My idle screw is not working

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My idle screw is not working

I have an 05 1000RR with close to 15000 miles on it. I recently changed the oil with some more synthetic oil, lubed the chain, and added son fuel injection cleaner that I got from the local CycleGear store. All of a sudden my bike rides like crap. The engine sounds like it is at 12000 rpms when I amonly at 5500 Rpm's. Theengine sounds like its straining, and my normal Rpm shift point have seemed to gone up. Even the exhaust note is higher, so I figured that maybe I need to readjust the idle because the fuel injecter may have done it's job and freed up some lost power. But as I turned the idle screw nothing happened. I turned the screw both up and down and the engine didn't change. I think that maybe the idle cable came loose. what do you guys think? has this happened to anyone else?

Old 09-20-2008, 10:59 PM
Default RE: My idle screw is not working

Im not sure what happened. But from the events that took place, I would think to look at one the things you did.

what type of oil did you use?
did you use the proper amount of oil?
was the injector cleaner safe for your bike?
how injector cleaner did you put in the tank?

Some injector cleaners are not compatible with every injector. Some are pretty potent and its possible the cleaner ate away the o-rings or gaskets in your injectors. Its a long shot as most materials used nowadays are very good, but it is a possibility.

There is also the other possibility that you put too much injector cleaner in the mix. If this is done, it can make your gas less combustable and may be your entire problem. you may need to flush some gas out and refill to make the correct ratio.

Old 09-21-2008, 01:45 AM

I used 100% synthetic oil like the previous owner did. The fuel injection cleaner said that is was safe to use the entire bottle on a full tank of gas, so I did. This was the second time I used the cleaner because I just got the bike a few months ago, and I don't really know how well the guy maintained it, so I tried to be proactive. I do believe I put too much oil in the engine when I changed the oil because I was a little past the full line, but I figured that I'd burn the excess oil off in a couple of weeks. Can i fix the throttle cable myself, or do I have to take into the dealer?

[IMG]local://upfiles/11340/2BBCA8063F6644F5A085FCB04E076748.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-21-2008, 10:12 AM

No idea what happened. But I will tell you a little story about me and my car (2003 Mazda protege). Buying gas one day, car was almost exactly at 60,000 mile mark. Decided WTH, went inside and bought some fuel injector cleaner. Put it in. About half way to work (30 miles after fill up)car starts sputtering. Hmmm. Wonder what's up. But gotta get to work. So finish trip, go to work, after work drive home and all is fine with car. Next day drive in to work, car starts the sputtering crud again. Then blamo. Lights come on, car sounds like someone put bb's in engine, etc. Blown engine. Had to buy a new engine.... Coincidence? Dunno but I sure dont trust fuel injector cleaner anymore. lol