it's up to snuff.) The next service is recommended at 4,000 miles, but I do mine every 2,000 miles. I find engines and other parts last a lot longer that way.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:19 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: Jesse0376

im glad the jump is normal mine does it to pretty hard but i have 3500 miles on my bike never did the 600 oil change
You never did the 600 mile service????? That's the most critical oil change to do on bikes like ours. It's break-in oil to get dirt, contamination and possible metal shavings flushed out of your engine.......that's why you ride below 5,000 RPM until you get the 600 miles broken in. And PLEASE don't tell me you still have the break-in oil at 3500 miles!

Old 11-13-2006, 12:04 AM

who actually leaves the break in oil in longer than a few hundred period

and the 5000 rpm thing
thats fine if you are riding a bike from 20 years ago
if people would actually read their owners manual the only limits it gives on breaking in are on page 212 (in the 06 manual)
and i quote
avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration

ride it like you stole it right out of the dealer change the oil to full synth as soon as you get it home
pretty much the newest advice out there

get with the times

as far as taking it to the dealer
good god if you are that willing to throw money away give it to me
all they do is check for leaks
change the oil
and make sure all the bolts are torqued
you can do it yourself with an owners manual and a torque wrench

Old 11-13-2006, 09:18 PM

yes still have break in oil at 3500 but im goin to change it before i ride again

Old 11-14-2006, 06:27 AM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: baxsom

who actually leaves the break in oil in longer than a few hundred period

and the 5000 rpm thing
thats fine if you are riding a bike from 20 years ago
if people would actually read their owners manual the only limits it gives on breaking in are on page 212 (in the 06 manual)
and i quote
avoid full throttle starts and rapid acceleration

ride it like you stole it right out of the dealer change the oil to full synth as soon as you get it home
pretty much the newest advice out there

get with the times

as far as taking it to the dealer
good god if you are that willing to throw money away give it to me
all they do is check for leaks
change the oil
and make sure all the bolts are torqued
you can do it yourself with an owners manual and a torque wrench
I'm a strong believer in taking the bike to the dealer (one you trust) to get the first service done, especially if you aren't familiar with motorcycles. For me, I had a defective starter. It would just a little after the engine was done cranking. The dealer found this problem before I even knew about it, and it was during the 600 mile checkup. So yeah, in my case, paying the little $40 bucks for the checkup was well worth it for me.

So you see, I trust my dealer with everything (especially since the owner is a good family friend).......and I trust his word and advice. He suggested I stay around the 5,000 RPM mark during the break-in period. He has a long experience in this kind of stuff, mine isn't so long. He races his track-built 600RR at the local track, and rides either his 600RR or 1000RR to work everyday, so I would think he knows what he's talking about. Not to mention he's a certified Honda tech and services a lot of the bikes himself. But that's my story, not everyone has a dealer they can trust, so I relay trustworthy information I get from mine. That's all.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:56 AM

40 BUCKS
i want your dealer

most people that have posted the price of the 600 miles service say it is in the neighborhood of 200-250

and if your dealer is checking the starter on the 600m service then he is going above and beyond

they are only required to do what is marked in the owners manual

so no one wants to pay 250 bucks for an oil change

now the big services like the 16k one where the valves are checked then yeah dealer can do that but get ready to pay 3-400 bucks for that one

of course it is understandable that there are people that would rather just take things to the dealer because they dont either have the time/experience/proper tools whatever to do the work themselves

but it is so much more rewarding to get the manual and tools and do things right

too many horror stories of crappy dealers leaving oil drains loose etc

Quick Reply: Recommened Service?????