CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000RR (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/)
-   -   New tires, Scared (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000rr-13/new-tires-scared-81636/)

Gsxr_eater 10-30-2008 06:49 PM

New tires, Scared

Hey guys, I just got new tires..It's buggin me alot every turn i get scared because i know the tires are new..And i really don't want to high low side whatever..What's the best way to break the tires in???

bluej511 10-30-2008 07:07 PM

RE: New tires, Scared

Ride normal, don't lean too much. Scrub the tires with rough sandpaper to get the oil residue of em. Other then that go for a good long ride 100+mi to break them in nice and easy. They just need to be scrubbed thats all.

Gsxr_eater 10-30-2008 07:09 PM

Ahhh i see, Thanks alot..!!

bluej511 10-30-2008 07:14 PM

I just started riding and had to deal with new tires after 1300mi under my belt so i was nervous, used some rough sandpaper and did the whole tire real good. Drove it around for a good ride, nice and easy no hard leans, no hard maneuvers, no hard take offs and u should be fine.

snakerb 10-30-2008 07:27 PM

I just gave the bike to a friend/co-worker and let him ride it for a couple of months (military, I'm deployed and he's taking care of it.

VP 10-30-2008 07:50 PM

Interesting fact!

The oil that's on the tires is just residue from the mold they "bake" the tire in...it let's the tire be removed from the mold easily.

As far as "scrubbing" goes you don't need sandpaper necessarily, just take it nice and easy on the curves and gradually lean over more and more...definitely go very easy on the first tank of gas but stay confident...don't let your mind get in the way of everything.

1wheelwonder 10-31-2008 07:25 AM

the way i do is go for a nice long ride. ride very easy for 20 miles or so, then on your nect 20 miles ride moderate, and when goin through turns, dip the bike deeper in the turn and back up as if your just normally warming up a tire and after about 10-20 miles of this, ride about 10 or 20 miles at about a level 8 getin rid of your chicken stripes just not pushing the tire into the turn to hard and after doin that for the same amount of time, you should be good to beat on the tire all you want!

mininsx 10-31-2008 04:07 PM

The main reason tire manufacturers recommend that you go easy for the first 100 miles is so that you get used to your bike again, 'cause the new tires will make it handle differently. The "mold-release compound" isn't a problem really.

ta8218 10-31-2008 06:35 PM

ORIGINAL: mininsx

The main reason tire manufacturers recommend that you go easy for the first 100 miles is so that you get used to your bike again, 'cause the new tires will make it handle differently. The "mold-release compound" isn't a problem really.
The hell it's not. The only time my pilot powers ever lost traction was when they were new. After that they were perfect rain or shine and I pushed it 5x harder.

TK954RR 10-31-2008 09:59 PM

ORIGINAL: mininsx

The "mold-release compound" isn't a problem really.

Unfortunatly this is not a good statement.

mininsx 11-01-2008 09:42 AM

Well of course you can't expect to hammer the throttle as soon as you leave the dealership, but I've never had a problem with new tires slipping.

thrasher572 11-01-2008 10:53 AM

The pavement rarely gets warm here. My trips to Az have proven to me that some lucky riders get traction that is on an entirely different level than I am used to. Release agent and cold pavement can be a deadly mix. A careful break in is required, and what most of you are describing covers it.

McCone33 11-01-2008 08:44 PM

Two full tanks of gas, gradual leaning and you're done.

WhiteKnite 11-03-2008 07:15 AM

+1 to gradual leaning. I just head up to the twisties and ride progressively faster. You can see once the surface loses its shine, it really only takes a few corners to get them scrubbed in if you dont make any sudden unstable moves. I got my new tiresscuffed to the edges last weekend on less than a tank of gas up in the mountains. Just make sure the tires are warm and dont give it too much too fast.

If you are really worried about it take it to an empty parking lot and do it. Like I said you can clearly see it when the release agent is gone. Once the tires arent shiney you should be fine.

workshirk 11-03-2008 04:18 PM

Most of the above is true, (apart from the coment about the release agent not being a problem!) different tyres break in differently; I've found Dunlops to be horendous whereas I had a pair of Pilot Powers that wouldn't slip, (and I tried)in the wet!!!
The important thingis to go gradually so that each time you lean a little more you are only scrubbing in a small portion i.e.most of the footprint has been scrubbed. 50 - 60 miles is plenty if you ride smoothly,start off upright and lean more and more as you go.
Saying this though, it amazes methat someone buys a bike like a CBR 1000 and needs to ask such a question; this is the sort of stuff you should learn on a small bike, not a 160 bhp rocket! (Just my opinion)

WhiteKnite 11-04-2008 04:27 AM

ORIGINAL: workshirk
it amazes methat someone buys a bike like a CBR 1000 and needs to ask such a question; this is the sort of stuff you should learn on a small bike, not a 160 bhp rocket! (Just my opinion)
Very good point!

RojerLockless 11-04-2008 10:58 AM

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/im...acersmiley.gif

PlayfulGod 11-04-2008 11:06 AM

with the right roads you can have new tires scrubbed in in about 10 miles:D

If you are really worried about em you can scrub em in a parkinglot doin cycles leaning more n more as you do it.

sweetdeal 11-07-2008 12:38 PM

Stop being a pussy and ride the damn thing,
don't be draggin knees on day one and you will be fine...Riding it easy and slow isn't going to "scrub" the outside of the tire anyways, So you can go and rideeasy all day/week/month long, and the first time you take a hard corner the edges are still slick and your ****ed...Just ride it normal (that means not like and idiot) and you will be fine...

