My Highway to Heaven Experience

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 02:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Highway to Heaven Experience

So, I decided to take a 75 mile highway ride this past weekend. I had only done about 15 miles on the highway since I got my bike, I mostly ride around in the city. I never considered head winds, but it played a big factor. No matter how much I tucked down on the tank, the winds battered me relentlessly, so much that I could not even lean into the the turns (or it at least felt that way). To my surprise, the trafiic was going about 75 mph on average...so the more I had to keep pace, the worst the winds hit me.

It got to a point where I had no confidence leaning and the bike seemed to deviate about 3 or 4 inches with every gust of wind. It just felt like I was about to be blown off the road. Is this normal? Should I be doing something different? I saw motorcycleguys coming the opposite way in almost an upright position seemingly not struggling with the wind. One guy waved at me with his hand and am upward like a high five. I couldn't imagine taking either one of my hands off the bars the way the wind was hitting me.

I made sureto control my fear (anxiety) out there, but I am not so confident hitting the highway anymore. Things seemed to get better as the wind was against my back on the return home, but then it started to rain. I still have that coating (on new tires) around the edges of my tires, so I was even more reluctant to do any leaning, which made turning a hectic experience.I have always made it a point to not get caught in the rain. How much easier is it for a bike to slip in the rain while leaning etc?

So, was this just awild first experience with the wind and rain? Or can I expect to be pounded by wind on the highway regardless?

P.S. I also ran out of gas just as I was pulling into a Parking lot of a restuarant, I had never noticed the "light" during my wind battle. I had to walk about 1/4 mile to a gas station, buy a portable tank etc. Bike wouldn't start at first, but then I notice that the engine kill switch was about 1/5 of the way pushed in. I reset it and everything work out fine.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: My Highway to Heaven Experience

bad day for you

Old 05-21-2007, 06:25 PM

is this your first bike? even in 20mph wind you should be fine now 45/50 is another story. Just ride through it, you will return to center, and you will get use to it do not over adjust as the wind will die down or increase wind constantly changes. It soundsas if you were just nervous being on the hwy so you were noticingevery little thing, hence why you were on the way back you didntnotice it as much.now riding in the rain get off the hwy, again get off the hwy!

Old 05-24-2007, 05:35 AM

I am a big, tall, wide guy and two rods down my back that prevent me from tucking down to the tank. I just sit strait up and deal with it. You'll get used to it. I do agree with 7thgear though, does sound like your first bike or highway experience. I remeber those days! LOL!!!

Old 05-24-2007, 11:06 AM

Good to know that it will get better as I get used to it. It just seemed like I was at the mercy of wind and could be blown off the road at any time.

Thanks for the input you guys made.

Old 05-24-2007, 03:48 PM

I mean you get used to it. Just riding around town doesnt even get the speed up to do your CBR justice. Ride more on the highway. I find mines quite comfy and relaxing on the highway.