New Member with a question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member with a question

Hello everyone. This seems like a great list with some valuable information about these new CBR motorcycles. I currently own 3 Ducatis, but am in the process of selling one to get a new bike. The 2005/6 CBR 600/1000 is on my short list of bikes that I am interested in. The other two that I am looking at are the 2002 Ducati 998s Bayliss and the 2005/6 Ducati 749S. I know Ducatis fairly well and have been riding them for a number of years. The CBR just seems like a very good value and bang for the buck. I am asking for your advice on the CBR motorcycles. Are there any issues with the models I have mentioned above? What are some typical performance mods people do? I am looking at performance mods, not aesthetic ones. What do you think of the dealerships that you deal with? What online resources, besides this one, are there for purchasing of equipment?

I have about 20 trackdays under my belt, most of which were on my 2001 900SS. This past year, I split time between the SS and the 749S. This is why I am looking to sell the SS and get a new bike. The 749S is just way too much fun. I definitely still do street riding, so the bike needs to be able to pull double duty. That being said, the best price I have seen for an '06 749S is $14000. That is alittle high when you compare it to the CBR 600/1000rr bikes. Thanks in advance and I hope to hear what you have to say.

Old 11-14-2005, 02:53 PM
Default RE: New Member with a question

As far as problems with the models you mentioned, there no real outstanding issues that I'm aware of. Arguably, the CCT is a re-curring problem with CBRs.

What are you looking for in a track bike? The reason I ask is because the CBR, though a very capable track bike, is a different beast than te Ducs on the track. The suspension is a little beefier on the Ducs and better suited for track riding. Plus, the power delivery of the Duc tends to be a bit crisper.

FWIW, I'd have gotten the 749S instead of the 600RR if it weren't for the Duc's abusive (and money-consuming) maintenance schedule.

The other issue is "how much money do you have to spare?" Things for Ducs tend to cost more than for CBRs. But then again, you probably won't have to spend as much since the Duc comes with some beefier stuff (e.g. suspension).

Old 11-14-2005, 03:25 PM

This is the kind of info I am looking for. Do many people upgrade the suspension? And what about the brakes? I am used to the Ducati service schedule, but I will never get used to the initial investment. What is the CBR maintainence schedule? What is the CCT you were refering to?

Thanks again.

Old 11-14-2005, 04:07 PM

ORIGINAL: rangerrotty

Do many people upgrade the suspension?
Depends how you define "many". Most avid track riders and racers will put on some form of aftermarket suspension. Most street riders won't. The Ducs these days now come with a full adjustable Ohlins suspension. That'll likely save you from spending an extra $2k (if you also factor in fork work).

And what about the brakes?
The brakes are one of the best performance features on the CBR. Most people will do stainless steel brake lines. Don't recall what the Ducs come with. The really hardcore track riders and racers will likely put on radial master cylinders and probably put on more race-oriented rotors. Do the Ducs already come with radial master cylinders (I thought they did)???

I am used to the Ducati service schedule, but I will never get used to the initial investment.
I'm the other way around. I can deal with the large initial investment (most of that is the cost of the bike) but the service schedule will kill me as I put over 12k miles per year on a bike plus track time.

What is the CBR maintainence schedule?
Valve checks occur at 16k miles as compared to the Ducs 6k interval. That's the major thing. Most of the other stuff one can do themselves (e.g. oil changes, filters, brake fluids, etc). That occurs at some multiple of 8k or 12k miles.

What is the CCT you were refering to?
Forget I even said that. Its a problem that plagued the F4i and many people claim to have it with later bikes (without even knowing for sure if it is indeed a problem).

the nice thing about the Duc (for the track rider) is that its more track-oriented right off the showroom floor. So the initial investment isn't as big a deal (to the track rider).

IMHO, if you're really into trackdays and don't mind the maintenance of the Duc, I think you're better off with the Duc. But if you want to try something different, then get the CBR (which is still a VERY capable track bike). You'll just have to adjust your riding style according.

Old 11-14-2005, 05:40 PM

My bike is a do it all Horse too, i`ve had no trouble in 11000 miles in 8 months from new. 12 trackdays, and i find i can set the standard suspension up for tracks well and it copes well too, this winter i plan to change the fluid in the forks and while i`m there i will replace the springs for some more exotic items like ohlins, but this is because while i`m there i thought i would not because of any issues i`ve had.

The brakes were the first item i modified, steel braids and decent pads, the standard `rotors` are holding up well, i had some issues with fade on the originals through track use. Easy maintenace is a +

A selection of sprockets will probably be on the cards for next year, so i can tweek for different tracks.

You ever had any issues with things wearing on the Dukes?

Old 11-14-2005, 07:18 PM

I was thinking that a set of 4-pad brembo calipers would be good for the front. As for the suspension, maybe raceteching them would be good. An ohlins rear would make it nice and cushy too. For gearing, what is the most common mod? Up in the rear or down in the front?

Knock on wood, but the Ducs have treated me very well. The 749S had a bit of a stalling issue early in its life, but that seems to have sorted itself out. The SS has been rock solid for all 16,200+ miles I have put on it. Started on the first try every time. The SS, 2-valve, services aren't bad, but the 749S, 4-valve, services can get pricy.

I really appreciate the advice and thoughts. What have you all seen for pricing on the 2005/6 CBR 600/1000's?

Old 11-15-2005, 09:04 PM

I went to the dealer right by my house today. They have at least two 2005 600's and 1000's. It seemed like they were advertising about $1000 off the MSRP, plus taxes and other fees. Do you all think there is more room for movement on that price? Another question I have is about the rear seat. I would definitely want to remove the seat and pegs. Do they make a cowl to replace the seat? If so, how much does that cost generally?

Thanks again!

Old 11-15-2005, 09:39 PM
Retired Mod

yeah they make rear seat cowls. they are available directly from honda and from a few aftermarket companies. i believe that they are in the neighborhood of $200. i know they exist, but the price is purely a guess. i ride a 2000 cbr929rr and i paid $189 for mine. www.targa-acc.com is where i got it.

Old 11-15-2005, 09:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing wrong with the CBR 600/1000 is that you don't own one yet![8D]

Old 11-16-2005, 08:42 AM

As regards the seat cowl, get one thrown in from the dealer with the deal. Cheap for him expensive for you.

Quick Reply: New Member with a question