NOTICE: RECALL '06-'07 models

Old 11-30-2007, 03:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NOTICE: RECALL '06-'07 models

Heard from a reliable source that there's a service notice coming out soon on the 06-07 model 1000RR's. It has to do with a vent pipe inside or on the bottom of the fuel tank. Apparently it can form a leak causing gas to drip out onto the top of the motor.
Honda is going to be sending out notices early-mid december as I understand it. I don't think it's all from both years, just a select few from a certain production date range.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:05 AM
Default RE: NOTICE: RECALL '06-'07 models

Hi, my name is Adam. I'm new to the forum. I noticed your post about a possible recall on the 06'-07' CBR's. Well, I just got my bike back from the shop about a week ago.I was at the beach about 2 monthsback when I noticedthat I had some fluid leaking down the front sproket cover. I thought it was oil at first. But, soon discovered it was gas. I was 150 miles from home. When I got the bike back to the house. I lifted the tank. It took me about 3 hours to discover the problem. I shined a flash light on the tank and wiped it with a rag. Sure enough, there was a hair line crack in the tank about 3/4 of an inch from the vent hose. I took it to the Honda Houseand told them about what I had seen. They told me they would replace the tank and it should still be under warranty. Unfortunately, it would take almost 2 weeks to get the tank. Well, the next day they called me back and told me they had fixed the bike. I was like "NO WAY!" They told me the tank was fine. They just put some clamps on the vent and drain hose. I already new they hadn't fixed the problem. I got all the way over there and the tank still leaked. I told him agian that the tank was cracked. He was like "O.K. go wait out front and look around while I talk to the Mechanic." Well, a few minutes later he came back and was like "Well, were going to replace the fuel line." I was like "Man, the tank has a crack in it." Unfortunately he didnt' agree. But, anyway, to cut a long story short, they finally accepted that the tank was cracked. It took 3 weeks to get the bike back. But, yeah, there is a good chance of a recall on the tanks. I experienced it first hand.

Old 11-30-2007, 07:15 AM

By the way, I have an 06'

Old 11-30-2007, 12:11 PM

any chanceyou canpost a picture of the affected area.. so i can check mine?

Old 11-30-2007, 01:59 PM

Sorry, I didn't take a pic of the tank. But, I guess I could give you an idea of where to look on your tank. There are 2 grey rubber hoses coming outof the bottom of the tanknext the the base of the fuel pump. They are towardsthe left side of the tank directly over the front sprocket cover. There about a half inch in diameter. When I held the flash light on them, I could see the gas seeping out directly in between them whenI wiped itwith a rag. The paint was chipped a little. I assume the crack was there when they painted the tank at the factory. I had the bike a year before it started to leak. I guess with the bike going through all the heat cycles and the metal expanding and contracting. It finally opened up enough to loosen the paint and leak through. I hope this helps.

Old 11-30-2007, 05:01 PM

they said it was only going to be for some bikes during specific months of production for the 06-07. what date was yours produced?

Old 12-01-2007, 10:42 AM

The tag with the VIN number says it was made in February of 06'

Old 12-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Bishop1981

The tag with the VIN number says it was made in February of 06'
CRAP!!!
Me too.. 02/06 on the tag.
But, no problems yet... [&o]

Old 12-01-2007, 07:13 PM

thanks for the info. im going to keep an eye on it.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:53 AM

my Honda district service manager said it's really nothing to worry about. The braze weld is cracking internaly on the tanks. He said it happens where there are rough roads mostly like in New York and places like that is where a lot of the welds are cracking. He doesn't know what the fix is going to yet but he said we should know more in a few days. It's not a recall yet it's just a stop sale notice to all dealerships.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: NOTICE: RECALL '06-'07 models