McCone33 11-07-2008 07:35 PM

Just get a set of Pilot Powers and your problems are over...

TBagr 11-08-2008 08:00 AM

ORIGINAL: McCone33

Just get a set of Pilot Powers and your problems are over...

why is that? i have used a set of PPs and now just put a set of 2ct s on. i still ride easy till i get em scrubbed.

TheX 11-08-2008 10:16 AM

With a nic like gsxr_eater you should NEVER have to post a thread like this. I believe you told me in one of my threads that the only gsxr that could beat you was a busa????

Typical internet BS. Go home, park the bike before you hurt yourself and take the MSF course.

CBRCRF 11-08-2008 12:54 PM

Everyone knows that when you just ride in a straight line you dont have to worry about scrubbing.

WhiteKnite 11-11-2008 12:05 AM

[sm=owned.gif]

That guy is starting to sound an awful lot like blkout15

Gsxr_eater 11-11-2008 10:56 PM

ORIGINAL: TheX

With a nic like gsxr_eater you should NEVER have to post a thread like this. I believe you told me in one of my threads that the only gsxr that could beat you was a busa????

Typical internet BS. Go home, park the bike before you hurt yourself and take the MSF course.

okay then..whatever man

Gsxr_eater 11-11-2008 10:56 PM

ORIGINAL: WhiteKnite

it amazes methat someone buys a bike like a CBR 1000 and needs to ask such a question; this is the sort of stuff you should learn on a small bike, not a 160 bhp rocket! (Just my opinion)
Very good point!
i been riding for 5months and just barley got new tires.

WhiteKnite 11-12-2008 07:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Gsxr_eater

Very good point!
Exactly... you have ONLY been riding for 5 months and you are on a literbike. You don't even have enough experience with bikes to know how to handle new tires, let alone the 1000cc beast under you. It would be one thing if you had a mature adult attitude but seeing how you reacted to TheX's picturesof his new ride made you sound like a statistic waiting to happen.

Gsxr_eater 11-12-2008 08:02 PM

Very good point!
Exactly... you have ONLY been riding for 5 months and you are on a literbike. You don't even have enough experience with bikes to know how to handle new tires, let alone the 1000cc beast under you. It would be one thing if you had a mature adult attitude but seeing how you reacted to TheX's picturesof his new ride made you sound like a statistic waiting to happen.
Well i have not fell yet so i'm doing good to me..and Thex pics..i wasnt talkin crap about him..just i dont see why people like the 08s they look like crap.

TheX 11-12-2008 08:07 PM

..whatever
Whatever is internet speak for *I got nuthin'*

Electric Mitch 11-12-2008 08:19 PM

Yall cant see it but I am mooning yall to ease the tension in here! [sm=bounceybounce.gif]

WhiteKnite 11-13-2008 02:55 AM

Very good point!
Well i have not fell yet so i'm doing good to me..and Thex pics..i wasnt talkin crap about him..just i dont see why people like the 08s they look like crap.
I'm not a big fan of the styling of the '08s either and have expressed that opinion a few times on threads which were discussing whether or not to get one, or the general styling of the new bike. In fact, I hate that they are ugly to me because I really want oneandthe styling is the only thing that keeps me from buying one. I am happy for people who have a new '08, one because they have a new bike which is always an awesome feeling, and two because it is a really kick ass bike, and they are lucky to either overlook the styling or actually like it (yes other people actually have different tastes than you or I). You don't have to go pissing in X's cornflakes just because you either can't have what he has or just feel like coming across as a dick.

Anyway, whether you fell yet or not it doesn't mean you won't get careless in the future, and I still hold firm in my belief that someone on arace rep should have enough experience with bikes not to have to ask about new tires.

Gsxr_eater 11-13-2008 01:04 PM

Very good point!
I'm not a big fan of the styling of the '08s either and have expressed that opinion a few times on threads which were discussing whether or not to get one, or the general styling of the new bike. In fact, I hate that they are ugly to me because I really want oneandthe styling is the only thing that keeps me from buying one. I am happy for people who have a new '08, one because they have a new bike which is always an awesome feeling, and two because it is a really kick ass bike, and they are lucky to either overlook the styling or actually like it (yes other people actually have different tastes than you or I). You don't have to go pissing in X's cornflakes just because you either can't have what he has or just feel like coming across as a dick.

Anyway, whether you fell yet or not it doesn't mean you won't get careless in the future, and I still hold firm in my belief that someone on arace rep should have enough experience with bikes not to have to ask about new tires.
Yeah that's cool for the people who have them. And i have been on new tires before i was just saying whats the best way to wear them down so they won't slip as much. that's all

wilhon 11-20-2008 06:53 PM

With new tires: You just don't want to overstress your traction with hard throttle inputs, sudden steering/leaning inputs, or hard braking, follow? If you have taken an MSF class, what I'm saying here will have a lot more meaning. Don't be scared, just be smooooooth with your riding inputs. You might want to avoid heavy traffic.