Rear Tire on '08 1kRR

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 10:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Rear Tire on '08 1kRR

So I am going to need a new rear tire in about 500 miles so probably the next week or two.. I currently have the OEM dunlop qualifier on it and I will only have about 3000 miles on it when it hits the wear bars....

First question, Is this a normal amount of miles you guys are seeing out of your rear, if not are you running a different tire...

Second Qeustion, I have always run dunlops but I want an aggressive tire that is going to last longer than an oil change. I have been told to put Michelin PP 2 cts on it, but i would like to know how many miles people are getting out of these...

I am probably going to put qualifier back on so that I dont have to change the front this time, but I might look into changing to the pp2ct's next time...

Old 05-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the pp2ct's will get anywhere from 2k to 5k depending on how you ride. If you want mileage out of a tire you may want to try the pp road 2's. they have a hard compound in the center and the soft egdes of the pp's.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Default tire choice

Originally Posted by PlayfulGod
the pp2ct's will get anywhere from 2k to 5k depending on how you ride. If you want mileage out of a tire you may want to try the pp road 2's. they have a hard compound in the center and the soft egdes of the pp's.
I run Pirelli Diablo corsa III and those are my favored for track and street, the only thing that is bad is I change them every 3k miles and they cost about $350-400.
And about 2ct they last less than the DC3 cause they softer compound but they grab like no other tire , so it s all depends on your riding style, if you just need regular tires go for Bridgestone Battlax BT-003 hard compound .I hope this helps.

Old 05-30-2009, 11:29 PM

I ride hard, push hard through corners and pull hard in straights... I dont do track days but need the grip in the curves... I really think that I am just going to have to suck it up and fork out the money a lot more often.

I guess the difference between 100hp on the tire on my f3 to 150+ on the 1krr

Old 05-31-2009, 01:02 AM

Literbikes eat back tires for lunch! I have about 3k on this tire, and it's down to the layer of rubber that contains the cords (no cords are showing yet). I never do burnouts or clutch dumps. most of these miles are to and from work. But the rest is from hard riding on curvy backroads accelarating out of corners and in the straights. Welcome to the cost of speed and power my freind!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-03-2009, 05:03 PM

pp2ct's but a 55 series in the back. lots of track days and canyon riding. typically 1500 to 2000 miles but it is fun leaving black marks out of the exits of corners.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:13 PM

I run the pilot powers and i did on my 600 and now one my 1k. I dont see how everyone gets so many miles on a tire I only get about 2000 on rear and 4000 on the front

Old 06-05-2009, 11:00 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did approximately 8000 miles on my OEM Dunlops qualifers..lol and already started seeing a little bit of the wires so quickly changed and had the Michelin Power Pilots installed. Luv the pilots as I've had them on with other bikes and there're awesome with carving up the twisties.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Will1000RR
I did approximately 8000 miles on my OEM Dunlops qualifers..lol and already started seeing a little bit of the wires so quickly changed and had the Michelin Power Pilots installed. Luv the pilots as I've had them on with other bikes and there're awesome with carving up the twisties.
How did you get 8000 miles out of a OEM qualifier? Do you ever twist the throttle?

Old 06-06-2009, 03:07 PM

I got 3500 miles out of a set of Pirelli diablo corsa's that my bike came with. After that, I switched to Pilot Powers and got about 6500 miles out my first set. Im now on my second set of Pilot Powers and am around 5500 miles right now. I can see my wear bars getting close, but the tire is still fairly round. there is a noticable flat spot, but not like I had with the pirelli, or dunlops I've had in the past.

Also, these tires are really sticky, especially for how durable they are. Of course, I think it all depends on where you ride. The average temp here is around 75 in the summer, plus the roads around here are fairly twisty, meaning the bike doesnt stay straight up and down that much. If I lived if florida, I would imagine that tire life would be cut down significantly, hot and a bunch of straight roads. Although they did last quite a bit longer than the factory tires, plus they are stickier. But I've heard the tires on the bike from the factory are different than what you buy directly from the tire manufacturer.

Quick Reply: Rear Tire on '08 1kRR