overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2020, 11:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating

hi all I have a rr7 thats boiling water. Replaced the rad flushed filled with antifreeze and burped but its still boiling the water. Has anyone got any ideas please?

Old 07-21-2020, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

You'll want to confirm that your fan is kicking on (you can jumper it, or else just run it til warm and listen for it)

Also confirm that you have the correct rad cap. Different ranges can do weird things. Probably not a bad idea to check out the thermostat as well

Old 07-21-2020, 07:17 PM
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Could you describe your temps from start up pls. It might be easier to record using a pen and paper including the times and temps on increase. End it with the temp and time the fan kicks in. Once the fan starts, set off on a free air run and tell us what you’ve got.
i think your probably looking at around 10 minutes to get up to the fan kicking in from a cold start.
If your fan doesn’t kick in, follow tentacleslaps advice and prove a few critical components to keep your temp’s more stable.
Best of luck mate.

The following users liked this post:
churchill301 (07-21-2020)
Old 07-21-2020, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by wes 17
Could you describe your temps from start up pls. It might be easier to record using a pen and paper including the times and temps on increase. End it with the temp and time the fan kicks in. Once the fan starts, set off on a free air run and tell us what you’ve got.
i think your probably looking at around 10 minutes to get up to the fan kicking in from a cold start.
If your fan doesn’t kick in, follow tentacleslaps advice and prove a few critical components to keep your temp’s more stable.
Best of luck mate.

Checked thermostat works fine fan starts at 102. Motorway riding bike stays at 81 as soon as I come into slow traffic temp rises quickly and reaches 120 then the red light starts to flash. I fitted a new rad and the problems started. Flushed the system filled with antifreeze burped a couple of times. But water seems to boil. The inside of the radiator cap seems very wobbly.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:20 AM

Have you got your system filled with coolant and water ? I guess you have but the post reads antifreeze.
Do your temps rise and fall as you would expect but only go high when stationary for a while.
i understand you can hear your fan but have you visually checked it in operation, ie fan motor turning and fan sat there like a lemon.
The water pump could play a part, you could remove it and check for damage. Did your new radiator come with its own cap and as tentacleslap suggests check the value on whatever you are using to see if you have the correct size.
Best of luck mate.

Old 07-22-2020, 05:52 AM

Have you got your system filled with coolant and water ? I guess you have but the post reads antifreeze.
Do your temps rise and fall as you would expect but only go high when stationary for a while.
i understand you can hear your fan but have you visually checked it in operation, ie fan motor turning and fan sat there like a lemon.
The water pump could play a part, you could remove it and check for damage. Did your new radiator come with its own cap and as tentacleslap suggests check the value on whatever you are using to see if you have the correct size.
Best of luck mate.

Filled with antifreeze and water ive watched the fan kick in at 102 new rad didn't come with a cap i was thinking they would be the same size? . Ive looked at the waterproof and all seems ok no bent or broken fins but it is tough to spin im guessing that's because its driven by the motor. Or should it spin freely?

Old 07-23-2020, 03:09 AM

My RR5 fan spins freely without the engine running. Same with my RRS. Have You somehow fouled the fans running ability with your new radiator ? I’d also check your radiator coolant level again.
Best of luck mate

Old 07-23-2020, 03:13 AM

My RR5 fan spins freely without the engine running. Same with my RRS. Have You somehow fouled the fans running ability with your new radiator ? I’d also check your radiator coolant level again.
Best of luck mate

Radiator fan spins freely but waterpump is tough to turn when not on the bike

Old 08-11-2020, 09:02 AM
Default still overheating

hi all I have a 07 blade my radiator went pop a few weeks ago but before that everything was fine. Replaced the rad refilled with water and antifreeze runs fine on the motorway but once in traffic temp rises quickly. Fan kicks on at 102 ive replaced the radiator cap ive checked for a bad head gasket but you can still hear water boiling. Burped plenty 9f times but still the same. Ive had the water pump off and it turns but its stiff to turn is that normal? T stat works fine. I cant think wot else it can be. Please some1 help

Old 08-11-2020, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
Received 340 Likes on 279 Posts

No, it shouldn't be stiff to turn.

Quick Reply: overheating