Please help, My bike does not start

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 03:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help, My bike does not start

I have my bike stored in the garage during the winter and i have 1000rr with the power commande 3. this year i have tried to start after putting brand new battery the pc3 is not getting the power and not letting my bike start. so i unhooked the pc3 and put the bike to company setting. the bike still does not start.

Last summer when my battery died i tried to give it a jump with my car, will this damage anything?

Is it possible if the fuel injecters are not receiving any power (how do i check it?) if they are not receiving any power what should be my next step.

Please advise....appreciate your help.

Old 03-21-2011, 07:30 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jump starting from a car with a much higher amp capacity than the bike can handle is not good for it. However, if the car wasn't running it should be ok. Did the bike run since you tried to jump start it?

I would say bad gas as far as not starting but you said it is not getting any power. In that case inspect the fuses. Also, you said you unplugged various things to return it to factory stock. Check all wiring connections and make sure everything is plugged in and seated tightly. You should hear a 'click' when you plug them together.

I can email you a link to d/l the service manual for the 08 1000RR if you don't have one. What year is yours?

Old 03-21-2011, 10:18 PM

If your car was running and you atttempted to jump start it, it is very possible you fried your electrical system.

To help answer your question, if you were to jump start, MAKE SURE YOUR CAR IS NOT RUNNING. hook up the cables to the battery and then press the start button.

Does it turn over at all?

Next, check your fuses, they are located under your seat.

If the bike turns over and does not fire, you would then check your spark. Pull the gas tank off to get to the spark plugs, pull a plug, press starter, see if you see a spark.

3 elements to make a basic engine run. Power, fire and air.

If you have a spark, then you need to see if you have fuel, when you turn the key, you should here a small engine whine, thats the fuel injectors priming the cylinders, if it does that you are probably getting fuel. Hope that helps troublehoot.

Old 03-21-2011, 11:43 PM

Hi Roadijeff and Sephens, My bike is year 2006 1000rr. I had my car running when I jumped the battery. Right now i cannot hear the fuel pump prime and the fuel injectors are not getting the power. I am not sure that if the spark plugs are getting any power. There is only one fule of 30amp under the seat and all other fuses under the left fairing and they all are ok. Is there any kind of modules that might have blown off when i tried to jump it. I hope its not the Computer module. I have the lights are working fine and when i give the ignition it cranks but does not start. Can you tell me which module gives the power to the fuel pump and fuel injectors so i can check it. I really appreciate you help and your time you took to reply.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:14 AM

It could be the voltage regulator, its located inside the rear tail fairing. Those are about 50-60 bucks. I'm pretty sure that there is a fuse box under the seat, it houses the fuses for your entire bike, headlights, ecm, fuel pump, tail lights, speedometer. I have an 05 and thats where mine is. I am out of town so I can't get to my bike to look at it. Keep me posted on your status.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:18 PM

Hi Stephans, I really appreciate your help. I have the fuse box under the left fairing and the reason the bike was not getting started was faulty engine cut off switch. I have replaced the switch. I have seen my friend's Hanyes repair manual which had the wiring diagram. So i traced the wire and checked the switch and it was not working. I think that when i tried to jump the battery the high amp and variations in voltage has surged the wiring and the cutoff switch is made in the way that it will not allow the high voltage go any further in the system, basically it works like a fuse. So after replacing it my bike is now up and running and the power commander is in good shape too.

I really appreciate your help and time you have took to help me out. So now on i am not jumping the battery anymore (not even with the car engine off), i will have the battery tender hooked up to it instead.

Thanks a lot.

Old 03-24-2011, 02:25 PM

Yeah,

The 06' has the fuse box under the front left fairing.. There isn't room under the seat with the set up for that year.. A bit of a pain in the *** if you are on the road and you blow a fuse but the bike still rocks!

Old 04-23-2011, 09:56 PM

hey mate,my regulator has **** its self,, having trouble finding it?? its a 2005 1000rr? could u help plz