Newbie, with new 1000 RR, needs your help!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie, with new 1000 RR, needs your help!

I bought a used 2007 1000 RR in Silver today, and I have some questions I'm hoping you fine folks can help me out with. The previous owner definitely did some mods to the bike, but to what extent I can't tell (I bought the bike from a wholesaler, so I can't ask the previous owner what all has been done). It's got a Yoshi RS5 exhaust, some kind of undertail with the license plate relocated to the right side of the swing arm, flush-mount LED signals, all-in-one rear LED tail-light, red anodized bar-ends and bolts throughout.

Here are my questions/issues:

1. I started the bike cold, and it would barely idle without shutting off. Once the bike warmed up, it ran like a top (or like a bat out of hell, take your pick). Is this normal?
2. The turn signals blink very fast, but there aren't any burned-out bulbs. How do I get the signals to flash at a normal speed?
3. Where is a good source to acquire BLACK bar-ends and BLACK bolts (windscreen and fairing bolts)? Anodized red has GOT to go ASAP.
4. What is the preferred chain lube, and how often should I lube the chain (I'm coming from a maintenance-free belt drive Harley, so forgive my ignorance please)?
5. What other things should I look for or examine to see if they've been swapped for something aftermarket (i.e. engine software)?

Thank you all in advance for taking the time to help me out!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:25 PM
VP
Default RE: Newbie, with new 1000 RR, needs your help!

1. Sounds like it may be an issue with the idle starting a little low... I'm not any kind of mechanic so I have no idea how to rectify that issue.

2. Now are the turn signals stock or are they aftermarket? if they're aftermarket then there is a resistor you have to put between the signal and the power supply to keep them blinking the normal rate.

3. If you have a Cycle Gear nearby they have bar ends on the cheap... but you'll find most bike parts for any price on eBay. As far as the windscreen bolts, same goes (ebay is your friend).

4. As far as chain lube goes, DON'T BUY INTO IT. Just clean the chain with WD40 whenever you see it looking dirty or rusty. Never put chain lube on the chain as the O-rings are already lubed from the factory and when you spray that stuff on there it just slings off all over your bike (I heard this straight out of a DuPont salesman's mouth).

5. If there is a power commander on the bike it's possible that may affect the bike running too rich or too lean (which may also be relevent to your issue with the idle at cold start) if it doesn't have a good map on it.

Hope this helps!

Old 04-02-2008, 10:38 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

To add to what VP said, and i am sure if im wrong someone will chime in shortly to tell me so. For #1 you probably have an idle screw or **** near the stator cover or in the duct above it, you can turn that clockwise to turn up your idle speed. I dont use chain lube either, however i do like to apply a light coat of "repsol" chain wax after my cleaning, it makes the next cleaning easier and does not sling around. OH and welcome to the site

Old 04-02-2008, 10:42 PM

ORIGINAL: vpsophmore

4. As far as chain lube goes, DON'T BUY INTO IT. Just clean the chain with WD40 whenever you see it looking dirty or rusty. Never put chain lube on the chain as the O-rings are already lubed from the factory and when you spray that stuff on there it just slings off all over your bike (I heard this straight out of a DuPont salesman's mouth).

Lube your chain. I don't care what an aftermarket vendor says... I will trust my owner's manual because Honda made the bike and they know the requirements. As with many things, too much lube is better than no lube. I'll clean a little lube if it means I don't have to change a chain because I improperly cared for it. BTW, Honda recommends kerosene to clean your chain. I don't know WD-40's results but I have heard a few bad reviews. A few bad reviews of something that cleans a VERY important part of your bike (it can snap and take out your leg) is enough to make me keep to the recommended cleaning agents. WD-40 is not a recommended cleaning agent.

I use a chain/cable wax from my local dealer. $6.

Old 04-02-2008, 11:24 PM

For the Idle issue there's a black plastic **** that is on the left side of the bike. If you were to sit on the bike it would be just a bit lower then your kneecap. It'll look like it's plugged into a plastic tub. Like TK said turn it clockwise and will adjust it up. Also the manual recommends doing this after the engine has warmed up. Should idle around 1200 +/- 100 rpms. If you wanting to replace all of the bolts just do a google motorcycle fastners. You find enough companys that sell complete kits for a decent price.

+1 on the chain wax and checking to see if you have a power commander installed with a bad map.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:29 AM

WHEN IT COMES TO THE BOLTS, FROM PAST EXPIRIENCE I WOULD NOT USE BIKEBOTS.COM. I USED THEM WHEN I REPAINTED MY 900RR AND I WASN'T IMPRESSED. I WENT WITH BLACK BOLTS AND THEY LOOKED BADASS BUT EVERY BOLT USED A DIFFERENT ALLEN WRENCH. IT WAS A HUGE PAIN IN THE *** BUT THAT COULD BE WITH ANY PAINTED BOLTS I GUESS. THAT IS MY TWO CENTS.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:58 AM

Thank you folks for the helpful replies -- I really appreciate it.

Concerning a Powercommander or the like, where are the likely places for such a thing to be installed? I think this may be the culprit, because once the bike warms up the idle is fine, it's only when cold that it's got an idle problem.

As far as my turn signals go, they're definitely aftermarket LEDs. What's a good source to acquire this resistor that I need?

Old 04-03-2008, 10:47 AM

ORIGINAL: R Navigator

Thank you folks for the helpful replies -- I really appreciate it.

Concerning a Powercommander or the like, where are the likely places for such a thing to be installed? I think this may be the culprit, because once the bike warms up the idle is fine, it's only when cold that it's got an idle problem.

As far as my turn signals go, they're definitely aftermarket LEDs. What's a good source to acquire this resistor that I need?

Check in/around your tail section. That would most likely be where it's at.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:41 PM

WHEN IT COMES TO THE BOLTS, FROM PAST EXPIRIENCE I WOULD NOT USE BIKEBOTS.COM.
i think he means bikebolts.com

you can pick up 2 8 ohm, 25 watt resistors at radio shack for prolly less than three bucks, or you can go here and order them for 20.

http://www.pjsparts.com/catalog/prod...roducts_id=137

I don't know about the kind off that website, but I do know if you get the brick style resistors from radio shack they come coated in ceramic, but still get very very hot, and i wrapped mine up in a bundle of electric tape to make sure I didn't melt anything in my tail section

Old 04-03-2008, 12:56 PM

ORIGINAL: jutsin

WHEN IT COMES TO THE BOLTS, FROM PAST EXPIRIENCE I WOULD NOT USE BIKEBOTS.COM.
i think he means bikebolts.com
MY BAD

Quick Reply: Newbie, with new 1000 RR, needs your help!